U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,354,956 times

Advertisements

What a beautiful looking country, looks to be perfect to me, Lots of outdoor activites, nice landscape ie: hills, trees, water....
A few questions What is a dry county? No Bars? No beer sold in stores?
How is the fishing in Bull Shoals and Norman Lakes? Do folks fish all year, or just spring and summer? What about hunting and gun laws?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 06:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,903,769 times
It is a gorgeous area. I can't help you with hunting or fishing, but Bull Shoals is huge for water sports and camping.

Dry county = no alcohol anywhere except private clubs, and I'm not sure if there are any close there. No bars. No beer or anything else sold in stores. No liquor stores. Unless you want to drink cooking sherry, you're out of luck!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
What a beautiful looking country, looks to be perfect to me, Lots of outdoor activites, nice landscape ie: hills, trees, water....
How is the fishing in Bull Shoals and Norman Lakes? Do folks fish all year, or just spring and summer? What about hunting and gun laws?
Thanks
If you live in the Republic of Kalifornia you will fined a lot less gun laws in Arkansas. And you can get a CCW permit without to much trouble.
Fishing is all year Their is always something to catch. Hunting has it's seasons but lots of deer. For a beer, booze or a Power Ball ticket we go to Missouri, But we are about 40 miles south of Mountain Home But Mountain Home is wet and has liquor stores.

we got out of the Republic of Kalifornia about two years ago and moved to north east Arkansas that the best thing we ever did.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:27 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
we got out of the Republic of Kalifornia about two years ago and moved to north east Arkansas that the best thing we ever did.
How was the Culture Shock? Folks actually speak to you?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:44 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,856,321 times
Cali man, Boone County is dry as a bone. They don't even allow the private clubs up there. Marion county has gone wet now so Yellville or surrounding area might be an option for you too.

As for culture shock, I think it will depend entirely on you and how you approach the people. From what I've gathered about you in some of your posts, I think you'll do fine. You seem like a pretty down to earth fellow. Since you hunt and fish then you should be in good position to meet plenty of people with similar interests!

Here's a FAQ for getting your hunting license:
License Information (http://www.agfc.com/hunting/license-info-hunting.aspx - broken link)

Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 AM

44 posts, read 172,956 times
There are a few private clubs in Boone County, but the whole wet/dry issue is coming up for a vote next November. With wet counties to our East and our West, and Missouri to the north, I have to believe it will pass and go wet.

Fishing is year round.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,856,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbernard View Post
There are a few private clubs in Boone County, but the whole wet/dry issue is coming up for a vote next November. With wet counties to our East and our West, and Missouri to the north, I have to believe it will pass and go wet.

Fishing is year round.
When did they start allowing private clubs?!?! I'm really amazed by that.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
How was the Culture Shock? Folks actually speak to you?
We have had no problem with culture shock and meeting and knowing people. We know more people and have more friends now than we did in California And we lived in cal more then 50 years.
Their is a gun show in Salim this weekend I'll be going to, Most of the gun shows are not very big but have allot of goodies. Their is one at the Mountain Home Fair Grounds once or twice a year but haven't been to that one.

You know what a fishing license cost in cal. It's $10.00 here 15 with a trout stamp.

Last edited by junkman18; 01-02-2008 at 07:51 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Cali man, Boone County is dry as a bone. They don't even allow the private clubs up there. Marion county has gone wet now so Yellville or surrounding area might be an option for you too.

As for culture shock, I think it will depend entirely on you and how you approach the people. From what I've gathered about you in some of your posts, I think you'll do fine. You seem like a pretty down to earth fellow. Since you hunt and fish then you should be in good position to meet plenty of people with similar interests!

Here's a FAQ for getting your hunting license:
License Information (http://www.agfc.com/hunting/license-info-hunting.aspx - broken link)
Thank you Good Information

Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks
What Part of California are you in??? We were in the Palmdale/Lancaster area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or