Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM

124 posts, read 219,396 times

Advertisements

Don't worry too much about how hot it gets, it's much more important on how hot it FEELS. As long as you're above approximately 1200 feet, a world of difference in So Louisiana humidity and Ozark/Ouachita humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 04:45 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmiii View Post
Don't worry too much about how hot it gets, it's much more important on how hot it FEELS. As long as you're above approximately 1200 feet, a world of difference in So Louisiana humidity and Ozark/Ouachita humidity.
Thanks, thats good to know. I have lived here all my life and don't want to suffer through another summer here. It's just miserable.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:23 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,619 times
If you look at "wind maps", you'll find that NW Arkansas gets some of the wind you'd find out on the plains. To me, it can be annoying when it hits for a few days, usually in the spring. On the other hand, I think it keeps the humidity moving and it never gets that "stagnant" feeling for too long.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:03 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,619 times
To back up my posting about "winds", I read an article recently that there is discussion of windfarms in the Elm Springs area. Wind maps also back up the assertion that NWA gets clipped by some good strong winds from time to time. I think that definitely keeps the area from having that "stagnant" humid feeling you find deeper in the southern U.S.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:27 AM

Im resurrecting this old thread to update, we now are Arkansas residents! We bought a home on 40 acres bordering forest land in Jasper. We've only been here a few weeks and are still getting settled. The view from my front porch is breathtaking. The people here have been the most friendly and helpful people I've ever come across. Everyone has been very welcoming.

We have been acting like tourist in our new town (when we can break away from all the unpacking and orgranizing) and visiting areas in Jasper and Ponca. I got to know Branson fairly well as we stayed there for a month while between homes. This is truly a beautiful area.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:54 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Thank you for updating us. I've always loved the area you've settled into. Hopefully next year will be a more colorful autumn than this year, and that will take your breath away. Are you getting ready for winter?

Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
While most of the western side of Arkansas is lovely, Newton County (of which Jasper is the county seat, with around 500 residents) is the most beautiful area of Arkansas. IMO

Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 PM

340 posts, read 516,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Im resurrecting this old thread to update, we now are Arkansas residents! We bought a home on 40 acres bordering forest land in Jasper. We've only been here a few weeks and are still getting settled. The view from my front porch is breathtaking. The people here have been the most friendly and helpful people I've ever come across. Everyone has been very welcoming.

We have been acting like tourist in our new town (when we can break away from all the unpacking and orgranizing) and visiting areas in Jasper and Ponca. I got to know Branson fairly well as we stayed there for a month while between homes. This is truly a beautiful area.
Be sure to visit Randal and Debbie at the Hub, best steaks and prime rib in the area.

The Hub is at the area that was the parking lot and entrance to the old Dogpatch theme park.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Thank you for updating us. I've always loved the area you've settled into. Hopefully next year will be a more colorful autumn than this year, and that will take your breath away. Are you getting ready for winter?
Yes, definitely prepping for winter, keeping stocks of food and fuel just in case we can't get out. Going ahead and getting winter out of the way is probably best. Coming from the deep south, this will be a very different winter than what I'm accustomed to.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
Be sure to visit Randal and Debbie at the Hub, best steaks and prime rib in the area.

The Hub is at the area that was the parking lot and entrance to the old Dogpatch theme park.
dogpatch theme park? That must be that abandoned theme park we've seen, it looks so creepy from the highway. I had commented at Halloween that it was perfect for a good haunted house.

I'll have to look for the hub, haven't noticed it. Unless that's the motorbike gathering place up the hill off of 7?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas