Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 PM

219 posts, read 808,236 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I will be moving soon and Hot Springs was on my list. I then did some research on the crime and found it amazingly high for such a small town! I spent 3 days, stayed in a hotel in the main tourist area and found it a beautiful place but the crime rate. I don't know. It also seems like the people are not very out-going. I am very out-going and tried to start up conversations at all places I was out but sort of recieved the "cold shoulder"
Can anyone that live in the area tell me more about the crime and anything else that I would need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 AM

288 posts, read 1,072,517 times
Here are the numbers for the "Total Crime Index" for Hot Springs and a few nearby areas.

26% - 71909 Hot Springs Village
54% - 72015 Benton
218% - 71901 Hot Springs
188% - Little Rock (Cantrell / I-430 area)
99% - Arkansas

This means that the 71901 zip code area of Hot Springs has 218% of the national average for "total crime".

Old 12-29-2007, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 37,461 times
Yes the area is beautiful when you are on the outside looking in but there is something odd and insidious about the whole area.There are a lot of crimes that do not even make it to the media and a lot of people think that since this is a tourist town that it is that way on purpose because the powers that be do not want to hurt the tourist trade and stop the flow of money here.
When we moved here in 1999 we noticed the stand-offishness
and when I was talking to a old timer down here he told me that even our
great- grandchildren would be considered outsiders if born here. There are a lot of old families in the area and little cliques who just do not care for or want to associate with outsiders. Oh it is one thing to come here as a tourist spending money at hotels ,restaurants, stores ..etc...but if you go to resident status everyones treatment of you changes.As far as the crime goes there is plenty of it. You can get the Sentinel Record online and check out the statistics section. There are lots of B&E's, Bad checks,Drug cases, and the court system is very busy as are the courts everywhere else in the country. Drugs? yes there is a abundancy of drugs here It seems Meth and crack are in a close race for 1st position followed by pills of any kind.It also seems that almost everyone knows how to cook meth, knows someone who cooks or has cooked meth, or has friends or family in the pen for cooking meth, it is a whole sub-culture here. And regardless what other posters may say there are areas of town I would not want to break down in and have to walk out of after dark. Lately there have been a lot of random beatings and robberies by people walking up to others in broad daylight ( 1 was right across the street from the police station) and the suspects were not caught. There are lots of thefts that go unsolved also, I have personally lost 3 thousand dollars in rims and tires while out of town (the thieves jacked up my truck and actually were considerate enough to put on some wore out rims and tires on in their place) a complete running 1978 three quarter ton GMC pickup truck and a bass boat. My garage has been broken into numerous times and tools and equipment stolen. Each time I filed a report .( I had serial numbers and titles in hand) and one CID officer in the sherriffs dept even told me that any chance of recovery was slim to none and that the truck had probably been stripped and what was left of it was probably sitting at the bottom of one of the numerous lakes in the area. Some help he was. If you move to the area just be careful who you befriend, who you let into your life and house.Don't get me wrong there are some wonderful people in the area but as the saying goes" you gotta go through a whole lot of chaff to get to the wheat."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas