U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 AM

37 posts, read 110,531 times

Advertisements

I've read through the forum and what I've seen regarding moving to Hot Springs is very out of date. My husband, 3 year old, and I live in Mobile, AL and are thinking about moving back closer to home (Idabel, OK) but want to find somewhere with things to do and a good job market that's within driving distance for a weekend to go see my parents. I work in the medical reception field so was wondering if I would have a problem finding work there. My husband is in wildlife management (capturing and releasing wild animals from homes and insulation). Of course we'd like our son to be in a good school district and we'd need to find a house to rent in a safe area that would be pet friendly.
While we've visited Hot Springs and loved it, we didn't pay attention to which parts of town were good or bad because we hadn't thought about moving there. Any input about what areas to stay away from, job potential, housing, schools, etc., would be very helpful. We love living in Mobile but the crime here has gotten very bad and we want somewhere smaller that we can feel safer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,611,561 times
Don't know about the jobs, but the life style can not be beat, if your a midwest person who like to do things but a bit more laid back than big city living. Hot Springs is my adopted home town. We own property there and plan to move back when the time is right. I have a lot of things to do there yet. I want to go to the ghost town up by Harrison, Mt. Pettyjean and camping in the Ouachita lake area. I have been through Mobil and did not like it. Loved Fort Paine but its too you aint from here are you. But Hot Springs is like Fla, so many people from California, Michigan and other places its great.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 PM

389 posts, read 951,210 times
We've lived here for 2.5 years. Pretty much know our way around. Speaking generally, anything south of the 70 bypass would be a good place to look for housing. A lot of real estate north of that is probably not what you would be interested in. Of course the historic area is north but you can go further north and then turn on 7 to the "Village" and also check that out. Some people find that to their liking.

The Lake Hamilton school district is considered superior to the Hot Springs school district. Don't know the particulars but that would be a consideration. I don't find the crime where we live to be anything to be concerned with. But we live more or less in a retirement sub-division and nothing much is going on here and we are very close to the shopping mall and the main drag.

I'm inclined to think that job opportunities should be pretty good as the hospital complex (there are two) is just the other side of the by-pass.

Another plus is that Little Rock is quite close with a short trip to Benton which has good shopping and then into Little Rock proper. It is quite easy to get around. We frequently go up there when we feel the urge but most things are available here. And there is new stuff going up all the time.

Weather seems to be much less severe than in Little Rock. I am speculating that the air coming off of Lake Hamilton might moderate the temperatures. At the worst of the ice storms we never lost power. And the roads weren't bad either.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,611,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
We've lived here for 2.5 years. Pretty much know our way around. Speaking generally, anything south of the 70 bypass would be a good place to look for housing. A lot of real estate north of that is probably not what you would be interested in. Of course the historic area is north but you can go further north and then turn on 7 to the "Village" and also check that out. Some people find that to their liking.

The Lake Hamilton school district is considered superior to the Hot Springs school district. Don't know the particulars but that would be a consideration. I don't find the crime where we live to be anything to be concerned with. But we live more or less in a retirement sub-division and nothing much is going on here and we are very close to the shopping mall and the main drag.

I'm inclined to think that job opportunities should be pretty good as the hospital complex (there are two) is just the other side of the by-pass.

Another plus is that Little Rock is quite close with a short trip to Benton which has good shopping and then into Little Rock proper. It is quite easy to get around. We frequently go up there when we feel the urge but most things are available here. And there is new stuff going up all the time.

Weather seems to be much less severe than in Little Rock. I am speculating that the air coming off of Lake Hamilton might moderate the temperatures. At the worst of the ice storms we never lost power. And the roads weren't bad either.
I lived off of 7 between the 7/5 split before the village. Nice little sub that had lots from 2 to 20 acres. People were very nice and more to my liking then in Florida. Its so pushy here. People crowded and fighting for everything. Things were more laid back there. I liked that a lot. You got a lot of people who were happy to say Hey to you and not really know you. We bought land there and plan to move back in the next 2 to 9 years depending on home prices here and the economy. You are very correct, what HS does not have Benton does. A HDepot, nice cinema and a few other things. We loved to go into LR and hit the Whole foods out off of Rodnehy Pharm and there was a little coffee shop there run by a fellow Michigander. Also loved to hit the Looney Bin there also, and Saturday was great for walking down the Centeral Market area by the Clinton library and having a coffee and going to the book store and maybe having a fish taco one of the best I ever had at the flying fish. We miss the Itinerant Locals in HS and all the other things that made it a great place. Even Max Blade and his cheese magic and even though I am an atheist his singing about Jesus at the end of the show LOL. Great place. Also visit the bottling company of Mt Valley spring water, its just inbetween 7 and 5 going toward HSV. they tour you for free and give you a glass bottle of water.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,152,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
Speaking generally, anything south of the 70 bypass would be a good place to look for housing.
I just found this adorable house in a little neighborhood that is actually north of 70, but right at the base of a little mountain (West Mountain?). It's out toward Piney. Is this a bad neighborhood?

Hot Springs AR Homes For Sale & Hot Springs Real Estate - Zillow

Wow, this house is so cute, so "mid-century modern" looking (the listing actually says it was built in 1970)....needs a little work, but look at all that original wood, with the wood ceilings and floors and that beautiful original tilework in the bathroom! And look at the price! Someone who was into mid-century modern would love this. And the whole neighborhood on google street view looks neat and full of more interesting older homes.

If I'm not allowed to post that link (not sure) and it has to be removed, the house is 213 Meadow St.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 6,487 times
I know the house to which you referred. Yes, it is cute in a mid-century modern way. However, I noticed on one of the realtor sites that this property was listed as "pending". If you are interested in it, you may want to find out if it is still available for viewing. Often realtors will continue to show a property until there is confirmation that the deal will successfully close.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Margy, but I'm not seriously looking right now, just dreaming about "maybes". My husband and I may try to "retire" to the area in a few years, and I want to go ahead and get the lowdown on where to live so I won't waste time looking in the wrong area or buying something I would regret.

Mainly I'm wondering if that neighborhood is a good one. It seems very convenient, yet pretty and woodsy, and I like the way it's at the base of that mountain....sort of "on the edge" of town.

Saxondale and Missourimule, would either of you know of that neighborhood?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,359,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Thanks, Margy, but I'm not seriously looking right now, just dreaming about "maybes". My husband and I may try to "retire" to the area in a few years, and I want to go ahead and get the lowdown on where to live so I won't waste time looking in the wrong area or buying something I would regret.

Mainly I'm wondering if that neighborhood is a good one. It seems very convenient, yet pretty and woodsy, and I like the way it's at the base of that mountain....sort of "on the edge" of town.

Saxondale and Missourimule, would either of you know of that neighborhood?
Luv.....

Do what a lot of us did. Buy at least 10 acres rurally (no rules beside well and septic), build a cabin, get several dogs, a 4 wheels drive, and sit on the porch and greet the neighbors that come by to see who you are.

Stock beer and coffee.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM

Rog....I would love to do that. But I'm too old now....too old and grumpy and tired to deal with drilling a well and putting in septic and building a cabin, etc. I can't afford a 4-wheel drive vehicle (for that matter, I can't afford the 10 acres, well drilling, septic installing, or cabin building either!), and I don't drink beer. LOL (I'm still trying to learn to like coffee.) I do love a chai latte, though....would you have a chai latte if you came to see us?

Seriously....I am older and I do have fibromyalgia, therefore I have limited energy. So, if we ended up in the Hot Springs area, it would probably have to be HSV for me, to ensure that the neighborhood was good and would stay good, and all that drilling, installing, and building was already done. I just was exploring what kind of homes are actually available in Hot Springs and found that cute little house.

Some rural acreage might be doable if we could find a small "pre-fab"-type cabin or home to just move onto it. They sure have some cute ones now! That might actually be a good new thread to start....about pre-fab cabins available in Arkansas.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:06 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,359,915 times
Sure, I'll drink a chai latte with you anytime.

I can stick my pinky finger out with the best of 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or