Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:23 PM

6 posts, read 15,693 times

Advertisements

So how hard would it be to land a decent paying job in Fort Smith? What companies are good to work for? I am trying to move there to be with my fiancee but its proving to be difficult.. any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,947 times
If I knew more about you maybe I could answer better. Probably not unless you have a degree or some kind of skills or something.

Baldor is supposed to be a good company to work for.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Well I don't have a degree unfortunately, I have extremely stable work history still currently working I live in Utah. Would pursuing a CDL be advantageous for that area? Do you live in Arkans?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Yes I live here.

Probably, there is a trucking company called USA truck in Van Buren and one called JBhunt in Rogers. Just google trucking companies.

You could probably find work at a chicken plant or in retail or something like that. I don't have any idea what you are used to doing though.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM

I have been working at Costco for the past 4 years, Its a great company. The problem with retail down there is the wages looks pretty low.. Before Costco I worked at a Nature's Way in the distribution area up until the company relocated to Wisconsin. It does seem like there is some good manufacturing jobs that probably pay decent but i'm sure to get hired on it would take a miracle or knowing somebody. I see they have Planters to work for and Nestle also ww&l Hyrum Walker all im sure would be decent companies. Which part of Arkansas do you live in?

Old 04-07-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hingerson View Post
I have been working at Costco for the past 4 years, Its a great company. The problem with retail down there is the wages looks pretty low.. Before Costco I worked at a Nature's Way in the distribution area up until the company relocated to Wisconsin. It does seem like there is some good manufacturing jobs that probably pay decent but i'm sure to get hired on it would take a miracle or knowing somebody. I see they have Planters to work for and Nestle also ww&l Hyrum Walker all im sure would be decent companies. Which part of Arkansas do you live in?
I'm in Fort Smith at least once a day.
I worked at Planters for 8 months through a temp agency and it was very hard to get on permanent with them even back before Whirlpool shut down. The people who had been there a long time used to talk crap about the temporary workers, they thought they should be hiring peoples family members instead.
I worked at Hyrum Walker for about a month, its ok if you can get on with them. They give you a free case of liquor for Christmas. It isn't glamorous, everybody I know thats worked there ended up hating it. One guy told me it almost turned him into an alcoholic.

Never worked at Nestle and I don't know what ww&I is.

If your dead set on moving to Fort Smith and working in manufacturing its do-able I guess.

UAFS has a robotics program now, If I were you I'd do something like that, it only takes a year. I took welding at UAFS and I got a job and it was pretty easy but I got tired of it. They keep wanting to hire me back but I don't really want to. They say they only want people with three years of experience now though or I could help you with that.

Or go take the machinist program and go work at Baldor, its supposed to be pretty good.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 04-07-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM

Oh thanks for the input i'm certainly not dead set on working in manufacturing just trying to find something decent . That robotics program or welding could be great ways to go, How long did the welding class take you and what did you start out getting paid if you don't mind my asking? Also what do you do now? Thanks for all your input it is very informative.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 PM

I got a certificate of proficiency in tig welding in 4 months, I had a job before the class ended. However that was a few years back and you may not be able to do that today unless you know somebody. I also took arc welding and automotive classes. The robotics program sounds pretty neat though, its the only one in the state.

The pay wasn't enough.

I am working on a degree at Arkansas Tech University.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Welding is a pretty hot job right now, I think, with all the "pipelining" going on. Of course, I don't think there is any of that going on in Ft. Smith.

I have a friend whose son went to school to learn to weld and she said that if he would do underwater welding he could make a half-million a year. She was saying she told him he should do it for a least a year and save the money.

I could live the whole rest of my life off of $500,000!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Everybody talks about underwater welding, I don't think I've ever actually met anyone who has done it. One of my welding instructors talked about welding on the pipeline in Alaska but he never said anything about underwater welding.

I'd imagine you would have to be an expert diver as well.

Edit: No I take that back I remember there were 2 guys where I worked that were divers, but if they made 500K they must have blown it all.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 04-08-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas