U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-09-2016, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,792 posts, read 1,105,066 times
Reputation: 3565

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Neither do we. We want to move there so badly. Still stinging from not being able to do so in March when our last lease was up. Lotta people will say "Living there aint the same as visiting there"...... but that doesn't phase me. I know it would be even better. See, for me Arkansas isn't just about a weekend getaway and then going home. The place calls to me. The sunlight is its own glorious shade of gold there. I have never seen the sun shine that way, and when the light touches the waters they sparkle like diamonds. A sense of peace envelops me that I have never experienced when I'm in Arkansas.......like I've reached some sort of long sought destination. My wife and I share visions of sitting on a porch watching our children play amongst those big meadows set in front of the lush and protective green hills. The dog we don't yet own, but which the children continually clamor for is there.....running and playing with them as we immerse ourselves in the fragrance of the grass and the trees. Suddenly, the commute to and from work is no longer a chore, but rather a gift as my eyes scan the countryside......knowing I don't have to go home this time........because I AM home.........finally.

It may prove to be a fantastic fantasy, or it may actually come to fruition one day.......but that is how I feel. I recently lost a dear cousin to cancer. She was only 44.....3 years younger than I. So young......as I am still young, even though much of the world tells me I'm not anymore just because I'm not 22 and acting a fool. Life is precious.......too precious not to dream......and entirely too precious to not act on those dreams......no matter how young or old we may be.
Reading this reminded me of ourselves before our move last year from south Louisiana. I know exactly what you're talking about. I daydreamed about living here, in the peace of the hills, mountains, silence, etc. We are here now and it's amazing each and every day. I look out my front window, and I see a hillside with Ozarks in the distance as far as the eye can see. The commute to get to "towns" is 40 minutes to a Wal Mart but it doesn't bother me a bit. The drive is beautiful. When I pull out onto Hwy 7, it still looks as beautiful as it did the first time I saw it. I love going into Jasper (10 miles from home), eating at the Ozark cafe. The town is so quaint and charming. The people here are the nicest people I've ever met. Everyone has been so welcoming and they remember my name, which is so unusual. I still sometimes like to venture off my regular highways to explore other areas. Last week, my youngest son (17) and I went east on 74 from Jasper, to hwy 123, then cut back to hwy 7 on 374. It was beautiful. So much farmland with big farmhouses up on the hills.

If you are able to make the move one day, you won't regret it. We haven't looked back. Is there a specific area you'd like to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2016, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,684 posts, read 4,240,347 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
If you are able to make the move one day, you won't regret it. We haven't looked back. Is there a specific area you'd like to live in?
We'd be grateful to live anywhere in the Ozarks or Ouachita's, Holly, but since I'm still at the apex of my career we'd need to be close to where the pay is highest, and my research and experience indicates that's NWA along the 49 corridor. Little Rock would still be a possibility, but we really prefer either Hot Springs or NWA, and Hot Springs isn't likely because that area is notorious for low wages, even in healthcare. NWA, therefore, is by far our top contender, and has been pretty much from the outset. We also like NWA because we'd have more of a winter, also.....which we sort of miss. See post #486 in this thread for the spots we've honed in on up there for potential living quarters down the road.

It's actually amazing to me how close we came to being up there already. If you read some of my threads from earlier this year, we were a decent benefits package away from accepting a job in NWA. I often wonder what it would have been like had we taken a leap of faith and done it, but still feel the Lord was having us wait for a very good reason.

No matter.....this year is already flying by, and then we'll rev up for another shot at The Natural State in 2017. In the meantime we've already been several times this year and have several more trips already planned. That'll tide us over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 01:12 PM
 
Location: The Natural State
1,140 posts, read 1,173,706 times
Reputation: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Neither do we. We want to move there so badly. Still stinging from not being able to do so in March when our last lease was up. Lotta people will say "Living there aint the same as visiting there"...... but that doesn't phase me. I know it would be even better. See, for me Arkansas isn't just about a weekend getaway and then going home. The place calls to me. The sunlight is its own glorious shade of gold there. I have never seen the sun shine that way, and when the light touches the waters they sparkle like diamonds. A sense of peace envelops me that I have never experienced when I'm in Arkansas.......like I've reached some sort of long sought destination. My wife and I share visions of sitting on a porch watching our children play amongst those big meadows set in front of the lush and protective green hills. The dog we don't yet own, but which the children continually clamor for is there.....running and playing with them as we immerse ourselves in the fragrance of the grass and the trees. Suddenly, the commute to and from work is no longer a chore, but rather a gift as my eyes scan the countryside......knowing I don't have to go home this time........because I AM home.........finally.

It may prove to be a fantastic fantasy, or it may actually come to fruition one day.......but that is how I feel. I recently lost a dear cousin to cancer. She was only 44.....3 years younger than I. So young......as I am still young, even though much of the world tells me I'm not anymore just because I'm not 22 and acting a fool. Life is precious.......too precious not to dream......and entirely too precious to not act on those dreams......no matter how young or old we may be.

1. You don't need a better camera. If your photos were any better I couldn't stand it 2. "fragrance" - the most wonderful aroma in the world is fresh cut alfalfa hay. It is, to me, intoxicating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,792 posts, read 1,105,066 times
Reputation: 3565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
We'd be grateful to live anywhere in the Ozarks or Ouachita's, Holly, but since I'm still at the apex of my career we'd need to be close to where the pay is highest, and my research and experience indicates that's NWA along the 49 corridor. Little Rock would still be a possibility, but we really prefer either Hot Springs or NWA, and Hot Springs isn't likely because that area is notorious for low wages, even in healthcare. NWA, therefore, is by far our top contender, and has been pretty much from the outset. We also like NWA because we'd have more of a winter, also.....which we sort of miss. See post #486 in this thread for the spots we've honed in on up there for potential living quarters down the road.

It's actually amazing to me how close we came to being up there already. If you read some of my threads from earlier this year, we were a decent benefits package away from accepting a job in NWA. I often wonder what it would have been like had we taken a leap of faith and done it, but still feel the Lord was having us wait for a very good reason.

No matter.....this year is already flying by, and then we'll rev up for another shot at The Natural State in 2017. In the meantime we've already been several times this year and have several more trips already planned. That'll tide us over.
My son just moved to Bentonville for a job in the IT field and it's really nice there. The drive to get from Jasper to Bentonville is really beautiful. We head to Ponca, then Kingston, then take hwy 412 westward. The rolling hills and farmland never gets old. I will check out the Ouchita mountains soon, maybe this fall. I hear how beautiful it is there too, but it's hard to imagine anything more beautiful than the Ozarks in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,684 posts, read 4,240,347 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
1. You don't need a better camera. If your photos were any better I couldn't stand it 2. "fragrance" - the most wonderful aroma in the world is fresh cut alfalfa hay. It is, to me, intoxicating
Well thank you so much, Old Fossil....that is a great compliment coming from a Natural State aficionado such as yourself. I do agree the pics aren't half bad for using an i phone 5C, but oh what I could do with a true photographers camera in Arkansas! Definitely something to look forward to in the future.

When I was driving AR 16 between St. Paul and Deer on Tuesday they were mowing the sides of the road for a long stretch. The smell of the cut grass was simply divine, and only served to euphorically enhance the whole experience.

Oh, how I wish I were still there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,684 posts, read 4,240,347 times
Reputation: 3360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
My son just moved to Bentonville for a job in the IT field and it's really nice there. The drive to get from Jasper to Bentonville is really beautiful. We head to Ponca, then Kingston, then take hwy 412 westward. The rolling hills and farmland never gets old. I will check out the Ouchita mountains soon, maybe this fall. I hear how beautiful it is there too, but it's hard to imagine anything more beautiful than the Ozarks in the fall.
We haven't driven 412 between Harrison and Huntsville yet, but the 412 drive between Huntsville and Springdale is one of our absolute favorites. Every time we go through there we fantasize about having a house somewhere along that stretch. Same with 62 between Eureka Springs and the Rogers outskirts. Both of those areas would be doable to commute to the 49 corridor for work.......and yes, I would definitely be willing to commute a bit to live somewhere amongst one of those vicinities.

Since you mentioned the Ouachita's, Holly, I thought i'd throw in a few pics of those from our other excursions over the past few months....






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, Isanti County, MN
2,684 posts, read 4,240,347 times
Reputation: 3360
And a few more of the amazing Ouachita's....(plus of of the newer Razorbacks fans - Woo Pig!)






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,792 posts, read 1,105,066 times
Reputation: 3565
Wow, thanks for sharing those pics of the Ouchitas. Looks so beautiful, this state has so much to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 10:48 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 6,150,756 times
Reputation: 6711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Last week, my youngest son (17) and I went east on 74 from Jasper, to hwy 123, then cut back to hwy 7 on 374. It was beautiful. So much farmland with big farmhouses up on the hills.
Oh my goodness, yes, the Vendor Valley, Mount Judea area is some kind of beautiful.

Holly, you mentioned once that you bought a place with a rental cabin...did you happen to buy the "RCR" place? (not sure if we're allowed to mention specific rentals) I noticed a while back that it was for sale. I wanted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 05:53 AM
 
Location: Ozark Mountains Arkansas
1,792 posts, read 1,105,066 times
Reputation: 3565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Oh my goodness, yes, the Vendor Valley, Mount Judea area is some kind of beautiful.

Holly, you mentioned once that you bought a place with a rental cabin...did you happen to buy the "RCR" place? (not sure if we're allowed to mention specific rentals) I noticed a while back that it was for sale. I wanted it.
Yes, that's the place we bought! We werent' looking to buy a place with a rental but that property met all of our wants and had the rental so we figured why not rent it. We are for now, not sure how long we will into the future, may just use it as a guest house. But yes, that's the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top