U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 801 times

Advertisements

Retirement Ready, we're kind of in the same predicament as you about moving furniture or buying new. In December of this year we spent a week in HSV and bought a beautiful home. We'll be moving out there in March after my wife wraps up her career at the University of Oregon. While in Arkansas in December we went to a few furniture stores along the Benton-Bryant corridor on I-30, and actually put a bedroom set on layaway at Ashley's furniture store. There are smaller furniture stores in Hot Springs town, but they didn't have the selection we found off of I-30. We don't have a lot of furniture to move (from Oregon), but considering the price of buying new, we realized that driving a UHaul truck with our things might run about $2000 with gas, while replacing those items would easily cost $10-15,000, even if we made a few hundred dollars selling them. Still, we want to get a few new things (the bedroom set, as well as some nice living room furniture and laundry appliances), just to have some new along with the familiar pieces we've lived with for a number of years. New furniture is expensive even if you try to look for bargains. We might also buy a few things at estate sales, which our HSV contacts say are pretty common in that area. Our sellers sold us some of their furniture that we were interested in, and that helped a little. We'll have a mix of old (but serviceable) and new for the new house. And new life in HSV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 03:50 PM

265 posts, read 271,521 times
There are indeed a lot of estate sales in the village. And they are well attended!

Old 07-01-2015, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 12,443 times
Default Moving............

We purchased a home in Hot Springs Village and will be moving soon! Thank you all for taking the time to respond. We made another visit to the Village and we still love everything about it. We settled on a home near the west side, and we're counting down the days!

Last year we subscribed to the newspaper and have been reading it consistently. There's been so much grumbling and bitterness over one thing or another, that we were unsure if we wanted to make this move or not. But, we gave it another try, another visit. I'm so glad we did. We met so many wonderful people during our visit and not one person had a complaint or expressed any regret over their decision to move to the Village. We love the location of our home, and meeting so many people in the Village that were so welcoming really helped us make the decision. There's enough shopping and restaurants to meet our needs, and if not, there is always Amazon.

Thanks again. I really appreciate this forum!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,179,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementReady View Post
We purchased a home in Hot Springs Village and will be moving soon! Thank you all for taking the time to respond. We made another visit to the Village and we still love everything about it. We settled on a home near the west side, and we're counting down the days!

Last year we subscribed to the newspaper and have been reading it consistently. There's been so much grumbling and bitterness over one thing or another, that we were unsure if we wanted to make this move or not. But, we gave it another try, another visit. I'm so glad we did. We met so many wonderful people during our visit and not one person had a complaint or expressed any regret over their decision to move to the Village. We love the location of our home, and meeting so many people in the Village that were so welcoming really helped us make the decision. There's enough shopping and restaurants to meet our needs, and if not, there is always Amazon.

Thanks again. I really appreciate this forum!
Yesterday I met a couple in a doctors office and we had a conversation while waiting for our call. It turns out that they live in HSV and I live in a retirement community in another city, so we compared experiences. We came to the conclusion that each community has a few "old sore heads" who complain about everything but 99.9% of the residents are wonderful, friendly, helpful people.

If you came from another state, welcome to The Natural State. As you can, get out and explore because we have so much to offer, all over the state. Happy to have you

Old 07-02-2015, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,443 times
Exactly! And the internet empowers those "old sore heads". They can complain all they want while sitting at home behind their computer. They may not be so critical if we were meeting face to face.

Thanks for the welcome! We've got a lot of exploring to do and we're looking forward to our new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas