U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 PM

11 posts, read 33,269 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

My husband just got a job offer in Searcy. (We currently live in Memphis). I was doing some research and read in this forum that Searcy's one and only bookstore shut down due to being blackballed by the community for literature they didn't approve of .... Now I knew that Searcy is home to a large Christian univeristy but I thought this meant there were some educated christians running around?? The thought of this witchhunt has me shaking in my shoes and considering asking my husband to just keep looking elsewhere for work. Can anybody with first hand experience quell my fears about this community? Be honest.

Thanks,
Delta

Last edited by delta_queen; 01-03-2008 at 12:14 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 06:36 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,909,118 times
--bookstore--????

What is wrong about not spending your money in a place for profit?

Any business for profit that does not care if they offend people (aka customers) will probably go out of business.
That holds true if you own a restaurant, book store, clothing store, or grocery store.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,906,069 times
I think Delta may be referring to book banning, which many of us find horribly offensive.

Delta, I believe that was in 2001 - and yes, they were pressured by a Christian group to stop selling, among other things, the New Joys of Sex...oh, for pete's sake...all that was really said was that the lease wasn't renewed. Somehow I don't think that's the book the pre-teens are rushing to take a peek at.

Delta, I would hope that is a small group, and I hope the non-renewal of the lease was just a fluke. I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on it, though...you could probably figure out a lot by taking a look around the public library. If Harry Potter ain't there, I'd say there's a problem since that seems to be the most recent book banning everyone is jumping on the bandwagon for.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:02 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,909,118 times
----book banning,which many of us find horribly offensive--

"book banning" usually refers to public libraries or schools.
Since the questioneer mentioned---book store-- I would presume that is a "for profit"--"private business"-- that should realize there are consequences if you offend the public.

comparing bookstore to public libraryis an apples to oranges comparrison ( IMHO)

Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 AM

Ummm...just my opinion, whenever a religious group puts such pressure on a public or private entity to cease and desist from selling or shelving or carrying anything not illegal, that's book banning. Separation of church and state and all that...but it's kind of a moot point, the bookstore closed for whatever reason. Delta just needs to be aware there is a very strong religious faction in that area, as in most of Arkansas, that will....ummmm....not be afraid to state their minds.

Delta, there are educated Christians running around, lol! However, their view of the world may be narrower than yours...and that's Arkansas.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 AM

83 posts, read 428,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta_queen View Post
Hello Folks,

My husband just got a job offer in Searcy. (We currently live in Memphis). I was doing some research and read in this forum that Searcy's one and only bookstore shut down due to being blackballed by the community for literature they didn't approve of .... Now I knew that Searcy is home to a large Christian univeristy but I thought this meant there were some educated christians running around?? The thought of this witchhunt has me shaking in my shoes and considering asking my husband to just keep looking elsewhere for work. Can anybody with first hand experience quell my fears about this community? Be honest.

Thanks,
Delta

Welcome to Arkansas! That's a major reason that we left.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:51 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,857,220 times
Could it be at ALL possible that the Hastings there helped to put the small bookstore out of business???

Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 AM

I thought it was Books A Million that went out...surely they weren't a small store? Well, maybe...it is Searcy...

Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,857,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I thought it was Books A Million that went out...surely they weren't a small store? Well, maybe...it is Searcy...
Hmm, I've seem some fairly small Books a Million but I also wouldn't expect the Hastings there to have a selection that dwarfed even the small books a million. I don't know the background but not everything that happens in small towns is a redneck bible thumper plot.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,037,865 times
Will someone tell me what kind of book store was this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas