Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM

990 posts, read 3,185,619 times

Advertisements

I have received a job offer in Mountain View, Arkansas. I am wondering if anybody has any background on this location. I am a single male, and I will have to rent. I have a concern that there are little to no rentals in the area, and that I might have to live out in a cabin or something.

Would you call this part of the Ozarks "safe", and do you think that I would stand out with my Chicago accent? Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 03:09 PM

165 posts, read 548,290 times
The Ozarks are certainly safe, and, while there aren't a lot of rentals (like apartments) I'm sure there are houses for rent, and they're likely to be cheap. Mountain View is gorgeous, and the Folk Center is cool.

You didn't say how old you are, but if you're a single guy, there isn't much of a social scene. Lots of older people, very rural.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:36 PM

119 posts, read 243,818 times
Yes you will stick out. Everyone will know you arent from there, not just because of your accent but because everyone knows everyone in Mountain View.

But you will be welcomed with open arms into the community as long as you aren't rude

Old 04-09-2015, 08:44 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Sounds like an adventure. I'd go for the cabin. Bring some Thoreau.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:38 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
I have a concern..... that I might have to live out in a cabin or something.
Concern? CONCERN?? That's a dream for some of us!

Quote:
Would you call this part of the Ozarks "safe"
As safe as it gets.

Quote:
do you think that I would stand out with my Chicago accent?
Yep. But just keep an open mind, be thoughtful and polite, and people will take you in and adopt you and feed you. LOL (Hey, this is the South....you'll find out what I mean soon enough!)

Old 04-09-2015, 10:45 AM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjrush View Post
Yes you will stick out. Everyone will know you arent from there, not just because of your accent but because everyone knows everyone in Mountain View.

But you will be welcomed with open arms into the community as long as you aren't rude

He may be welcomed/accepted but I know of no town that ........."welcomes people with open arms "

Definitely an over used /wrongly used cliché

Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,556 times
Quote:
I have received a job offer in Mountain View, Arkansas. I am wondering if anybody has any background on this location. I am a single male, and I will have to rent. I have a concern that there are little to no rentals in the area, and that I might have to live out in a cabin or something.

Would you call this part of the Ozarks "safe", and do you think that I would stand out with my Chicago accent? Thank You.
My grandparents live there... it's tiny, but it's certainly safe. As for standing out... Eh, don't worry about it and be nice to people and I'm sure it will be fine.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:

My two best friends grew up there. I visited them there, back in 2005. I am a White guy, they were Indian (India) guys. They had a lot of trouble not being White guys, but after cracking some heads, were left alone. I found the town to be a sleepy feeling "good 'ol boy" type area. I'd call it generally safe, although I did hear about some random small-town type crime (petty theft, burglary, etc.)

My impression of it was that it's a beautiful place to live, but far too "small town" for my taste.

YMMV, and I strongly suggest visiting before moving/committing

Old 04-10-2015, 11:04 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
He may be welcomed/accepted but I know of no town that ........."welcomes people with open arms "

Definitely an over used /wrongly used cliché
It may take a little time, but isn't that the way it is anywhere?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:09 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
You'd be right next door to the Ozark National Forest's Blanchard Springs Cavern area, as well as to the White River. If you're into outdoor activities like hiking, caving, camping, fishing, etc., this beautiful area might suit you well. Ditto if you enjoy traditional old-time music, a big part of life in Mountain View and a huge feature at the adjacent Ozark Folk Center State Park. There are also lots of antique and craft shops in Mountain View - it's a popular place for tourists.

If you're a big city boy, this area is likely to be very different from what you are accustomed to. However - my own Arkansas extended family certainly welcomed another Chicago guy about 45 years ago. My aunt nicknamed him "Son, Too", and he still attends our family reunions. Great guy, even with his Chicago accent (he acquired an Arkansas accent which he can use at will). So you, too, might just find a foster family in Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas