Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,627 times

Advertisements

We are considering Arkansas or Arizona. Have done lots of research online and have narrowed it down to Mountain Home or Bella Vista in Arkansas
In Arizona down to Maricopa or Florence.
Housing acrually seems to be a little less expensive in Arizona now with the housing,mortgage mess.
We are having a problem finding new construction in the Arkansas areas mentioned under $160,000, but that price range is wide open with options in Arizona.
We have thought about the Az hot, vs the Arkansas humid.
Property taxes are about the same.
We would appreciate any thoughts and input as far as areas, prices, weather etc.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,269 times
In this market, don't buy new construction. Builders don't want to move from their prices but will throw a bunch of stuff in you may or may not want to close the deal. But there are lots of people out there wanting or NEEDING to get out of a home that may only be a few years old and you get a great deal on.

Now personally, as far as AR goes, I think you're looking at the obvious places that seem to cater to people coming in from out of state. Perhaps you've done your homework and truly decided one of these two places would be the one, I don't know. These two locations advertise to prospective relocators so you gotta figure those costs will find a way of getting tacked back onto the cost of living somehow! There are lots of other places in AR with lower housing costs that offer equal amenities. IMO, MH and BV do not have much in the way of cost/amenity relative to the likes of Harrison, Russellville, or a host of other smaller AR towns. Without knowing more about what you're looking for, I don't feel too comfortable making a firm suggestion other than to make sure you've looked at other areas of the state.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
are you retiring or will you still be working? Are you golfers, do you like less conjestion? All these things would make a difference. We have relatives in Phoenix and other areas of Arizona. I am a little surprised to hear you say the real estate is less and taxes the same in both states. We have done some research as well and found taxes lower (property that is) in Ar. Bella vista will give you that small town feeling with everything you could need within a few miles. There is good shopping, hospitals, churches, dining, etc and yet it is small town. Of course you can get this in AZ as well, but many areas like Flagstaff are very pricey while Phoenix and Tuscan are way to hot. I know the humidity is a factor in AR, so it might be a draw.

Probably the best thing to do (we did it anyway) is to take a couple of trips to both areas. Find a realtor and do some investigating in person.

Good luck with your decision.

Nita

Old 12-05-2007, 05:08 PM

902 posts, read 717,689 times
I would never live in AZ. It might be ok once they get all of the illegals out of the state but Arkansas is much prettier and has better weather in my opinion.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM

83 posts, read 476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I would never live in AZ. It might be ok once they get all of the illegals out of the state but Arkansas is much prettier and has better weather in my opinion.

I am sure you'll fit right in in Arkansas, and I speak from almost thirty years of experience.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM

93 posts, read 422,529 times
Hello, I currently live in Phoenix Az and if you are considering moving to AZ there are several things you should consider:
1. Florence and Maricopa are super cheap because they are at least 40-50 miles away from the city, and while I don't know whats its like in AR, in Az thats 40-50 miles of 1 lane each way, supercongested traffic and desert.

2. In Az of the two towns, Maricopa imo, would be a much better choice. Its located right off the I-10 FWY between Phoenix and Tucson and as both cities expand outward Maricopa will eventually be incorporated into the giant metro area and your house will be worth more. Florence is by reso land east of mesa where there is not much building, its fairly isolated.

3. No jobs in either city, although Maricopa would give you more choices to commute to i.e. you could drive north to Phoenix, or south to Tucson. From Maricopa, both cities are about 30-40 min away from the outskirts.

4. Phoenix is hot, dry heat or not, 118 is hot. plus its very windy, smoggy, dusty, not good if you or your family has asthma or allergies.

5. Either city in AZ is a traffic nightmare if you want to get into Phoenix or Tucson.

6. Do you have children? If so then in Az your children will have a (literally) 12x14 back yard of rock and cactus to play in. Be sure to warn them not to touch the scorpions, black widow spiders, rattlesnakes and poisonous gila monster lizards.

7. In fact, while I have never been to AR, I would assume you probaly get a much bigger lot there with a house, all houses in those areas especially are on 2,000-5,000sq ft lots.

8. Most houses in Az are in a HOA which severly limits what you can and cannot do i.e. you cannot leave trash cans out infront of your house, you can't park on the street, you must get permission to change your landscaping or house color ect.

9. Yes, prop taxes are cheap here, but we pay sales tax of 9.1% on everything.

10. Theres no scenery, Its hot, dry, flat, brown and dusty.

I realize that everyone has there own opinions and ideas about what they want in an area, but I think your quality of life would be far better in AR. If you have any more questions or anything you can email me directly on city-data. I hope this was helpful, good luck with whatever you decide

Old 12-07-2007, 03:22 PM

44 posts, read 173,678 times
We relocated to Bella Vista 3 years ago from Wisconsin and absolutely love it. Plenty of new construction is available at good prices. If you love the 4 seasons with not much winter, but great springs and outstanding falls, Bella Vista is the place for you. Moderator cut: nope, not happening

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-07-2007 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,377 times
I have to be honest.....I like the desert!!! Unfortunatily I don't know much about the market there.

Bella Vista I know plenty about!!!

My wife and I have been everywhere after 7 years in a truck!!!!!

After living in Massachusetts and Florida, we felt that this region would give us the topography and distinctive seasons of New England, and the lower cost of living (Similar to what we once enjoyed before the boom in FL) but without the oppressive humidity of the Gulf Coast. I hear people complain of the humidity here, but after 9 years of FL I just don't see it???

Moderator cut: against TOS

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-09-2007 at 04:25 AM..

Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM

609 posts, read 2,117,627 times
All the info is greatly appreciated. Both have their pluses and minuses. Az seems to have lower taxes, but hot is hot, but housing is less expensive.

Arkansas is much greener, housing seems to be a little more expensive, but a little concerned about the humidity since thats what we are trying to escape now in Texas.

We are retired but want the out of town living.

The moderator will cut, so if you have any web sites for housing in the Bella Vista or Mountain Home areas please send a direct message.

Thanks

Old 12-10-2007, 09:47 PM

635 posts, read 1,746,503 times
Go To Arkansas, Arizona's economy is probably going to suffer in about a month. Anti-Illegal Immigraton Law. Unemployment will probably reach 7% or more.

Last edited by JesusisLord; 12-10-2007 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas