U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,854,459 times

Advertisements

Carol, my post wasn't meant as an attack. I do get frustrated sometimes by the general lack of knowledge about nuclear power and the regulation around it. I will say that if the regulation and oversight was much less, then I would reverse my stance because nuclear DOES have a lot of inherent risk. But here in the US, we've managed that risk to a tolerable level. Each and every operating nuclear unit has at least one NRC liason permanently attached to it so plants can't cover anything up. The liason can go ANYWHERE and look at ANYTHING, well, except into containment while the plant is operating because that would be a death sentence. If I lived in Europe or Japan, I would NOT be willing to live near a nuclear plant becuase they just don't have the oversight we do.

One thing you need to understand is the difference between a leak and a release. A leak does NOT have any radiatiactive components in it. If radioactivity in any form leaves the plant (other than in contained vessels for transport to storage) then that is called a release event. Release event's trigger mandated shtudowns. The "leaks" reported by UCS are not from within containment. Nuclear plants have 2 isolated water systems. One is dirty (i.e. flows through the reactor and is radioactive, called reactor coolant), one is not. These two never come into contact! The reactor coolant heats the steam supply indirectly. Leaks are only in the steam supply. If the reactor coolant were to leak that would be a release event and everyone in the United States would know about it. Again...you get more ionizing radiation dose (alpha, beta and gamma) by going to the beach or being in the sun for a few hours than what gets leaked from nuclear plants. when you look at the UCS site data, the category called "containment sump" means that there have been some leaks of the reactor coolant inside of containment. It still does NOT mean that has gotten outside of the plant.

We all know there is no perfect place. Anywhere you look you're bound to find something to gripe about and each person has their comfort zone. I don't fault you if you find a nuclear plant outside your comfort zone but you can at least educate yourself about what the REAL risks are not make the reactionary kneejerk decision about it. Far too many people have a fundamental lack of understanding about nuclear power and never bother to educate themselves and continue to think about TMI type events, which will almost certainly never again occur in this country.

Yes, there are LOTS of nuclear plants in the US and most are in the NE. I will all but guarantee that in the near future, many more will be built because despite the waste issue that's the only significant source of power available that is greenhouse gas clean. Solar and wind can only augment or provide primary power to very small users. If the international community continues to demand lower greenhouse gas emmisions, then nuclear is our only real viable option.

Sam...I always thought the cooling tower was a rather attractive feature!! And as for potential events related to the plant, sometime in the early 90's, a flatbed containing casks of low level waste slid off of I-40 just east of town. The casks were all thoroughly inspected and no releases occured.

SEFOR is the reactor near Fayetteville. I wouldn't characterize it as a secret but I inform myself about such topics. While the containment building is still radioactive on the inside, all of the internals were removed. It was operated during the fast and loose days before TMI and at that time was EXTREMELY risky. Currently, security and inspections are provided by the UA and the radioactivity is monitored by the Arkansas Department of Health. I'm not exactly confident that ADH has the knowledge to do an adequate job but we can at least take comfort in the fact that, while still hot, the site only has residual radioactivity, meaning it won't leak into groundwater unless the containment building begins to leak (and it doesn't yet) and people would have to go into containment and take away pieces for it to get into the general populace. So, yes, less safe than ANO but not something that would keep me up at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM

564 posts, read 2,064,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmora View Post
Is there really a nuclear plant in Russellville? That is not a good thing if so.
It provides jobs and helps our local economy.

I agree, that's just awful.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM

564 posts, read 2,064,165 times
Quote:
Wow. I feel like I have been attacked. It just scares me to be near one. Radiation leaks, contaminated water and ground...blowing up. Sorry.
I don't know why you felt like you were being attacked. Just because someone presented facts to counterpoint your claim that it's bad doesn't mean you're being attacked. If you don't want something to be challenged, don't post on an open forum, especially when you're discussing something that's vital to the economy of a community. If it scares you to be near one and you dislike them so, DON'T LIVE HERE. That's just common sense.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
Quote:
I just checked out the information on the plant and found ground water leaks reported. I was also shocked as to how many plants there are on the east coast. This decision on this move is becoming so hard. I just wish Hot Springs crime rate was not so high. I did enjoy that area...for a visit. What are these "chicken plants" you mentioned?

Chicken plants are ... chicken plants. Tyson's has a couple of chicken processing plants here and on certain days or if the air isn't moving much you can get a little bit of a stink. Some areas of town are worse than others. I only notice it on days when the humidity is high and the air isn't moving much.

Look at Hot Springs Village if you want to be close to HS but not right in town. JeffAtkins that posts on this board can tell you a lot about that area.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:31 PM

50 posts, read 150,331 times
Stormcrow73 thank you for being understanding instead of sarcastic or semi-rude like certain people. I do appreciate the politeness.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:58 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,899,825 times
chicken processing plants and meat packing plants ====illegals
That is true anyplace in the United States.

For some it is no big deal. For the people who consider it a big deal, check it out before moving.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:31 PM

2,161 posts, read 7,484,341 times
I have visited Russellville area and yes, I noticed the big cooling towers of the nuclear power plant down by the river. Actually I was pleased to see that it was a nuclear power plant, not a giant coal fired power plant like those found along so many rivers in the upper midwest. Coal fired power plants, especially the older generation ones that are common in the upper midwest, belch out significant amounts of CO2, particle pollution and air pollution. I would not move to a town that had a coal fired power plant in the nearby vicinity.

However, a well run nuclear plant in the general vicinity of where I live does not bother me. I live about 25 miles north of a large nuke plant now, and if I lived closer it would still not be a big concern. I have considered moving to Russellville area, and the nuke plant there would not enter into the decision factor.

I am in favor of building some more nuke plants in the US instead of more coal power plants. It would be good for the economy, reduce greenhouse gas and pollution. If France can get about 80 percent of their power from nuclear power plants, we should be able to figure out how to get 30 or 40 percent of our power from nukes instead of just 15 percent.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,672 times
Carolmora,

I'm WITH you & I thank you for posting the info about the nuke plant in Russellville. I was interested in a property advertised there, but will NOT buy because of that. Not good for property value, not to mention health risks.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:22 AM

266 posts, read 830,623 times
Quote:
This decision on this move is becoming so hard. I just wish Hot Springs crime rate was not so high. I did enjoy that area...
Carolmora, You'll probably want to stay away from the Pine Bluff Arsenal

If we could magically turn every power plant in the country into a nuclear plants, we'd all be better off.

And I didn't want to get off topic, but Sam I Am mentioned me, so....

Hot Springs was noted by the FBI as being the worst town in the country (Population 30,000+) for property crimes. If you like the area, but don't want to live there, consider Hot Springs Village. The crime in HSV is well below the state average.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM

465 posts, read 1,250,091 times
Stormcrow73 do you know much about welding jobs at the plant? I'm nowhere near being certified to work there, being a welder I'm just curios.
Also exactly where does all the electricity go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas