Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Is HOT SPRINGS basically a much larger version of EUREKA SPRINGS?

I visited Eureka Springs, and really liked the little town quite a bit. Which is making me quite a bit interested in Arkansas in general. Viewing Hot Springs, and I also see lots of hills, forests, curvy roads, etc. Particularly up near the national park.

Would you say that Hot Springs and Eureka Springs have a lot of similarities? Except one being significantly larger, comparatively. Or do they just feel significantly different altogether to you?

And if they do feel quite a bit different, WHY? Where similar, HOW SO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,329 times
Both Eureka Springs and Hot Springs are "tourist towns". As a life-long Arkansan, I feel as that's were the similarities end. Eureka is more boho and more of a seasonal town. Years ago, the shops used to close up pretty much after Christmas and open back up in the spring. Of course, this has changed.

While the downtown area of Hot Springs does cater to tourists (and is similar to ES), there is another part to Hot Springs. This part is the "real" family/neighborhood side--something you'd find in a non-tourist locale. And something I don't feel in ES.

Hot Springs has "brand name" shopping, car lots, fast food,etc; ES does not. I like both equally well

Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.

Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
Both Eureka Springs and Hot Springs are "tourist towns". As a life-long Arkansan, I feel as that's were the similarities end. Eureka is more boho and more of a seasonal town. Years ago, the shops used to close up pretty much after Christmas and open back up in the spring. Of course, this has changed.

While the downtown area of Hot Springs does cater to tourists (and is similar to ES), there is another part to Hot Springs. This part is the "real" family/neighborhood side--something you'd find in a non-tourist locale. And something I don't feel in ES.

Hot Springs has "brand name" shopping, car lots, fast food,etc; ES does not. I like both equally well

Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.
Looking forward to that. I'm from outside the region, but I came across Eureka Springs quite accidentally through photos. Found it to be beautifully photogenic, and recently was able to visit the town as well. Wow, looks just as good in person as it does in photos! (Which isn't always the case).

Hot Springs, while probably quite famous and well-known among Arkansas and others in the region, is a bit new on my radar as well. Looking forward to seeing it someday as well.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:29 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,904,103 times
I have only visited ES but have worked in and spend quite a bit of time in HS and really find no comparison except as Posted by OGE. The "tourist" part of HS is downtown in what is considered the old/original part, but when you get out of there you find lakes, rivers, hiking, and most anything recreation wise. If gambling is your "cup of tea", it is there also. HS is in the Ouachita Mountains which are quite a bit different from the Ozark Plateau where ES is located. Whichever you choose, welcome to The Natural State . I think you will like us .

Old 01-15-2015, 09:29 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
In all fairness if it's Northern California you like Eureka Springs will fill the bill. As an Arky of several generations I find little in Eureka Springs that I could call Arkansas except it's position on the map. Hot Springs is ok but much of it is seedy. Naturally, either of these cities could well appeal to you even if it doesn't me.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:22 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Eureka Springs and Hot Springs are as different as can be. edit -- in my opinion!

The downtown area of HS is not as nice as ES. The recent fire in the Majestic Hotel has made that area a little more icky (the Majestic was already abandoned and derelict, and so already icky). And, (as you've already been to ES you know this) the roads are steeper and curvier in ES. There are also more old, well-preserved homes than HS. HS is not disgusting, by any means, but compared to ES....it's not quite as "fairy-tale"-ish.

Also, there are "lots of hills, forests, curvy roads" around both, but the hills are steeper in ES (I mean, comparing the downtown historic districts, because that's the main draw of ES).

It is beautiful countryside around both places. The difference there is the presence of lots of pines in the forests around HS and mostly hardwood forests around ES. I personally prefer hardwood forests but have considered retiring to the HS area because (1) it it more centrally located in the state (there are plenty of great things to do below I40 also! And it's still close enough to NW Arkansas that we could make week-end trips) and (2) It's warmer in the winter -- I hate cold, and (3) there is still plenty of great fall foliage.

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 01-15-2015 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas