U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,855,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I wouldn't say she tried to ruin Arkansas' schools. But people who grow up in urban environments (it's possible that Fayetteville was the most rural town she's ever lived in, and Fayetteville is one of the largest cities in Arkansas) see busing as an integration issue, they just don't have any idea of what it's like for children to have to ride buses for hours to get to a school. That said, education did improve while Bill Clinton was governor. There was more funding, new textbooks were brought in, teachers salaries increased. Consolidation was probably a bigger issue while Huckabee was governor because of the whole court thing.

I don't think Hillary is an elitist, either. She just wasn't a native Arkansan, and never did assimilate.

DC
My school did NOT improve under Bill's watch. We were required to hire teachers for programs the school couldn't pay for. My poor little rural school contracted teachers for an hour here or an hour there from larger schools so we could check off all the newly required programs. I'm not saying the newly required programs were bad, but my school and many others of it's size did not get adequate funding because they fought consolidation.

Yes there were consolidation issues under Huck too, that I sure won't deny. And I think some schools got themselves in serious trouble trying to pay for things they shouldn't like new gyms and fields thus the now fiscal distress list.

I still and always will maintain that the Clinton education reform did wonders for large schools at the expense of schools like the one I attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,523,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
My school did NOT improve under Bill's watch. We were required to hire teachers for programs the school couldn't pay for. My poor little rural school contracted teachers for an hour here or an hour there from larger schools so we could check off all the newly required programs. I'm not saying the newly required programs were bad, but my school and many others of it's size did not get adequate funding because they fought consolidation.

Yes there were consolidation issues under Huck too, that I sure won't deny. And I think some schools got themselves in serious trouble trying to pay for things they shouldn't like new gyms and fields thus the now fiscal distress list.

I still and always will maintain that the Clinton education reform did wonders for large schools at the expense of schools like the one I attended.
Agreed.
I was an Arkansawer off-and-on during the Clinton years, but what I saw there was a whole lot of nothing being done. In my neck of the woods, schools were severely underfunded. The rural schools resembled third world countries, and the ones in town weren't much better.
Besides all the afore mentioned problems in previous posts.... and the lack of academic progress, there were plenty of other issues that simply shouldn't happen in modern America.
As late as the early 90's, in my town, they were still having to call off school due to the summer heat, because they didn't have air conditioners. Yes, these were the "city" schools (albeit a very small city) that everyone was having to consolidate in to.

Since then, school consolidation has taken place. A lot of the buildings are new... complete with air conditioning, but people really hate that 30 mile drive to school. For better of worse, the migration from the farmland to the city is still in full force. I don't think that there are enough students to even support those old schools.
It's sad to think about, really. I don't have many fond memories of Arkansas, but one that I do have is going to play basketball games in those old, musty gyms, way out in the farm land, with the loud echos of the crowd, bouncing off a structure completely made of wood.

Last edited by northbound74; 02-05-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,602,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Agreed.
I was an Arkansawer off-and-on during the Clinton years, but what I saw there was a whole lot of nothing being done. In my neck of the woods, schools were severely underfunded. The rural schools resembled third world countries, and the ones in town weren't much better.
Besides all the afore mentioned problems in previous posts.... and the lack of academic progress, there were plenty of other issues that simply shouldn't happen in modern America.
As late as the early 90's, in my town, they were still having to call off school due to the summer heat, because they didn't have air conditioners. Yes, these were the "city" schools (albeit a very small city) that everyone was having to consolidate into.
Thats how my rural school was in Missouri as recently as 1996. At least Arkansas isn't 49th or 50th in education anymore like it once was.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Agreed.
As late as the early 90's, in my town, they were still having to call off school due to the summer heat, because they didn't have air conditioners. Yes, these were the "city" schools (albeit a very small city) that everyone was having to consolidate in to.

Since then, school consolidation has taken place. A lot of the buildings are new... complete with air conditioning, but people really hate that 30 mile drive to school. For better of worse, the migration from the farmland to the city is still in full force. I don't think that there are enough students to even support those old schools.
It's sad to think about, really. I don't have many fond memories of Arkansas, but one that I do have is going to play basketball games in those old, musty gyms, way out in the farm land, with the loud echos of the crowd, bouncing off a structure completely made of wood.
Mark this day in history, northbound and I have agreed on something!!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,523,352 times
After many months of reaching across the aisle in the spirit of bi-partisanship...
February 6, 2008. The Stormcrow-Northbound peace accord.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just so you know Sam, I voted for Hillary.

DC
Ah, but DC - I don't "know" you! Still, I will put your name in the column of Hillary supporters. It looks kind of lonely over there by itself, though!!! Just teasin' you...I really am joking with you!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
After many months of reaching across the aisle in the spirit of bi-partisanship...
February 6, 2008. The Stormcrow-Northbound peace accord.
Perhaps we can make it last even after my next opportunity to be a complete homer and gloss over some of the less than savory aspects of my favorite state. lol

Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM

69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
I'm a Democrat and my vote would be for either Edwards or Obama.

I really dislike Huckabee and McCain. The idea of either leading this country scares me.
And Obama doesn't?>

Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 AM

140 posts, read 422,383 times
I admit , in my long ago college days, I campaigned for George McGovern for President- he was anti-Vietnam War- He was correct ! Now we have the opportunity to bring back our young people out of war torn Iraq . The Republicans lost the right to govern the White House ! Who in their right mind would support a ,"War Machine Economy" ? We need a Healthy minded Leader that can graciously bring both Domestic and Foreign parties together. This country needs strong leadership , honest and not tied to Lobbyists- this leaves out most of the top runners from both sides of the isle - so look deeper into the issues and you will find who is best for the job.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 AM

69,286 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmon View Post
I admit , in my long ago college days, I campaigned for George McGovern for President- he was anti-Vietnam War- He was correct ! Now we have the opportunity to bring back our young people out of war torn Iraq . The Republicans lost the right to govern the White House ! Who in their right mind would support a ,"War Machine Economy" ? We need a Healthy minded Leader that can graciously bring both Domestic and Foreign parties together. This country needs strong leadership , honest and not tied to Lobbyists- this leaves out most of the top runners from both sides of the isle - so look deeper into the issues and you will find who is best for the job.
The democrats quite possibly may win the election in November and who becomes our next President will depend on the voters as we all know, but to make a statement like "the Republicans lost the right to govern" is your opinion only. It isn't fact.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas