U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 07:35 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,548,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that

No worries. The older I get the more medical problems I accumulate. My wreck in 1012 didn't help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 4,244,749 times
Been trying to upload pics from my Ozark excursion this week. Hopefully it works this time. The pics don't even come close to doing the actual views justice, but they're incredibly special to me, regardless. Arkansas is amazing. I may have physically returned to Texas last night, but my soul remains in The Natural State.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Old 06-08-2016, 01:41 PM

574 posts, read 519,612 times
great pics!

the two sequential pics with an old hay rake in one and a cell tower in the next, got me to thinking of my history of trips to the buffalo river area. my first trip to the buffalo river was in a vw van in 1970 and that was the beginning of a beautiful tradition of floating the buff! (i might have been called a hippie at the time) this year, several weeks ago, i got a call on my cell while floating between pruitt and haisty. (i didn't take the call and i turned my phone off after that)

arkansas is a beautiful state and has been for a long time!

Old 06-08-2016, 02:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,158,118 times
Ahhh....I saw that sign for Ponca and Kingston...NOW you're in God's country!

Did y'all go on into Kingston? It's a neat, tiny little town, but last time I was there it actually had two good antique stores/flea markets.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
great pics!

the two sequential pics with an old hay rake in one and a cell tower in the next, got me to thinking of my history of trips to the buffalo river area. my first trip to the buffalo river was in a vw van in 1970 and that was the beginning of a beautiful tradition of floating the buff! (i might have been called a hippie at the time) this year, several weeks ago, i got a call on my cell while floating between pruitt and haisty. (i didn't take the call and i turned my phone off after that)

arkansas is a beautiful state and has been for a long time!
Doggone it, I KNEW that dang cell phone tower would ruin that picture! I was like "Maybe no one will notice".....yeah, right!

That pic is from the Wesley area east of Fayetteville. My wife and I love the stretch of 412 that comes out of Springdale headed east, so we took some of the roads that branch off to explore a bit, and we wound up down there right off the bat. Just amazing scenery.

Anyway.....those hillsides remind me of something out of the UK or Ireland. I'm getting a better camera and going back one day to get better shots of those - sans phone pole and cell tower!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Ahhh....I saw that sign for Ponca and Kingston...NOW you're in God's country!

Did y'all go on into Kingston? It's a neat, tiny little town, but last time I was there it actually had two good antique stores/flea markets.
No, we wound up in Jasper and then up in Harrison, before taking 62 back to Bentonville. Hadn't seen the stretch between Harrison and Eureka Springs before. Loved it. Harrison's a pretty good sized town from a glance. We stopped at Mystic Caverns but were limited to picking up souvenirs for the kids due to time constraints. That's something we wanted to wait and see with the kids anyway.

If the Lord ever blesses us to live up there we want to have a home somewhere along either 412 in the Spring Valley vicinity or along 62 between Eureka Springs and Rogers. We are just smitten with those 2 particular stretches of countryside.

We haven't seen Pea Ridge yet......but we did get to see Bella Vista. Beautiful spot!

Old 06-08-2016, 05:33 PM

A few more from this week...

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 06-08-2016 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Photo additions

Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,158,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Anyway.....those hillsides remind me of something out of the UK or Ireland.
I remember making that comment before, about Arkansas in the spring looking a bit like Ireland. Arkansas springs are just magical. Fall ain't so bad either! Even winter is nice, when you can see the shapes of all the mountains and all the boulders and such. High summer is the only "bad" time and even then a lot of the time (in the mountainous areas) it will cool off at night.

We were in Jasper this past spring. *sigh* I didn't get enough. Never do.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I remember making that comment before, about Arkansas in the spring looking a bit like Ireland. Arkansas springs are just magical. Fall ain't so bad either! Even winter is nice, when you can see the shapes of all the mountains and all the boulders and such. High summer is the only "bad" time and even then a lot of the time (in the mountainous areas) it will cool off at night.

We were in Jasper this past spring. *sigh* I didn't get enough. Never do.
Neither do we. We want to move there so badly. Still stinging from not being able to do so in March when our last lease was up. Lotta people will say "Living there aint the same as visiting there"...... but that doesn't phase me. I know it would be even better. See, for me Arkansas isn't just about a weekend getaway and then going home. The place calls to me. The sunlight is its own glorious shade of gold there. I have never seen the sun shine that way, and when the light touches the waters they sparkle like diamonds. A sense of peace envelops me that I have never experienced when I'm in Arkansas.......like I've reached some sort of long sought destination. My wife and I share visions of sitting on a porch watching our children play amongst those big meadows set in front of the lush and protective green hills. The dog we don't yet own, but which the children continually clamor for is there.....running and playing with them as we immerse ourselves in the fragrance of the grass and the trees. Suddenly, the commute to and from work is no longer a chore, but rather a gift as my eyes scan the countryside......knowing I don't have to go home this time........because I AM home.........finally.

It may prove to be a fantastic fantasy, or it may actually come to fruition one day.......but that is how I feel. I recently lost a dear cousin to cancer. She was only 44.....3 years younger than I. So young......as I am still young, even though much of the world tells me I'm not anymore just because I'm not 22 and acting a fool. Life is precious.......too precious not to dream......and entirely too precious to not act on those dreams......no matter how young or old we may be.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:13 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,108,134 times
Tyryztoll, beautiful pictures! You were right by me in Jasper. I'm about 10 miles south of the town of Jasper off of Hwy 7. So glad you got to visit Ponca. The elk aren't out during the day right now because it's too warm for them but they are a sight to see. In the winter, they were out all day long. It's such a beautiful state. When we were planning to move here, we always got questioned as to why on earth would we move to Arkansas? So many people don't know how beautiful it is. It's a very underrated state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or