Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 1,607 times

Advertisements

I have just discovered that the county does not have my property assessed correctly. They list the 2 acres I own, but not my house. The land was purchased in 2001 and I bought an old house that was cut in 1/2 and moved 19 miles to the property, put back together and restored. This is the first house/property I have owned and, having never seen a property tax statement before, I didn't realize it was incorrect until I started thinking about selling and looked up the records online. (Though I did think the taxes were low, but I live in a very rural area and the house is old.) If I contact the assessor, will I be liable for back taxes or would it be considered their mistake? Isn't it the county's responsibility to assess property regularly? I have been living there, and paying property taxes, since 2003. I'm pretty sure there was a county-wide assessment right around the time the house was moved in (though it was still in 2 pieces). To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how the assessment process works and need a heads up before I contact the assessor. They also have my mailing address listed incorrectly, though my statements have the correct address. Can anyone offer any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,319,466 times
You may be liable for back property tax but at this point I would just let it ride.

If you are selling your house, obviously disclose everything to the new Buyer and when the sale price is recorded the assessor will start charging property tax based on the sales price.

Did you need any permits to move the house or connect utilities?

Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 AM

I was only able to find one house mover in the area who said he could do the job and he did it on a Sunday morning with no permit. I'm pretty sure he should have gotten one, but he was a sort of by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of guy and probably wouldn't have bothered even if necessary. Luckily, he didn't get caught. Actually, the county judge at the time was a good friend of my dad's and even had the county road crew do a little work on the gravel road (it's a county road) to my property in order to make the move easier. The electric coop connected the electricity, but I don't remember if a permit was necessary. It's a very rural area and you can pretty much do whatever you want on your property without any interference. The only things that had to be inspected were the septic system and the final electric wiring.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Would the sale of the house alert the assessor to the problem and lead to me still owing the back taxes?

Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 AM

141 posts, read 170,529 times
It might not make much difference to add the house, so the assessor might let it slide depending on her/her mood for the day. I wouldn't peep a word to anyone without consulting an attorney first. Nobody can predict the whims of a tax assessor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas