U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:39 PM

564 posts, read 2,064,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
To go there and be a voice to counteract this lunacy. But, that's just me, I like to fight and agitate and have few problems getting right back in people's faces. It's a hockey thing...
I'm a soccer nut/player, so I just lay on the couch and act like I'm upset about things just to kill time, until someone threatens me to get up or they'll "card" me.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:47 PM

11 posts, read 33,261 times
.... I did find out there is <drum roll please>... A natural foods store in Searcy! I do believe this tips the scales a little, yes? No my husband didn't get a job in the natural gas bz or at Harding, but as we've been calling around for real estate, at least a hundred people have mentioned the boom that has come to the town with the natural gas bz. Surely this has to put some balance on the 'education' bz - yes?

Last edited by delta_queen; 01-03-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 03:03 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,854,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_queen View Post
.... I did find out there is <drum roll please>... A natural foods store in Searcy! I do believe this tips the scales a little, yes? No my husband didn't get a job in the natural gas bz or at Harding, but as we've been calling around for real estate, at least a hundred people have mentioned the boom that has come to the town with the natural gas bz. Surely this has to put some balance on the 'education' bz - yes?

You'd have to think that eventually the town would turn a bit more progressive with the influx of people this will cause. Searcy is supposed to be at the forefront of this. I was looking through some of the information on this topic a week or so ago and I think I remember that over 1000 new jobs were expected to be created in White County alone with well over 5000 across the whole Fayetteville Shale deposit and total investment in the local economies of $5B!! And now they want to rework the numbers because they think those projections were actually low. Now, if Searcy is as insular as some suggest then you can expect some major growing pains over the course of the next 5-10 years as the old time power brokers see their influence withering. Just as long as the real Arkansas culture doesn't get washed away, the community will wind up being much better for this.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:37 AM

12 posts, read 34,785 times
Quote: "I can tell you having spent 14 years of my childhood in Searcy that it is an ultra-conservative town that should be called Harding, AR instead of Searcy."

That is so true! I've lived about 30 min from Searcy for the last 11 years and have worked there...my dad has worked there for 9 years. Another big biz in Searcy is the medical industry...there are 2 hospitals, 50 drs offices, and about 30 pharmacies...I worked in a pharmacy and my dad works in the hospital.

One of these Christian groups have also been on the backs of the movie theaters about certain movies. Searcy is also in a dry county...nearest liquor store is about 30 minutes away...not that I drink, but I'm an army brat and all of our friends and family are normally shocked by that.

But it's not that bad...most people are very friendly!!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 33,261 times
Happy to report back here that I just spent my first weekend at our new house in the country north of searcy. BEAUTIFUL area. Numerous coffee shops, BBQ joints. I think I'm gonna like it there. PLUS my Alltel wireless broadband access works great out there. PHEW.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 AM

12 posts, read 34,785 times
Yah! Good for you!! Welcome!!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 14,311 times
I truly love searcy I have lived here since 2001 ( just before books- a-million closed) i moved here for my husband, sure there are alot of ultra religious conservatives but the schools are great and things are becoming more open minded. The deal with books a million was people did not like the fact that they openly displayed books of sexual nature and art books of nudity, this is simply because they were being picked up and looked at my kids or the students at hrading, which is a christian college, and does not concdone such materials for the kids/unmarried college students. and also it didnt help that hastings was growing in popularity, you can find pretty uch all the same books and more at hastings as what books a million is selling, When you want to live in a town worth raising your children in you have to deal with some things you may not like, for instance the ultra conservativenes which is now starting to shed some, searcy is growing and my husband, whom works in construction, says that with all the new gas and other businesses coming to the area searcy will have almost doubled in size in the next 10 years, so yeah to keep searcy as a good city we def. need our ultra conservs to keep a handle in thngs so we dont become a nasty low life town

Old 03-01-2008, 08:48 PM

106 posts, read 406,423 times
Default Bite my tongue

Up to this point, I was biting my tongue, thinking everyone has a different opinion on things. But clearly, free thinking is not "nasty", and ultra conserv's of any religion tends to be minority in population.

One does not define "Good City" as everyone thinking alike ... much less reading the same chapter/verse/version.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 AM

34 posts, read 110,890 times
I'm enjoying this thread.

I live in Laredo, TX, a city of 225,000 on the US-Mexico border that is basically illiterate in two languages, so all we have is a closet-sized shopping mall chain book store (Waldenbooks or B. Dalton). A friend of mine tried to start a book store here but went out of business because of the small market size (small number of readers). My guess is that in Searcy, Books a Million created a stir by having a few "naughty" books on display, and the company figured that the small size of the city itself, coupled with a group (however small) boycotting the store, made the location unfeasible.

By the way, the reason I am looking at Searcy's discussion forums is because it's one of about 14 small cities in Arkansas defined as "micropolitan", and with my new position as urban geographer at UCA in Conway, I am planning on researching trends in the state's micropolitan areas. One trend among micropolitan areas that happens nationally is that many see their businesses losing out to sprawling shopping centers in nearby metropolitan areas. Just speculating here, but could it be that Little Rock draws shoppers from Searcy?

I am absolutely thrilled, by the way, to be moving to Arkansas in July. I've got an incredibly good feeling about it, and I think my future is quite bright.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Could it be at ALL possible that the Hastings there helped to put the small bookstore out of business???
I saw this thread title and decided to jump in.

Remember that I live in a large metro area that is not exactly 'Bible Belt' conservative (Phx area) and we seem to have a much smaller percentage of Indie book stores compared to even 10 years ago.

So; Stormcrow73 may have nailed the real reason why Books a Million went out.

BTW: what media are all of us posters on this thread using right now?

You got it: the Internet-------many of the more educated/affluent swap info online as well as patronize outlets like amazon.com for books.

Something to ponder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas