U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 05:50 PM

54 posts, read 160,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain42 View Post
Buffalo River

Canon photo stitch of fog burning off in the morning sunrise. Buffalo Outdoor Center
Beautiful pictures!! They remind me of the many summers I spend "floating " the buffalo river with my family!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM

13 posts, read 29,705 times
If you have Facebook, check out "I Love Northwest Arkansas" and "Become a Fan"... It's a great resource for NWA info. & photos!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Oh, I love these! If you have Facebook, you should post them on "I love Northwest Arkansas" profile. More folks should get to see these! Love 'em!

Old 03-09-2010, 07:45 PM

I never got to see THIS view. I guess I'll have to come back... Thanks for sharing. Where was this taken? Buffalo River area?

Old 04-25-2010, 04:02 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,088,918 times
Default Pictures of Arkansas

We spent a wonderful weekend at the Mount Magazine State Park Lodge and I would like to share these with you. I don't know if the photo captions will down-load, so in case they don't, the "houses" on the side of the mountain are group cabins associated with the lodge, and the valley view is from our balcony after a thunderstorm. They have a great Web Site if you want to see more. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-balcony-furniture.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-each-room-has-balcony.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-our-balcony-after-rainstorm.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-main-ldge.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-resturant.jpg  

Pictures of Arkansas-associated-cabins.jpg  

Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
We spent a wonderful weekend at the Mount Magazine State Park Lodge and I would like to share these with you. I don't know if the photo captions will down-load, so in case they don't, the "houses" on the side of the mountain are group cabins associated with the lodge, and the valley view is from our balcony after a thunderstorm. They have a great Web Site if you want to see more. Enjoy

Those balconies are nice, Slim, but with my luck, I'd get balcony neighbors that want to constantly screech about how great it is in Duluth whilst their Linda Blair/exorcist kid runs around spewing pea soup on my rails.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Those balconies are nice, Slim, but with my luck, I'd get balcony neighbors that want to constantly screech about how great it is in Duluth whilst their Linda Blair/exorcist kid runs around spewing pea soup on my rails.
Hey! Don't even think that!! But I have had that happen to me in other places and it can really a weekend.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:44 PM

The Mena National Guard Artillery Batteries were mobilized in 1950 and sent to Korea. (They have also been to Iraq and other places since then) In the late 1960s (I think) they were reorganized into Infantry and one of the artillery guns (the same type they used in Korea) was taken to Queen Wilhelmina State Park as a memorial to the battery. Thirty or so years later they were redoing the park and wanted the gun removed. I tagged along with a National Guard crew who went up there with a tank retreaver and hauled the gun down to the Mena National Guard Armory where they had prepared a place to display it, again, as a memorial to the unit's Korea service. Photo #1 shows it at the park before removal, #2 as it is being loaded, and #3 at the armory after it had been repainted to look like one that they had in Korea.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-long-tom-1.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-long-tom-2.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-long-tom-3.jpg  

Old 04-30-2010, 10:12 AM

This is Charles "Rube" Rowton (deceased) standing by the original "Alta's Ankles" in Korea in spring of 1951. He was a cannoneer on the gun and gave it it's name. Rube was from Mena and Alta was a lovely young lady in Mena.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-rube.jpg  

Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 15,451 times
If necessary I will consider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or