U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He has a folksy, down-to-earth manner that charms a lot of people. While he was in office he lived in a "manufactured home" for a time while the Governor's Mansion was being worked on. The state's educational system received a great deal of attention, due to the State Supreme Court's rulings about the funding of the system and numerous lawsuits. He pushed very hard on educating people about obesity and improving the offerings of school cafeterias, as well as adding BMI index rating to report cards. There was even some rhetoric about letting your child be obese was akin to abusing that child. My taxes definitely increased while he was in office. There weren't any major embarrassments I can remember while he was in office. I much prefer our current governor, though. Overall, I'd give Huckabee a B-/C+. I wouldn't vote for him as President however. I think he'd try to do a good job, but his knowledge of foreign affairs is far too sparse and his tendency to frame his policies and actions as morality issues reminds me of our current President. I want a President to have a strong character and a solid moral compass, but I also want a President that can separate himself from his faith, recognizing that his faith is only one of the many that Americans follow.

DC
I realize this isn't a political forum, but it is still very interesting to hear what others have to say; I agree about the separation of religious faith and yet someone with high morals: I don't know who that might be this go around. Like many we are still trying to figure this one out.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:10 PM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I remember from living in Arkansas that Huckabee was childish. I also remember that he loved to raise taxes. (IIRC, there's now a $5+ per day tax on nursing home beds; there's also a tax of three percent on your state income tax -- It's insane! Whoever heard of a tax on a tax?) I also remember that he tried to steal furniture from the governor's mansion when he left and was forced to return it. I also remember that he set up a fake marriage registry for himself and his wife in order to get gifts -- despite the fact that he and his wife had been married for three decades. I also remember that he set up a fake organization out-of-state in order for others to funnel money to him.

Other than that stuff, he was ok.

Oh, and btw, despite media reports, he was not all that popular as governor. He came close to losing his office to a no-name little old lady (who had virtually no campaign cash) when he ran for a second term.
Stealing things from the mansion, now that rings a bell, only it was the white House? Did Huck take lessons from another Arkansas politician?

Nita

Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 PM

87 posts, read 75,338 times
Clinton or Huckabee?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM

9,601 posts, read 23,070,143 times
I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me here, but I see a lot of similarities between Clinton and Huckabee. Not so much on political views, but on style. They are both very likable, down to earth, folksy, and smart.
And their being from Arkansas has a lot to do with it.
Arkansans tend to have a unique charm, and a certain amount of eccentricity, which both Clinton and Huckabee try to mask.
I'm a proud eccentric myself, but I can see that it probably doesn't help one get elected.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:39 PM

83 posts, read 428,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
How good of a job did he do?

Much better than I expected.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 PM

296 posts, read 1,133,734 times
Default One good thing is.....

He did good things for Arkansas education. At least Arkansas is not the next to the last now in education reform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas