U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,796,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
In rural Arkansas they would probably say-"whatsa Bhuddist?" "Canya eat it?" "Go Hogs!"
coming from a town with a population of about 45 (me)..thats a good assumption!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 AM

90 posts, read 316,915 times
Default Ignorance

Hey, I am a 38 year old non-religious cuban male with tanned skin and curly hair. I have lived in NW Arkansas for 2 years and I have travelled alot of the state. I wont say there is more or less racism here than other places. But I will say this, most of those people are up in the hills or in the smaller towns. Its called ignorance for a reason. They havent been around different races or people and dont know any better. Alot of it is also the older generations. Alot of the younger people have more experience with differences and have learned tolerance. I have not been called any hateful names or have I been treated in a hateful manner since I have been here. I do get some looks but mostly out of curiosity. I understand that most hispanics around here arent 6'4 310 lbs and that also might be the reason I havent been mistreated. But I would trade the small amounts of ignorance to different cultures here with the large amounts of total ignorance back in Florida anyday.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:40 AM

395 posts, read 1,229,537 times
Well...The area where I grew up was NW Arkansas...Springdale/Fayetteville.
So I cannot speak for the whole state. That said people are usually just happy that you have a religion at all.There are some peopl who will come around but they aren't mean just dumb...so it is easy to ignore the haters

Old 01-20-2008, 08:00 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Um, it actually depends upon where you're located in AR. I've had the misfortunte to be in some very intolerant cities/towns. I used to see people running around in white sheets for the KKK rallies/demonstrations being held at the town courthouse (they weren't all from out-of-town), and we actually did have a number of burning crosses set on people's lawns (non-KKK related and set by adults, not juvenile delinquents).
People do allot of things, and then try to blame the Knights for it.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:27 AM

564 posts, read 2,064,468 times
Well, #1, we aren't the giant walking stereotypes that everyone thinks we are.

Okay, quite a few of us are. But as a community, anywhere, most people aren't going to run you out of town for being a different religion.

Even if you find a rural area, it'll be more of "HEY, WHAT KINDA FUNNY BUSINESS IS THAT, YOU EVER MET JESUS?" but it more than likely won't go further than that.

Edit:

And oh yeah, why in the world are we creating these "Is Arkansas racist/Is Arkansas Intolerant" threads every five seconds? Can we use the search function from now on? The more people create these extra threads, the more stereotypes are stirred up. More people are going to see "are we stuck in 1940?" questions rather than commentary on the beauty and growth of our state on the first page when they visit. Just quit with the stereotypes and come visit and see for yourself. Everyone will have different experiences and opinions and the only way to know for sure is to visit yourself. Trust me, I figured that out for myself.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:21 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,903,124 times
undertheironsea-------posts like yours tell me you want only good things said about your area .

When people take that attitude, it causes one to believe they are hiding something.

yes, one can do their own research on an area (doubt a chamber of commerce is going to mention any "flaws"
yes, one can visit an area in person to find out. However, many people want info on an area they are considering moving to. It might be one of several places they are considering, and would like to narrow the list before spending the $$$ to make a trip.

The attitude of -------"don't say nothing bad cuz you'll make us look bad"----sounds like vanity.

The best is to let people speak what their experiences are. If someone is nothing but a "habitual basher" ----people reading are smart enough to catch that and balance it against poitive posts that contradict him.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:20 PM

564 posts, read 2,064,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
undertheironsea-------posts like yours tell me you want only good things said about your area .

When people take that attitude, it causes one to believe they are hiding something.

yes, one can do their own research on an area (doubt a chamber of commerce is going to mention any "flaws"
yes, one can visit an area in person to find out. However, many people want info on an area they are considering moving to. It might be one of several places they are considering, and would like to narrow the list before spending the $$$ to make a trip.

The attitude of -------"don't say nothing bad cuz you'll make us look bad"----sounds like vanity.

The best is to let people speak what their experiences are. If someone is nothing but a "habitual basher" ----people reading are smart enough to catch that and balance it against poitive posts that contradict him.

Like I said, it's called using the Search function.

There are several threads already dedicated to this. In fact, one of them has more than 10 pages. If that doesn't give information on the various parts of this state and race/religion relations, nothing will.

I'm not saying don't ask, I'm saying look up the 9 billion threads dedicated to it already. What I meant was we don't need every other thread to have something asking about our tolerance level when there are several already dedicated to it.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,110 posts, read 7,353,623 times
you'll notice that in alot of these posts the OP never comes back to reply. If you look at several States sites there is a pattern where this happens.. Same OP's asking about Racism, Tollerance, Gays, etc. etc.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
People looking to relocate are also asking the same question in other state forums if they are undecided as to where they are headed. Still "come visit" is about all that can be said. Everyone's experience will be different based on what they are looking for. And I don't agree that some people are able to see bashers and trolls. Sometimes it is very subtle. One thing is to look and see if the poster has been around for a while based on their numbers. That's not always true, but if it's the first post and it's "what about race relations" sometimes it's a clue.

All that being said, I don't know that anyone has absolutely every good thing to say about Arkansas. If anything, we are keenly aware of what we perceive our shortcomings to be...but if you love your state it's only natural to tout the good....and I think more state pride is just what Arkansas needs. I don't know that we will ever outgrow the stereotypes, the only thing we can do is answer to the best of our knowledge. If someone asks a question and never bothers to check back in for more than the first answer, well...there's your sign that either it wasn't good enough, it was too good to be true, they picked somewhere else for reasons only they know, or....they never really wanted to know in the first place.

To future posters, I would suggest, as does the Terms of Service, be very specific in what you are looking for so that your questions aren't misconstrued and the answers thus "wrong". Still, I've never seen a forum yet that the same topics weren't discussed over and over and over. All we can do is the best we can do.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
People looking to relocate are also asking the same question in other state forums if they are undecided as to where they are headed. Still "come visit" is about all that can be said. Everyone's experience will be different based on what they are looking for. And I don't agree that some people are able to see bashers and trolls. Sometimes it is very subtle. One thing is to look and see if the poster has been around for a while based on their numbers. That's not always true, but if it's the first post and it's "what about race relations" sometimes it's a clue.

All that being said, I don't know that anyone has absolutely every good thing to say about Arkansas. If anything, we are keenly aware of what we perceive our shortcomings to be...but if you love your state it's only natural to tout the good....and I think more state pride is just what Arkansas needs. I don't know that we will ever outgrow the stereotypes, the only thing we can do is answer to the best of our knowledge. If someone asks a question and never bothers to check back in for more than the first answer, well...there's your sign that either it wasn't good enough, it was too good to be true, they picked somewhere else for reasons only they know, or....they never really wanted to know in the first place.

To future posters, I would suggest, as does the Terms of Service, be very specific in what you are looking for so that your questions aren't misconstrued and the answers thus "wrong". Still, I've never seen a forum yet that the same topics weren't discussed over and over and over. All we can do is the best we can do.
shortcomings, That's all a matter of opinion. What one may call a shortcoming is just a way of life. and some shortcomings are just fine the way they are. It depends what shortcomings someone is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or