U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 AM

49 posts, read 150,139 times

Advertisements

has anyone else been out too play the new disc golf corse in russellville, in the last few weeks was my first time to ever hear of the game, but it turns out to be pretty fun. so get out and play we have all these parks in russellville but i hardly see anyone useing them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,856,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasguy06 View Post
has anyone else been out too play the new disc golf corse in russellville, in the last few weeks was my first time to ever hear of the game, but it turns out to be pretty fun. so get out and play we have all these parks in russellville but i hardly see anyone useing them
I'm a disc golfer. Fun game, much harder than you'd imagine. And you can dump almost as much money into it as real golf! Once my discs get relocated I'm sure my wife, son and I would come out to russellville to toss a few.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,903,769 times
What is it? I have a not-ready-for-prime-time golf player at my house...an old one at that...so what is it, where is it, and what time can you pick him up????

Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
What is it? I have a not-ready-for-prime-time golf player at my house...an old one at that...so what is it, where is it, and what time can you pick him up????
LOL!!

Disc golf is basically golf with frisbees! PDGA.

Most people who get decently serious about it have a set of golfing discs that are different from normal frisbees. You have driver discs, fairway discs, putting discs, etc. Some discs will tend to pull to the left and some will tend to pull to the right and some will tend to fly straighter.

The "holes" are poles with a basket around the middle with chains that hang from the top of the pole to the basket to catch the disc and drop it into the basket.

It probably won't come as a surpise to learn that Fayetteville has had a couple of disc golf courses for many years and was on the forefront of the sport's development.

Disc golf courses are measured in feet and not yards and are usually more wooded than a ball golf course. After all, sand traps aren't much of a nuisance for a frisbee!! Trees on the other hand, make nasty obstables. The "rough" on a disc golf course is usually VERY rough, i.e. brambles, waist high grass, blackberry bushes... Great places to lose a $10 disc!

It often gets a reputation as a game for granola munching tree huggers but I certainly don't fit that mold.

The course in Russellville is apparently at Pleasant View Park.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 12-11-2007 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Added info

Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,903,769 times
Never heard of it, but an interesting concept...my younger son, who is 27, actually is a pretty good golfer and lived in F'ville for a while - bet he knows about it...wonder if they need disc golf caddies there, lol! He caddied at Alotian for quite a while...hmmm...a new life job for him!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Never heard of it, but an interesting concept...my younger son, who is 27, actually is a pretty good golfer and lived in F'ville for a while - bet he knows about it...wonder if they need disc golf caddies there, lol! He caddied at Alotian for quite a while...hmmm...a new life job for him!
Nope..disc golf bags aren't very heavy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas