U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 AM

66 posts, read 129,420 times

Advertisements

Its amazing that after reading some of these threads that anyone would want to move to Arkansas in the first place. Even though there seems to be many who are concerned about the "illegals" and high crime, there have got to be some good reasons to move to the Hot Springs area.

My parents used to live in HSV and we were impressed with the low taxes and how reasonable prices are in the area. What we weren't impressed with was the quality of education and the lack of good shopping near the village.

Has or is this starting to change - living in the Chicagoland area, I never saw HSV as being very elitist. Is it perceived that way by the locals? What do you see the future of this area being in the next 10-20 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 12:27 PM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times
The best thing about HSV is that it ISNT Little Rock!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 PM

266 posts, read 830,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
The best thing about HSV is that it ISNT Little Rock!
or Pulaski County!

HSV is gated, to some that is "elitist" but I doubt that is the view of most of the non-HSV-resident locals. The smart ones look at it as a great pool of customers that support their jobs.

As far as shopping, we've got our own Wal-Mart now! woohoo! from the east gate, its about 18 miles to Benton and 18 miles to Hot Springs. Benton has grown significantly in the last 10 years and now has Home Depot and a 24-hour Wal-Mart!

The future depends on how many new residents come along, how much the Hot Springs gambling grows, and the extension of the expressway to connect HSV to south central HS.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:57 PM

7 posts, read 16,596 times
I've been researching places to retire. HSV seams to have alot to offer for us. We like the Idea of a gated area, We do plan to do some traveling . It would be nice not to have to worry about the house,the crime rate is so low there. I like to golf some (8 courses that's unreal) ,but what I'am really looking for is all the lakes and the fishing there, and the clean water is important to me. I've been too many lakes in florida, fishing was good but water quality was poor( don't fish in ocean to much anymore because of back is getting old ) will only retire were water is very clean ,and the lakes are not crowded . I'am from new york and NC is not what I'am looking for(good lake areas are to crowded for me) HSV seams to have everything we want. mild climate , lake ouchiata close by not one house built on that lake and good fishing ,there seams to be manys things for the wife to do to. I realize it gets very hot for a while in the summer. But it is better then the 13 degrees I had to work in this morning ( tonight down to about 7) Will be going to HSV for vacation to see everything in 1 1/2 years it sure sounds like a nice place. Been researching all over the south can't find any place that has so much to offer for what it cost to live there.( how bad it the humidity in the summer the % is much lower then florida but I hear its humid there to )
thank you
'

Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 AM

Lake Ouchita is one of the cleanest lakes in the country, and I've been told (but not verified) that there is not a cleaner lake at a lower elevation. It is only a few miles out the west gate to Lake Ouachita.

The lakes in HSV are also clean and you can fish most of the big ones, with the exception of Lake Lago which is the drinking water reservoir. Lake Balboa is the largest lake inside the Village, and there are nice summer days when there are very few boats anywhere on the lake.

There are 9 courses here. One is an "executive" course, par 62, no par 5s, no bunkers (but very nice layout and excellent greens). One of the courses is 27 holes (3 9-hole rotations), and one of the courses is a 'private club' within the Village. The other 6 are standard 18-hole par 72 layouts, with a variety of terrains and characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacey View Post
how bad it the humidity in the summer the % is much lower then florida but I hear its humid there to )
thank you
'
The humidity tends to be worse in May and June. July and August are hotter but its a "dry heat". Well, not really! but it does tend to be dryer Mid-July through end of summer.

Historical Weather:
Month: June
Record High 108F
Record Low 49F
Normal High 89F
Normal Low 66F
Mean 77F
Normal Precip 5.02in

Month: Jul
Record High 103F
Record Low 62F
Normal High 94F
Normal Low 70F
Mean 82F
Normal Precip 4.18in

Month: Aug
Record High 115F
Record Low 50F
Normal High 94F
Normal Low 68F
Mean 81F
Normal Precip 3.08in

Old 01-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info jeff,were looking forward to visiting.I see it will be 70 degrees there tomorrow. Your lucky, maybe 45 here in NY . Thanks again frank (kacey is my dogs name she's my fishing partner)

Old 01-05-2008, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,443 times
Some of the things that drew me to HS is the fact that property is more reasonable than places like florida. there is always a festivel going on, something fun to do. You can buy a home on acrage for around 170 for 1600sf. taxes are low. I think that HS will grow in the future, it is one of the only art comunitys that is this reasonabl to live in. There are first fri.of the month art walks. Live shows. Film fest. bike week,blues fest. jazz fest. no end to something happning. I thought of moving to wichita and decided against it because there was nothing to do and taxes were so high.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM

The area seams to offer alot for me too. And hopefully plenty of peace and quiet. Don't want to be in a crowded area, coming for new york and had enough of it. I would leave tomorrow but I have to wait for my pension. My wife would like to know if there is bowling lanes close by to hot springs village. And are they going to put any convieance stores inside the gates just for things like milk and bread ,and the newspaper. Thanks alot frank

Old 01-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacey View Post
The area seams to offer alot for me too. And hopefully plenty of peace and quiet. Don't want to be in a crowded area, coming for new york and had enough of it. I would leave tomorrow but I have to wait for my pension. My wife would like to know if there is bowling lanes close by to hot springs village. And are they going to put any convieance stores inside the gates just for things like milk and bread ,and the newspaper. Thanks alot frank

Fiesta bowl - about 1 mile south of the HSV west gate, nice place, fairly new

Central Lanes - Hwy 7 South Hot Springs - 20-25 miles from west gate or Balboa gate or Danville Road gate, older center, well maintained.

Enterprise Lanes - Benton - about 20 miles from east gate. I would bet real money that (1) it is the cleanest bowling center in the United States (2) it has the fewest "calls" of any kind (ball returns, etc) in the United States (3) it has the most inflated scores and league averages in the United States.

There are a few convienience stores in the Village, one near Balboa dam (east end), one in the center of the village, and one on the west end. There are full sized grocery stores outside both gates, and a Wal-mart about 2 miles south of the West gate.

Same locations for the newspaper, I think the Arkansas Demo-Gaz and the Hot Springs Sentinal Record are also available through early morning delivery. The HSV weekly is delivered by USPS (same day).

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Thank you, Jeff for all your help. Hot Springs Village is on the top of are list. I showed the info, I have to some friends they were impressed too. A friend of mine brought a lot in tellico village in Tn. But to me hsv has alot more to do there. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or