U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM

350 posts, read 1,125,792 times

Advertisements

The distance is much further from Conway than it seems, largely because of the mountains and hills between them. I don't think of it as commuting distance from Conway.

The hospital and schools are supposed to be quite good for a town that size. I know some professionals that live there that moved from more urban areas and love it. The mountains are beautiful, that is one of the most picturesque parts of the Ozarks.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,860,723 times
I work with some people who live pert near Clinton and they commute to Maumelle daily. Insane I know...

Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,744 times
I moved to Clinton (about a 45 min drive from Conway) around 2001 from Little Rock, and I must say it was a significant change. I actually lived in Dennard, which is 10 miles or so North of Clinton on HWY 65, and entered into a land installment contract to purchase app. 50 acres. At the time, the going rate was about a grand an acre, and we set to work clearing it and homesteading. I opened a small business in downtown Clinton with the help of a renovation grant, but my business was poorly suited to the general sensibilities of the primarily poor community. Much of the 65B downtown area was underwater in 1982, and many of the buildings still have a faint musty tinge to them. I moved in with long hair, tattoos and Dungeons & Dragons books, and found that I almost immediately had three strikes against me. I spent three years struggling in the downtown district, and finally opted to move and relocate my business to Sherwood, which is a nice suburb of North Little Rock. I kept the land up there, however, "just in case". Clinton's primary revenue and employment generators are a poultry processing facility, a boat factory, a Wal-Mart supercenter, and a Virco plant. There are many reasons to be able to happy in the town, but most of those would seem to revolve around being an age close to or at retirement. With more churches than fast food restaurants available, the phrase "buckle of the bible belt" comes to mind. It is a beautiful area, as it relates to scenery, but employment opportunities are scarce, at least for anything above factory or construction-type work. The downtown sector warrants a visit, as quaint is an applicable descriptor, but neighboring Leslie and even Harrison have more of a stereotypical small-town ambiance. The yearly Chuckwagon Races are a HUGE deal there, and bring in countless horses, riders, money, and visitors, but many local mom and pops benefit very little from the influx. The Wal-Mart supercenter, however, banks quite a bit over the weekend. If you are a nature lover with a penchant for stocking up rather than frequent in-town trips, it may be for you, but I'm glad to be back in the city. The Fayettevile Shale exploration has indeed helped boost the economy in surrounding areas, but the recent tornado damage to the town has forever changed the landscape and will be years in the repair. Great little Mexican restaurant there, though!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,490 times
We moved from Dallas, Tx to Clinton, AR three years ago and have never regretted it.

About 35 miles to Conway, takes us 45 minutes to get there. There is a Super Walmart in Clinton and other establishments where you can generally find what you need. The antique shops are lots of fun to go to.

Beautiful views and there is a significant difference in the air you breathe in a rural area versus a large city. There are jobs available, but not as many as a city like Conway.

We find the people friendly and the churches become family. One of my sons calls Clinton "Mayberry RFD". But, to us that is kind of nice.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,287 times
Default Happiness will be Clinton in the rearview mirror

Came here in 2004, can't wait to leave. A small group of the "old families" basically owns the town and its governance. If you are related, you can do no wrong, and that includes the numerous meth manufacturers.

The local law enforcement all think they are SWAT, and dress accordingly, though most of them are significantly overweight, LOL. The town is sinking into oblivion, crumbling as I watch. Depressing, really. Except for WalMart, there is nothing here.

The Super Tuesday Tornado took out the boat factory, the chicken plant closed (probably to prevent an ICE raid), and the plastic plant is gone. The only ads for employment are nursing homes and the hospital.

The Fayetteville shale is a joke. Yeah, tons of companies came in and bought up property, driving real estate values out of reach of the normal people here. But jobs? No. They brought employees with them, and have offered very few jobs to locals.

The climate is nice, and the country scenic, but the people are set in their ways and despise any hint of change. For the most part they are racist, homophobic, and extremely right-wing. And Uber-religious.

What a lot of posts here don't tell you is that most of Arkansas is DRY. You have to drive miles to buy a bottle of wine or a carton of beer. There are sufficient religious fundies to keep it that way. Lot of people here say we need "fine dining", but no restaurant entrepreneur will ever make profits without alcohol, and therefore will not open up here.

I don't want to live in a city, but I do want to live in a "bluer" location. I just hope to find something affordable. Why is it that all the reasonably priced real estate is where the fundies are?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,584 times
Default new too CLINTON WAL-MART

Does any one know of rental house in or near the CLINTON WALL-MART need too be 2 bed rooms and pet friendly !my small friend wicket is verry clean house broken dog !So far i have seen a few houses that are beyond living at a verry high rental rate I am living with my sister in MT-VEIW and am desperatly looking for my own place HELP !! working all night 10pm - 7 am the drive is too much

THANKS for any leads BARBRA
E MAIL : [email]alland1956@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 05-24-2010, 10:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,287 times
Default Good luck!

Wish we could find something affordable elsewhere, but right now it is looking like we are stuck here.

Since all the immigration for the gas business, it is VERY hard to find a rental here. There are some small inexpensive parcels for sale, some with owner financing, and you might check with realtors and see. Wendy Russ at Spot Real Estate is really good - she helped us out.

One option is to find an owner financed parcel, and have a rent-to-own garage put on it, and finish it out. Bald Eagle Barns makes really nice ones, and we considered doing that ourselves.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas