Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,648,652 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the info, it's been very helpful!

We are looking for at least 10 acres, but the more the better. We would take less if it backs up to land we could use for hunting like forest land. Is "corps" land also huntable? I've seen it mentioned on some property descriptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 PM

7 posts, read 9,900 times
I am considering Northern Arkansas as well..How is the economy right now there? Cost of Living?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,530 times
The economy over by Rogers is always upbeat. The cost of living is very fair, too. I have always loved the area between Alpena and Springdale. With some swaying to the south (Jasper) and to the north (Eureka-Pea Ridge area). Now, I have been through the Ouatichas and fell in love!!! Especially near Danville. Crystals galore!!!

Old 01-01-2015, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odius Purus View Post
I am considering Northern Arkansas as well..How is the economy right now there? Cost of Living?
The cost of living is low, but of course not knowing where you live could make a difference. There are places with a lower cost of living. Jobs are plentiful depending on your field and housing is lower than the national average. There may be a few things that are a little higher than average, but not many. Are you thinking you would like a rural enviornment or urban? This can make a difference as well.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:59 PM

87 posts, read 139,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I don't give up easily , but first take a drive through the Ouachita's. You can have your seclusion there and they are real mountains, not a plateau .
The Ouachita Mountains were at one time a part of the Appalachian Mountains.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:07 AM

We have just about narrowed down our location to the areas in and around the Ozark National forest. We'd love to have our land bordered by national forest. There are a few houses we are interested in now but we need to sell ours here in Louisiana first. If anyone has any info to pass on about the Ozark forest area, please do so. We also raised our budget to about 385K.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:05 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
I'd second what OF says about looking for land that is "National Forest adjacent". Western Arkansas has a huge abundance of land that fits that description. Hunting on public lands is the easiest, but if you can afford 2-300 acres, then that won't be much of an issue.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
We've been planning a semi-retirement area all year, and up until this point, we were considering parts of Colorado. Now we are thinking north Arkansas or southern Missouri. We are looking for privacy with a lot of acreage. My husband loves to hunt and he wants to be able to hunt his own property possibly. We both love the mountains so we'd love to be near the Ozarks. We are looking at the area of Harrison to Mountain Home. We currently live in south Louisiana. Our budget will be 200K-300K.

How much does homeowners generally run yearly in that price range? I don't know, but property taxes are very low. I bought 35 acres and pay $2XX/year in taxes.
Does anywhere require flood insurance? I wouldn't think so unless you picked an area that was just a bad idea to begin with.
How hot does it get in the summer and how cold in the winter? Take S. LA temperatures, and knock about 10-15*F off of them on average, except for the "extremes", in which case AR/LA can do similar things on their "record days".
How often does it snow? Once a year or so, on average, is what my friends who have been here for 5-6 years tell me.

If there is anything anyone can inform me of, I'm all ears. I want the good and bad. Thanks in advance.
I relocated from the dump that is NW Louisiana to the wonderful, friendly, beautiful, better place that is NW Arkansas.

My answers are above in red.

I bought 35 acres and see plenty of deer sign on it. Plan on building a house in a few years. It is 3 miles outside of a city (small city) with paved roads right to the driveway, 30 minutes from a "large" population center, has high-speed internet on site. Ran me $1600ish an acre. Here are some pictures:

Waterfall III - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEA544kGPTs

I think you'd love the move!

Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times
My mom bought her house in Newton county for $60,000. It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath. The original log cabin area which is about 150 years old was added on to. They cabin needed some tlc but they have it looking awesome now! Did I mention that with the 60k they spent came 63 acres? Newton county is a good option...if you like living in the country. No stop lights in the entire county.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I relocated from the dump that is NW Louisiana to the wonderful, friendly, beautiful, better place that is NW Arkansas.

My answers are above in red.

I bought 35 acres and see plenty of deer sign on it. Plan on building a house in a few years. It is 3 miles outside of a city (small city) with paved roads right to the driveway, 30 minutes from a "large" population center, has high-speed internet on site. Ran me $1600ish an acre. Here are some pictures:

I think you'd love the move!

Wow, the property is beautiful!! Yes, that's exactly what we want too. We want to be as close to nature as possible and away from neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas