U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 18,633 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have visited/vacationed in Mountain View and have fallen in love with the town and the people. We have taken a serious look at a few houses for sale but haven't really had the "perfect place" jump up at us. I have a few questions about Mountain View that I hope some of you can help me with.

* Are there any locations in the surrounding areas to avoid? Maybe due to flooding, poor roads, no rural water, no cable, too many chicken houses, etc. etc.

* What is the best way to find houses for sale? Classifieds in the local papers? Craiglist? Can houses for sale be posted on here?

* Any other candid but honest comments welcomed.

Not to be overly critical but I haven't had much luck going through the local real estate agents. All of them only want to show me houses that THEIR office has listed. I have been told "if you see something out there you like just give me a call and we can go look at it". Sorry but if I am going to do the work, I'd rather not pay a commission. I understand there is no real mutiple listing system being used in that area but please be willing to help a little. I do apologize for being critical but it has gotten really frustrating so far trying to find out this type information and a house to buy.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,911,403 times
Hi, LSU -

We have a cabin in Mountain View that backs up to the White River, actually at Allison/Sylamore, almost across from Jack's Landing. If I could move there today I'd have my boxes packed!

First of all, no advertising is allowed in the general forums. Back on the main page at the bottom you will see a link to Classifieds, but I don't know if there is anything in there. Do a Search This Forum and see what you come up with, or place your own ad for land for sale. I don't think we have any regulars on the board that are from that area.

I am going to assume you are somewhat familiar with that particular area - and incidentally, there are a number of homes for sale by owner through that area. If you go down 9 and turn right at the four way at the bottom of the hill, then cross the bridge, you will come to a cross street right across the bridge. Both directions are neighborhoods. To your right, the land is more likely to flood since the houses are built closer to the river and not as high.

The area to the left has only flooded one time that I am aware of, back in the late 80's, I think, although last year I got a little worried (no need, but it was very rainy and they kept opening the dam). One thing to look for - they are starting to develop that area but the property on the north side has a train track running behind it and they are building almost to the tracks. Unless you are a train fan it could make you nuts. We're acres and acres away from it and can still hear it rumble through.

It's a BEAUTIFUL town, but if you need to work it may not be the place for you. I only know it from a weekenders standpoint. Believe me, if the job was there, we'd be there too. There isn't a lot to do but there is music on the square during good weather and a goodly number of bed and breakfasts in the area. The trout fisherman keep the area going during fishing season. There are only 2 grocery stores to speak of, and one is the super Wally World.

I would call one of the Realtors back and ask them to send you a Homes magazine, which comes out every month for that area. It won't have a lot, but many of the realty companies will have an internet link. You can always try realtor.com, but some of the realty companies are independent and may not have their listings in there. Zip is 72560. Town and Country and Century 21 are both there and list in the MLS. That's all I'm aware of, but there may be others in Stone and Izard counties. I'd also consider Fifty-Six, Melbourne, and some of those other tiny towns.

Land is high by the river but as you move further from town it gets more reasonable..but if you get too far you'll probably lose a bundle running utilities should you decide to build. We have septic and a well at our location but I know city water is available. I'm thinking everyone has septic but I could be wrong. You may end up with dish t.v. - Mtn. View isn't exactly on the cutting edge once you get right outside of town. It isn't on the cutting edge inside of town, either!

I LOVE it there...the people are friendly and you can be as remote as you want to be. Beware - if you get very far out the topography gets dicey and in inclement weather, you are where you are. No graders, no salt trucks, no nothing. If you're on top of a hill, you have a great view that you could enjoy for DAYS while the ice and snow goes away.

I think it's one of the more beautiful areas of Arkansas. There's not much in the way of medical care that is real close, so if you have ongoing needs that could turn into an emergency or chronic care needs, you may want to move back closer to Clinton, Conway, etc.

Good luck in your search. I hope you get to settle there, I'll be VERY jealous!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 18,633 times
Thanks for this info on MV Sam I Am. We have been to Mountain View twice, once for 9 days and the second time for 3 days and I would have to say I agree with you on your accessment of the area. Same here for me on the job thing. If I knew for certain that I could get a decent paying job I would be headed there ASAP. Again thanks for taking time to enter the info and comments
ForLSU

Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 PM

11 posts, read 33,283 times
We just bought 15 acres outside of mountain view on Sylamore creek this fall. I did soo soo much research on the market and can pass on a few of the best links. send me a message .
~Virginia

Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,473 times
Default Moving to Mountain View

I moved to the Mountain View area 7 years ago. I was unhappy with the real estate situation here and I never dreamed of getting my Broker's license at 54, but I did.
I work from my home and I only sell about 9 properties a year. I tell every body the good and the bad. If you have enough money and good health, then come on to Stone County. If you fell in love with the people, guess what, they are transplants like me. We are all looking for something different. Yes, it is really isolated. The locals can get jealous and do evil things. You just have to be careful, humble and pleasant. [mod]no advertising, please see direct message[/mod]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-23-2008 at 03:55 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 PM

80 posts, read 250,228 times
I also have been looking at Mt View. I also have a good friend that owns a place close to the area described by Sam I AM. Over the river, go to where you see some small cabins on the right, turn right at the cabins and climb right up the hill. Great view, love it! Stayed in the area many time. I am a realtor. Finding a house via a realtor in MV? I think unless proven otherwise, I will go to many different realtors. Not all listings are shared. Also, properties can be listed via different realtors but with different prices..No details, but I know. Do not get me wrong. I love MV. Just have to do more legwork. Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-23-2008 at 03:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2008, 11:12 AM

6 posts, read 44,812 times
I have been visiting Mt View for 28 years, and I love it there. My fiance & I have just purchased a place in town. I am looking forward to our many visits for the next year, then we plan to move full time. My sis has lived there for 20 years & still loves it.
I pray noone was killed or injured in the tornado there & will be saying prayers for everyone in Mt View/Mt Home & surrounding areas.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 AM

80 posts, read 250,228 times
Signing the final offer today on a small cabin. Love MV. Fishing and hiking, yes. I heard there was some damage and a lot of power outage in the area.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,028 times
I am desperate to move to MV. Is there any kind of housing for rent in town? Excepting only large apt complex, I will make a home anywhere in MV(though running water would be helpful!). mslane972

Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,911,403 times
I'd go online and check with local realtors that might be property managers. Paper isn't online, Dem Gaz won't have anything - I'd imagine that's the type thing you just drive and look for signs or get it word of mouth or off the grocery store bulletin board. There aren't any large apartment complexes in Mountain View that I'm aware of. I can't even think of any small complexes off the top of my head. You'll probably just have to pull the online yellow pages for realtors and start calling but you may stumble into something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas