U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,839,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
If any of you are hesitating to move to AR because of the tornado's, put that out of your mind. Your much more likely to get injured or killed in your daily drive on the streets and highways than injured or killed by a tornado in AR. Come on, if you try us you will like us.
They make storm shelters every day, and the state subsidizes them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,771 times
thank you for the input on the tornadoes they just scare me. but then we had a couple of them here by stockton, so i guess you can have them any were. and hot springs looks like a very beautiful plce to live, ive been in california my whole life im 40 and I want something new and different.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM

47,276 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantomove View Post
We are considering moving to Hot Springs / Hot Springs Village, is this area safe from tornados?
by the way, Hot Springs and Hot Springs Village, although near one another are very different. One is a tourist town, pretty diverse and almost artsy in some areas, the other is a gated community, much more conservative and a new community (compared to HS) it was developed in the 80s I think. There are 3 such communities in AR, Bella Vista, Cherakee (spelling) Village and Hot Springs Village.

Nita

Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM

726 posts, read 896,475 times
Hot Springs is in a mountainous region. You are safer from a tornado in those types of areas than say the plains in Oklahoma. Hot Springs has not had any tornados that I know of in my lifetime. I think Lake Ouachita had a waterspout once, but those usually stay over the water.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 8,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Nobody in Garland County has ever died due to tornado in recorded history.
Good to know! Funny thing is, we checked into our motel enroute to HSV (likely will sign a contract on a house we're interested in), tornado sirens blaring. This was southwest of Little Rock; we had wanted to get in a little closer, but couldn't due to the storm we were running in.

I agree with you, though--every area has a natural drawback of some sort. I lived the first 25 years of my life in the Midwest, and experienced many warnings but never the real thing. I've spent the next 35 years in the Houston area. Score: 1 tornado, 3 hurricanes. I'll take tornadoes anyday!

Old 04-26-2011, 07:48 AM

197 posts, read 400,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins7 View Post
thank you for the input on the tornadoes they just scare me. but then we had a couple of them here by stockton, so i guess you can have them any were. and hot springs looks like a very beautiful plce to live, ive been in california my whole life im 40 and I want something new and different.
The average Arkansan probably worries about tornadoes on a daily basis much the same way you probably sweat earthquakes (re: not much). However, every once in a great while, there is cause for concern.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 8,941 times
I made a mistake when I said "1 tornado, 3 hurricanes." I forgot a hurricane (Rita), and tropical storm Allison, which didn't have enough wind to be a hurricane, but dumped 27" of rain on Houston in a couple of days. Not to mention countless other tropical storms, which by definition have sustained winds from 39 mph to 73 mph. Incidently, all of these storms have caused damage to us, even though we've lived well away from the coast.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,344,488 times
There were a few people who died in HSV in the last two weeks.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 PM

226 posts, read 534,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
There were a few people who died in HSV in the last two weeks.
Yes several people have died in HSV in the last two weeks... from old age and illness. There were no serious injuries and no deaths from the tornado.

Most damage was from falling trees, no homes were "destroyed" by the tornado.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 AM

47,276 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtkins View Post
Yes several people have died in HSV in the last two weeks... from old age and illness. There were no serious injuries and no deaths from the tornado.

Most damage was from falling trees, no homes were "destroyed" by the tornado.
thanks for setting that straight. I didn't remember reading anything about deaths in HSV but didn't want to say anything cause I wasn't sure.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas