U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 16,092 times

Advertisements

My husband is retired and not adverse to moving from Central Illinois. Lately, everyone we know is talking about Hot Springs Village. We dislike Florida. Arizona, Texas don't appeal to us. He is an avid golfer. I'm into gardening and photography. I am also a Vascular Technologist-Registered Nurse for the past 22 years, for the past 12 years privately employed by a group of vascular surgeons. Is there a job opportunity for me there? We would prefer to visit someplace for him to golf this winter. Hot Springs sounds delightful and is only a 10 hour drive. When would be a good time to start scouting out Hot Springs Village? Can he golf there year round? Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 23,566 times
Default hot springs village is overpriced....

hello to peoria fron someone who used to live in bloomington years ago.

please do not take this the wrong way, but i believe there are an awful lot of average lots in hot springs village being sold at what i believe to be an above average price. i'm also going out on a limb here and suggesting you probably are hearing about hsv via an infomercial or friends who have seen an infomercial.

it is a nice area for a quiet retirement, yes, but do not overpay, especially when you find out what that same lot sold for not too long ago.

i would suggest a little due diligence, and contact three different realtors in the area not associated with the company you are looking to buy a lot from. Pick their brains and you may find a better lot through one of them for much less money.

However, some local people from hsv who have been there awhile will tell you more specifics, i'm sure. i'm also sure that many will agree with me.

have fun exploring northern arkansas, it is fantastic!

jeff

Old 10-30-2006, 05:21 PM

2 posts, read 16,092 times
Jeff,
Thank you so much for the information. I think we would like to vacation at HSV several times prior doing something more permanent.
Do you have any recommendations for hotels for a week's stay?
Thanks!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 43,540 times
I live 20 minutes down mountain from Hot Springs National Park
HSV is another 20 miles up senic hwy 7
Any time of the year it is beautiful
Christmas time it is like a winter wonderland
If you really desire to get the true feel of Hot Springs area the Arlington Hotel,is great
Lot's of good eating places
Oaklawn racing season start's in Jan...the town of Hot Springs is very congested at anytime but especially during the racing meet.
Go on line to the Daily Sentinel news paper classified to check on homes for sale, it is not as pricey as some other places with the same golfing beautiful homes and surroundings IMO..

Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 23,566 times
Default the arlington is fantastic

That was a good idea as the Arlington truly is a beautiful place to stay.

However, if you are actually planning to live in Hot Springs Village, then I would make it a point to actually stay in the Village for a week and not at a posh resort miles away from where you are thinking of moving to. Find a vacation rental that is someone's actually house or condo inside HSV that is rented out for nightly rentals. That would give you a true feel for the area, plus you would actually be staying in the village, and not where the Arlington is located, which at least 15 miles to the south. You can go online and find nightly rentals easily in HSV.

Hot Springs Village is not Hot Springs, just remember that.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 29,907 times
Smile Hot Springs Village

HI, We've lived in the Village for over five years. We have NINE golf courses and they are gorgeous and many BLUE lakes, one has a little inlet where you can swim with mountains as a backdrop. HSV has dozens of activities and
many plays at our Woodlands Auditorium. The fishing here is not good.
We have a very active bridge club that plays in the auditorium. the scenery is
very pretty; all the trees are yellow or red now. Can you play golf year round?
No; this is not florida. No One plays in January!! It snows about once or twice a year and people just stay inside for 2 days. We have lots of doctors and dentists here (I've never found a dentist I can't live without but the eye doctors are good). 'The newest restaurants very near the village entrance are quite good; nothing fancy. Very cheap taxes except on vehicles.
We have several homes for sale for half a million dollars; you must pay around that to live on lake balboa. WE have a new bank and realtor just down the street from our house and everyone has high spped internet but us since we
are so remote; remote enough to have deer in our driveway.
We have a lot of people who have moved here from minnesota, nebraska,
cold places but arkansans live here also. I highly recommend the village.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:34 AM

266 posts, read 830,911 times
Default when to visit? the sooner the better....

<<Is there a job opportunity for me there?>>
Hot Springs Village is a community of (mostly) retirees.... we need you!

<<We would prefer to visit someplace for him to golf this winter. Hot Springs sounds delightful and is only a 10 hour drive. When would be a good time to start scouting out Hot Springs Village?>>
The sooner the better!

<<Can he golf there year round?>> The courses are scheduled to be open year round. We do get the occasional snow or ice that will keep the courses closed for a few days, and there are a few days each year that the courses don't open due to the temperature. This is most likely in late January.

I agree with JeffPoole on staying in HSV instead of Hot Springs. You can find plenty of daily rentals through property management companies. The HSV Chamber of Commerce member list for rentals is http://www.hotspringsvillagechamber....sp?cat=Rentals

If your husband plays as a "guest" it could get quite expensive. "Privilege Leases" are available that allow you and your husband to get the same rates as property owners, a try-it-before-you-buy it. Moderator: Please contact Jeff via direct message for information on leases, etc.[/mod]
Jeff

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-28-2007 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: could be construed as advertising

Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 AM

365 posts, read 891,226 times
Default HSV is the place for me

I am from South Arkansas originally and currently live in Nebraska. My current property taxes on a $260,000 home are $6800 per year. That same home in the Village would probably be less than $2000 per year. I have owned a lot in the Village for 11 years now and plan on retiring there in 4 years. I make a trip down there once a year for a week (usually in May or October) and do nothing but play golf twice a day. For property owners, the golf is around $20 a round with a cart, non property owners will pay around $60, depending on the course. There are also yearly packages you can buy for golf and cart. I have to agree that you should stay in the Village while you are there, plus you will have to get with a realtor to get a pass to enter the village as it is gated. Go to Village Pro Realty or Village Villas web sites and you can rent a furnished condo or house from them or other realtors in the Village, prices are reasonable. I would not recommend going between 2/15 and 4/15 of any year due to it being horse racing season at Oaklawn and vacancies are hard to find anywhere in the Hot Springs area. No place is perfect but the Village has everything I am looking for. I love to golf and fish and there are plenty of courses and lakes, plus 15 miles from the west gate is Lake Ouachita, a huge, deep, very clean lake with no homes on it for your boating and fishing pleasure. Check out this website, www.hsvpoa.org, take a trip down there. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 AM

2 posts, read 9,535 times
Default Hot Springs Village

I lived in HSV for almost 11 years & then moved to FL. My Mom & Dad retired there over 30 yrs. ago & my Mom stayed after my Dad died. The local joke is that HSV is for the newly-wed or the nearly-dead! There are great activities for the active retired, but no public transportation for those unable to drive & just about anywhere you want to go is a bit of a drive. The area is beautiful and housing is still affordable, but there are plenty of hidden fees & taxes - AR has an income tax & you will pay an annoying personal property tax on most of the stuff you already own. Nurses are in great demand, but you will most likely have to drive into town (12-18 miles ea way) to get a decent job & the wages are low, low, low. You definitely want to stay in the Village to check it out. The developer will "treat" you to a free 3-day stay if you are willing to sit through a seemingly endless sales pitch for a new lot. One of the other posters was right - watch out for lot sales. There are beautiful ones for mega-bucks and "goat lots" you can't build on unless you want to sink 40ft pilings into the mountainside. You are better off to look at existing real estate. I don't agree with the comments re weather. I got iced-in more times than I have encountered hurricane weather here! Just a thin coating of black ice will keep you home bound for days. In return, you will enjoy a beautiful spring & a spectacular fall. Best of luck in your search for the perfect place to live!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 AM

266 posts, read 830,911 times
(1) AR personal property taxes are only on vehicles, not on "most of the stuff you own", the total cost is minor.

(2) There are very few homes with 40ft pilings, and those are from the ground up to the house (not buried 40ft deep). They are used on some of the pricier homes to maximize the view.

(3) There are hundreds if not thousands of flat lots under $10,000 - not exactly "mega bucks". All homesites have water, sewage, and underground utilities.

(4) Wages for professionals are not "low low low". You can't make $20/hour flipping burgers, but professionals still make good money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or