U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:26 AM

19 posts, read 24,174 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife and I are from Southern California and we've have been exporing our retirement home location options. We are possibly interested in visiting Hot Springs in near future, but before we do, we thought we might ask some locals a question regarding summer climate comparisons.

We had spent some time visting parts of Texas last summer and we were absolutely MISERABLE die to the heat and especially the HUMIDITY. So are question before visiting is this...

Is Hot Springs approach anywhere near the humidity or heat index as Texas?

Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:07 AM

4,749 posts, read 6,158,118 times
Hot and humid. Not sure how it compares to Texas, but I've been to Arkansas in the summer and it was HOT and sticky.

That being said, it's not as hot and humid as where I'm from, so it's tolerable to me, but I believe you would find it just like Texas.

Northwest Arkansas, while still hotter and more humid than California, would be less so than the Hot Springs area. Bella Vista is a beautiful "retirement" village in NWA you might want to consider. But visit it in the summer....no one can tell how miserable you would be but you.

There is a lady here who has lived all over the country....I think New Mexico, maybe California? and even Texas....she and her husband chose Bella Vista and she can tell you more about the acclimation process than I can. She'll probably be along shortly.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,176,088 times
If heat and humidity are a concern to you, wherever you consider you should visit around the first of
August.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:04 PM

265 posts, read 270,952 times
We moved to HSV about 2 years ago. While it does get hot here in the summer, it's nothing like the heat in Texas where we came from (Ft Worth area).

Old 02-10-2015, 05:13 PM

622 posts, read 895,707 times
The humidity is worse in Arkansas than over most of Texas.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:22 AM

124 posts, read 126,350 times
But the heat will be less than Texas. Also, higher elevation will generally be cooler temperature-wise and slightly less humid. Above suggestion to visit in August is excellent. Might also start to compare temps and humidity a week before your visit and a week after via an internet source to average with your actual visit. www.wunderground has great history (ie temps and humidity by mmddyy and the hour) if you want to compare (maybe compare the conditions when you were in Texas to the same date in Hot Springs).
Beware, it can be uncomfortable if temps are above 90 and the humidity is high.

Last edited by edmiii; 02-11-2015 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2015, 03:12 AM

52 posts, read 67,257 times
In august you can see.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:03 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,400,645 times
I also came from SoCal & was used to the dry climate there. When I went to AR in early June, it was lovely. But when my spouse & I returned that August, the humidity was more than we could handle. Hot Springs especially stood out in my mind. The other thing I remember were chiggers. But if you don't go in the woods, probably not a problem. So beautiful there, though.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 4,361,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
I also came from SoCal & was used to the dry climate there. When I went to AR in early June, it was lovely. But when my spouse & I returned that August, the humidity was more than we could handle. Hot Springs especially stood out in my mind. The other thing I remember were chiggers. But if you don't go in the woods, probably not a problem. So beautiful there, though.
They make these products with stuff called "DEET" in them.

No more chigger problems.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:36 AM

5,165 posts, read 2,400,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
They make these products with stuff called "DEET" in them.

No more chigger problems.
Don't like that stuff, especially mixed with sweat from all the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or