U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:58 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,926,232 times

Advertisements

Out where, lol??? Eureka, Little Rock, or Fayetteville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:11 PM

308 posts, read 1,445,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmommaCA View Post
Another poster talked about busing -- do kids not attend neighborhood schools? If we live in a neighborhood with a good school, does that guarantee that the child attends that school? Or is there a lottery of some sort? I know there are magnet schools, how do they work?
Rarely. As Sam I Am already mentioned, kids are often bused to other schools in order to meet racial quotas or for whatever other reason they wish to concoct to get your children elsewhere.

In the past, we lived in a neighborhood with a school right across the street from the subdivision. It was hell trying to turn out of the subidivison onto the main street due to traffic. A number of people got the bright idea to demand a traffic light there because of the allegedly poor children who needed to cross the street in order to get to school. There was ONE kid who was apparently hit there MANY, MANY years ago, and they used this as partial proof of the need for a new traffic light. I personally felt it was complete & utter crap. The vast majority of the children who attended that school did not live in our neighborhood as you'd see our neighborhood children being bused to schools well out of the way and no where close within walking distance; several others were being homeschooled. T'was a joke, but hey, they got a new traffic light out of the deal. Probably worth it in that school's case though because it was not one I'd wish my own child to attend.

What typically happens is you get to request your top 3 (or whatever magic #) preferences for a school. You may or may not get it. Most people I know did not get their choice. And even better, those with multiple children often had them attending different schools no where close to one another. I know teachers at LR public schools who refuse to allow their children to attend those same schools. I've met other LR teachers who have no business teaching. I'm not against public education; we'd actually prefer it. I am, however, most definitely quite leery of public education in LR.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:33 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,863,789 times
With all the good details about how the LR school system works, I think we need to make sure people understand that outside of LR is the Pulaski County Special School District. As I understand it, PCSSD does engage in some moderate level of bussing but it is usually taking children out of the poorer areas and moving them out to other schools. So, if you live in Maumelle, your child WILL go to Pine Forest ES, Maumelle MS, and the new HS when it gets built. A lot of people opt to not live within the LR city limits so they can have this level of control over their child's education. So, don't get scared away by LR's current lunacy that I think will have to change fairly soon anyway because you can always live in Maumelle, Sherwood, or NLR and be able to know your child will go to a particular school.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 AM

13 posts, read 59,002 times
Little Rock and Fayetteville?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 PM

78 posts, read 864,108 times
I have lived in the south (born and raised) and also in Vegas for three years. Henderson is not going to be much different than where you are now in terms of cost of living, maybe slightly less but nothing drastic. I know nothing about Utah and have only passed through Austin although I hear it is nice. Dallas is great, plenty to do and lower cost of living. I doubt you would like Little Rock but you might like Fayetteville because it has a nice small town feel and some mountains. Have you checked into the Atlanta, GA area? It is really nice and has lots of hills/mountains even in north GA, with plenty of very affordable houses. You get a lot for your money in Atlanta area in terms of housing and its a great place to raise a family. Suwanee, GA (which we lived there too) was voted among the top places to live in 2007. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas