Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM

155 posts, read 662,182 times

Advertisements

I always like when people bost Charlestons low crime rate... is there something else to be expected from a tiny town isolated from everyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 14,302 times
I have lived in Booneville since 92', and my family on both sides are from that area. Everybody has different taste and desires in a place to live, but I like it a lot. Nice and quite.....low-key. Close enough to plenty of nice spots you can always stay distracted. Taxes are very low......we have an excellent Mayor right now. Lot'sa real good folks, and a few no-good-for-nothings, like anywhere. More than it's fair share of lay about's welfare mommas, and disability rip-off artist though. Has a small Wal-mart, but there are plans in the works to build a small Supercenter there. Just a regular small Arkansas twon......not sophisticated, not a 'hot-spot'.....but very nice. We love our HS football and have the regular parades and such. There is a small McDonalds and an Auto-zone and a Napa store. Fort Smith is about a 45 minute drive, according to where you are going there. Many good churchs here. Many nice rural poperties available. Just be very careful and buy a place that has a small chance of a dang chicken farm being put in near you. That is one drawback to Arkansas......it has no agricutural odor laws and your dreamhouse that you have worked towards all your life can suddenly become unlivable if some clod puts in ANOTHER dang chicken farm next door. Not to mention lowering it's value by about 1/3 overnight. So, buy in the hills is all I can say. Or next to a National Forest boundry. Plenty of places like that.

We have a brand new hospital and middle school.

To answer each one of your questions:

#1. People are nice......I have found no real problems. Of course, like anywhere, there are a few sourpusses and malcontents.

#2. Quality of the schools is pretty doggone good for such a small town in Arkansas. Not the best, but very far from the worse. Taxpayers are willing to support big projects. We just put in a new 12 million dollar middle school. But, the quality of teaching, like I say, is pretty doggone good considering.

#3. Attitudes? About what exactly? Just a bunch of normal hard-working small town white folk by-in-large. Lots of Conservatives, Christains, Patriots, gun-lovers, nature lovers, hunters, fishermen......a GOOD thing in my book, but maybe not someone elses.

#4. Acceptance is very high........unless maybe you are a loud-mouthed Yankee that wants to come in and tell us how screwed up we are and run for City Council after living here 6 lousy months. Ya know......other than that, we have very open arms. Folks moving here is GREAT.

#5. Cell phone reception is excellent generally speaking, except when you WAY back in the hills and hollers.

#6. You can get dail-up, or a selection of hi-speed connections. I think the DSL is the prefferred choice around here. I am no longer a cable subscriber, so I don't know what they offer. The company is 'Suddenlink'. Maybe they can help you regarding the services they offer in Booneville.

Myself, I love guns and shooting. Guns are very popular here. Shooting is very popular. You have hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands you can have a great time on. I do a lot of boating. The Arkansas River, which is great, is about 30 miles away. It is damned and locked, so it really is a series of long lakes. Lake Ouachita, one of the nicest clear-water lakes on the entire planet, is about 90 miles away, according to where you go on it. We have a small lake called Blue Mountain close by.....it is OK, but it is a bit smallish and the water is not clear. Good camping and fishing there. The water sports there is so-so.

Holler if I can be of further help. Best wishes and good luck!

Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,849 times
I live in Booneville. I am from yosemite national park in California. I have lived here 15 years now and I love it. I have high speed interned and my cell phone works great. the schools are good for the most part. I am happy living here.I am glad to be raising my children here rather than California. The small town is nice and so are the people who live here

Old 07-09-2010, 01:57 AM

111 posts, read 390,925 times
These seems like an old thread but I'll throw my two cents in. I visit Ozark on holidays because my sister lives there. It seems like a nice place. I really do like their Mexican restaurant in the old Hardee's. They do have the world's ugliest courthouse. I noticed their high school mascot has discovered steroids (seroiusly, look him up).

I rode out on a delivery with my sister to the Mulberry area just west of there this last visit, really pretty countryisde. The natl forest to the north of there has lots to do.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:18 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
I really do like their Mexican restaurant in the old Hardee's. .
I noticed that Mexican restaurant last time I was in Ozark, and wondered if it was any good.

Ugliest courthouse? I haven't noticed that.

Next time any of you are in Ozark, go in the Riverview Antique Mall (down by the river) and BUY SOMETHING! LOL (mom has a booth in there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas