U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 10:35 PM

389 posts, read 950,060 times

Advertisements

Summer weather is fine. Don't be concerned. We moved from Texas in 2011 having moved there from Missouri. Compared to Texas and their horrible summers, fire ants, armadillos and wild hogs, Arkansas is a dream come true.

Nothing to worry about.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:30 AM

16,688 posts, read 39,312,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
Summer weather is fine. Don't be concerned. We moved from Texas in 2011 having moved there from Missouri. Compared to Texas and their horrible summers, fire ants, armadillos and wild hogs, Arkansas is a dream come true.

Nothing to worry about.
Armadillo's worried you? They are very timid and docile creatures. Harmless. Also in 38 years of living in Texas I have never yet encountered a wild hog.

Weather: I've been thinking of moving to Hot Springs from Austin, TX. The weather is one of the first things I checked. I was surprised and disappointed to find that while winters are about 10 degrees colder, summer highs (July-August), heat and humidity, are about the same as Austin. However, Arkansas does cool off quicker after the summer peak. These are from the City-Data data pages.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Hot-Springs-Arkansas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Hot Springs, AR................................................ ..............................Austin, TX

Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,614,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retireoptions View Post
Hello All,

My wife and I are from Southern California and we've have been exporing our retirement home location options. We are possibly interested in visiting Hot Springs in near future, but before we do, we thought we might ask some locals a question regarding summer climate comparisons.

We had spent some time visting parts of Texas last summer and we were absolutely MISERABLE die to the heat and especially the HUMIDITY. So are question before visiting is this...

Is Hot Springs approach anywhere near the humidity or heat index as Texas?

Thanks for your replies!
Yes.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:03 PM

I have to differ strongly with the views of some here. We moved from Springfield, Missouri with its regular ice storms and snowfalls to Palestine, Texas in 2001. For the first few years it was great to be away from that. However, the downfall is from five basic situations

1) The fire ants and "crazy ants."

2) The heat and humidity -- just awful.

3) Extended drouths made all the more worse by the worst soil on earth. It's either sugar sand or hard pan clay. The entire state requires aerobic septic systems because conventional lateral lines will not distribute the affluent.

4) The armadillos are a major pest and they will uproot flower beds and burrow under driveways etc.

5) But the very worst are the wild boars. They will destroy a person's lawn, their roads, driveways and one had better not hit one on the road as they will do major damage.

The only effective way is to use specialized traps. The armadillos can be dispatched in the morning and dropped into a hole and forgotten.

The hogs require a very large trap and the meat can be utilized by some who grind it up for sausage. But they are a major four legged pest and is so bad that I believe they can be hunted 365 days a year.

Having moved to Hot Springs in 2011 after the drought that burned down Texas I had had enough and threw in the towel. Was like moving to Heaven. I can recall being in Plano, Texas in August and the temperature was 118 degrees and the pavement temperature was 160 degrees.

Texas has much to go for it in many respects but be prepared for the heat and humidity, fire ants and wild hogs because you will certainly meet up with them sooner or later. Arkansas has virtually none of these problems. It does have the brown recluse spiders so would suggest a pest control company treat the home regularly. And use glue boards to provide evidence of their presence.

In the three years we have lived here, we have had a little snow and ice but nothing major and Hot Springs does not seem to be anywhere as dangerous on the roads as it is up in Little Rock, for example. It may be because of the mountains around the area that moderates the winters. And the lakes are great for those who are drawn to those things. If one gets around Lake Hamilton, be sure to have very deep pockets because that's where the high rollers build their $10 million dollar homes. Even a lesser home is going to get expensive. A little off the lake and the home prices are much more reasonable for those of us with modest means.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:39 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times
Feral hogs are a "let lay" in Arkansas. That means you are not required to utilize the meat as with deer and turkey.

I've never trapped hogs, but I have shot a lot of them (and armadillos), and they are fun. If you get one that charges you'll have no doubt you are alive. I'll eat the young ones, but they all take special handling. These pigs have never seen a syringe, and the Brucellosis rate runs over 30%. Freeze them for 48 hours, the cook them to at least 165 degrees. I usually just have everything ground up and make chili out of it.

There ya have it.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:24 PM

265 posts, read 270,293 times
We spent 8 years in Ft Worth before moving to Hot Springs. It gets hot here in the summer, but NOTHING like the heat in Texas.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnelson1 View Post
We spent 8 years in Ft Worth before moving to Hot Springs. It gets hot here in the summer, but NOTHING like the heat in Texas.
You have that right. Nothing like the heat in Texas. Spent 10 years there and it was like being in a sauna anytime I went out. 2011 was the final straw. Got to 118 degrees in Plano and the pavement was 160 degrees.

This is a piece of cake. No problems.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:05 AM

7 posts, read 5,735 times
RogMar,

I found a post by you back from 2009 about Winslow. Is this the same RogMar. Sorry to piggyback on this thread but was wondering if I could ask you some questions about living in Winslow? My email: cox.kandice@gmail.com

Thanks! I hope this is kosher.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,690,142 times
Been to Hot Springs, while beautiful, it is hot and humid. Not like Southern Cal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or