Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 01:57 PM

93 posts, read 200,043 times

Advertisements

My wife & I will be traveling to Tucson from NJ at the end of December this year. We will be coming across Rt. 40 and I would appreciate your feedback as to what kind of weather to expect at that time of year. Is snow a big issue or is the interstate pretty well maintained? Also how is the traffic around Little Rock? Any issues there or elsewhere? Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 02:38 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,638 times
Of course it depends on the time of day you come through L.R. (actually North Little Rock, not that it makes any difference ). Just pay attention to the signs. There has been quite a bit of construction between L.R. and Memphis, but that will change before you get here. Still be some construction but probably in a different section. December weather in AR is kinda like the flip of a coin, never know what will happen. Shirtsleeve one day and cold a few days later. Last winter the highway department got short on keeping 40 clear and got jumped on pretty severely, so they will probably pay more attention this year. We usually have more ice than snow, but again, that is a coin flip.

Enjoy your trip, and be safe.

P.S. I wish I could hitch a ride with you to Tucson. Just kidding, but I have spent lots of time in Tucson and the Sonora, especially the Sonora. I love that part of the world; almost as much as Arkansas.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 10-30-2014 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 10-31-2014, 06:54 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
Snow is a big issue on 40, it usually gets shut down each year somewhere....maybe not in AR, but you need to be concerned about traveling I-40 in December...you could run into nasty weather all the way across. If Tucson is your destination anyway, why not travel down 95 to 20, and then down to 10 at New Orleans and across to Tucson ? I've still seen snow and ice in Dallas in Dec...so why not take the southern route ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-31-2014, 10:02 AM

Thanks Fossil & Gemstone. In reply, we're going to be visiting Nashville & Memphis so we could go south on 55 to 20 but I'd rather not go any further south. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,901,638 times
Gemstone has a good point. Since you will be in Memphis, I have this suggestion for a route; the one I have used for many years. From West I-40, take West I-30 at North Little Rock to Ft Worth where it will run into West I-20. Take 20 to out into the middle of nowhere Texas where it will hit West I-10 which will take you right into Tucson. Good luck. Be safe.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
If you do take 20 across Texas, do not plan on stopping for the night in Midland, Odessa, or even Pecos....the hotels and motels there are really taking advantage of oil field worker salaries and have jacked up rates double if not more.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-02-2014, 08:34 PM

996 posts, read 1,234,876 times
I-40 is one of the major east-west freeways so there is always heavy truck traffic.

Always keep one eye on your rearview mirror especially if you have to slow down due to construction, traffic jam , etc. also I try never to drive next to / linger near trucks.
It is also wise to travel with an "emergency kit" in case you get stranded due to weather or breakdown ... water, warm clothing / sleeping bag, some food (beef jerky), etc.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
I-40 is one of the major east-west freeways so there is always heavy truck traffic.

Always keep one eye on your rearview mirror especially if you have to slow down due to construction, traffic jam , etc. also I try never to drive next to / linger near trucks.
It is also wise to travel with an "emergency kit" in case you get stranded due to weather or breakdown ... water, warm clothing / sleeping bag, some food (beef jerky), etc.
this is good advise; 40 is used by the truckers all the way across the country. I would say to the OP, as for weather, yes, go prepared but until late Dec it is not common to see much bad weather across 40. Yes, we all remember last year and a few others, but not common. When we lived in ABQ we traveled to Dallas every year for Christmas, only one year did we have bad road conditions. We have been here 7 winters now, one horrible year (last year) and one pretty crappy road conditions about 5 years ago, at Christmas. Never much before that. Now if the weather is really concerning you, the 20 route would be a better bet. Why not just wait til you get closer and then decide. Maybe even wait til you get to Nashville or Memphis. I will add, hwy is the ugliest drive and the most boring in the world I think.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Thank you all for your great comments and suggestions. We certainly will follow them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas