U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-10-2013, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Ouachita Mtns of Arkansas
1,923 posts, read 2,555,473 times
Reputation: 3526

Advertisements

These photos are of the lodge at Queen Wilhelmina State Park near Mena, Arkansas. These were taken April 28, 2013. The campgrounds and a temporary visitor center are open. The only areas closed are around the lodge itself. Get on your bikes and ride!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-lodge-4-28-2013-004.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-lodge-4-28-2013-005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2013, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
734 posts, read 1,407,929 times
Reputation: 1286
Moved to the state at the beginning of this month, and since I love hiking and taking pictures, you'll probably be seeing me post quite a bit in this thread.

Right now, I just have a few pictures I took today around the Hobbs State Park area.


DSC04189 by bkern1989, on Flickr


DSC04194 by bkern1989, on Flickr


DSC04193 by bkern1989, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,107,577 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
These photos are of the lodge at Queen Wilhelmina State Park near Mena, Arkansas. These were taken April 28, 2013. The campgrounds and a temporary visitor center are open. The only areas closed are around the lodge itself. Get on your bikes and ride!!!
Thanks for the photos slingshot because I have not been up there since they started the re-build and wondered what it looked like. I spent my teenage years in Mena a very long time ago and knew every pig trail on Rich Mountain. In the early 1950s, long after I had left Mena, that whole mountain top went up for tax delinquent sale. I sent in the paper-work and money to buy the property but it was kicked back for some reason. I later found out that some local business men bought it which really me off but it turned out for the best for Mena because one of the men had political clout and was instrumental in getting the old hotel rebuilt (we called the old ruins "The Castle") and the property designated as a State Park. One never knows what's in the future.

Thanks again for the photos. If circumstances permitted, I would love to again live in Mena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2013, 12:37 AM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
734 posts, read 1,407,929 times
Reputation: 1286
Did a bunch of walking on some trails around town this past Monday, so I figured I'd share a few of my pictures.


DSC04285 by bkern1989, on Flickr


DSC04276 by bkern1989, on Flickr


DSC04268 by bkern1989, on Flickr


DSC04246 by bkern1989, on Flickr


DSC04219 by bkern1989, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Rocky Mountain Xplorer
956 posts, read 1,251,183 times
Reputation: 684
Arkansas is home to several trout fishing streams and rivers, but none matches the national recognition of the White River. Forbes magazine named Mountain Home, Arkansas, one of the top outdoors recreation cities in America because of its proximity to the White. Field & Stream placed the White River in its top five list of tailwater fishing spots as a result of the water's outstanding trout fishing.

Read more: The Best Trout Fishing River In Arkansas | LIVESTRONG.COM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Branson, Missouri
7,269 posts, read 16,876,421 times
Reputation: 3688
Loving these beautiful pictures and comments. This is where I want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,107,577 times
Reputation: 1863
This is in the northeast corner of Hempstead County. I have seen thicker Goldenrod patches but these were bright with the pine plantation background. Honeybees were very active on the blossoms and I took several exposures trying to catch some but as soon as they lit they burrowed into the blossom head; getting pollen I guess. Anyway, out of about a dozen exposures I finally got one and it is in the upper center of the close-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-img_0492.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-img_0496.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Table Rock Lake
971 posts, read 1,137,524 times
Reputation: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Thanks for the photos slingshot because I have not been up there since they started the re-build and wondered what it looked like. I spent my teenage years in Mena a very long time ago and knew every pig trail on Rich Mountain. In the early 1950s, long after I had left Mena, that whole mountain top went up for tax delinquent sale. I sent in the paper-work and money to buy the property but it was kicked back for some reason. I later found out that some local business men bought it which really me off but it turned out for the best for Mena because one of the men had political clout and was instrumental in getting the old hotel rebuilt (we called the old ruins "The Castle") and the property designated as a State Park. One never knows what's in the future.

Thanks again for the photos. If circumstances permitted, I would love to again live in Mena.
I was in Mena a couple of weeks on a genealogy trip before the tornado went through. I had Pryors and Cases there until My g-great grandfather moved to Kansas City in 1901. My Case family came back to Missouri shortly after the father George died. Although I spent most of my time in their library, I really enjoyed the friendly people in the resturants. No different than living at home it seemed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Little Rock AR USA
2,457 posts, read 6,107,577 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I was in Mena a couple of weeks on a genealogy trip before the tornado went through. I had Pryors and Cases there until My g-great grandfather moved to Kansas City in 1901. My Case family came back to Missouri shortly after the father George died. Although I spent most of my time in their library, I really enjoyed the friendly people in the resturants. No different than living at home it seemed.
Yep, lots of good people there, even slingshot It was so long ago I don't remember who or why, but I knew some Cases there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 04:20 PM
 
Location: The Natural State
1,146 posts, read 1,181,686 times
Reputation: 1051
These photos were taken 14 Oct, 1 Nov, and 5 Nov. I had planned to take another about 15 Nov after the sassafras turned completely gold, but the rain and wind ruined that. Anyway, I think these are kinda cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Pictures of Arkansas-img_0392.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-img_0537.jpg   Pictures of Arkansas-img_0539.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top