U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM

1,356 posts, read 5,324,961 times

Advertisements

I don't mean this to be an overtly political thread. I not really interested in the opinions of those outside of Arkansas so that I why I am posting it here. I hope that it won't get moved to the election thread...

I keep hearing conservative commentators say that Huckabee is not really a conservative. But hearing him talk in debates and on shows he sure sounds a lot like one to me.

What do conservatives in Arkansas think of him? Do they view him as truly conservative or pretty moderate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,516 times
I know someone who worked in Huckabee's office when he was Governor. He most definitely is a compassionate conservative. That compassion is usually what irritates the commentators. He is a very honorable person.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 PM

456 posts, read 1,425,736 times
hes as conservative as conservative gets! Hes a Baptist minister afterall..lol

Old 01-11-2008, 09:21 PM

564 posts, read 2,064,165 times
Usually Baptist minister and moderate don't go in the same sentence.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:22 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,599,851 times
Hes conservative on God, gays, and guns. He has made that the center of his platform. He is unelectable because he has no appeal to anybody who is not a fundamentalist Christian.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Hes conservative on God, gays, and guns. He has made that the center of his platform. He is unelectable because he has no appeal to anybody who is not a fundamentalist Christian.
I hope he will close the borders, And clean America of illegals.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM

45 posts, read 138,435 times
I am not a fundamentalist Christian and I still like Huckabee. I appreciate his view on taxes, immigration, and the situation overseas. His religious beliefs do not effect me, so I am not going to let them get in my way of voting. If I agreed with some of Mitt Romney's policies, and decided to vote for him, I would not let the fact that he is mormon get in my way of voting. I don't think that Bill Clinton was a bad president because he supposedly cheated on his wife. He might be immoral, but once again, it doesn't effect me, so I do not let it get in the way of my political views. (Not that I voted for Bill).

Niners Fan - I agree with you. It seems that the media wants us to believe Huckabee is more liberal than the other conservative candidates, but listening to him speak, he sounds like a more moderate conservative. I definately think his views on issues are more right wing than left wing, but I'm sure he is still open-minded....as any presidential candidate should be.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times
I'd say he's conservative enough. He seems a little more moderate than some, but not very much so.
In a state almost completely dominated by Democrats, any Republican would have to "play along" to a certain extent to get anything done. It's hard enough to get Arkansas Democrats to do anything, even when they're in full control. Growing up during the Clinton era, I remember Arkansas being dead last and worst in pretty much every category that a state would want to be first and best in. I know a lot of that is cultural, and goes back decades, but Clinton did nothing to improve it.
I saw a lot of improvements to the state of Arkansas under Huckabee. Obviously, the roads were much, MUCH better. Arkansas actually led most the nation in terms of internet technology... a rare moment indeed.
I'll admit I voted for him every chance that I had... if only because I thought he had a good shot at making that annoying brand of Arkansas Democrat actually do something with all those taxes they like to raise.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:58 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,258,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
He is unelectable because he has no appeal to anybody who is not a fundamentalist Christian.
Interestingly, I'm starting to see that he does have appeal to many who are not fundamentalist Christian.

I think him being painted a "liberal" by other candidates is just political "business as usual."

My gut tells me he may well be a true "compassionate" conservative, vs. others who have made the same claim.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:56 AM

29 posts, read 253,845 times
He wasn't progressive as governor, he shouldn't be experimenting with the Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or