U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 PM

9 posts, read 32,227 times

Advertisements

Todays Sentinel Record front page states in 2007 there were 11 homicides in Hot Springs with only 3 being unsolved so far, Such a big number for such a small area. In 2005 US Department of justice Stastistics page only has 186 murders in the whole state.

Last edited by charlescamden; 12-30-2007 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,918,988 times
Lol....charlescamden, I really think you need to move! Hot Springs just doesn't seem to suit your liking!

I think it's really important when quoting stats, especially violent crime, to remember that much of this is "known" crime - the perpetrator and the victim know each other. Not that it makes it any more right or acceptable, but this isn't random horrible shoot outs of innocents in a robbery or drive by, but people who have personal vendettas and agendas. It does not make the loss of life any less tragic, and all crime violent or otherwise should be prosecuted - but still, the lifestyle of some victims of crime almost predicts their demise, or at least give a propensity toward an untimely end.

The problems underlying violent crime go much deeper than a set of stats and reach every area of the state and the nation, and we could go off into a debate about the degeneration of society as a whole (except that's not what the state forums are for). I really don't think Hot Springs is any different - I guess I find it more startling that 25% of the homicides are unsolved. However, those could be recent incidents still under investigation, I'm not sure of the circumstances.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:49 AM

9 posts, read 32,227 times
Yes we are planning a move soon, Right now though it is just not feasible economically for us, both the wife and I have decent jobs for the area and that is on the positive side, Another problem is we own property (inherited from mother -in-law) in the area thet we can't unload for it's true value and it is actually cheaper to keep it and live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or