U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 AM
col col started this thread

131 posts, read 612,676 times

Advertisements

IS there tolerance for other religions other that the major Religions in arkansas tolerance for say judaism (jewish) or buddist? WHat if you're more spiritual than religious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:00 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,857,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by col View Post
IS there tolerance for other religions other that the major Religions in arkansas tolerance for say judaism (jewish) or buddist? WHat if you're more spiritual than religious?

There have been no lynchings, runnings out of town, or church burnings in Arkansas during my lifetime that I'm aware of. Most people could care less what religion a person might practice or don't practice. The bible thumpers might try to convert buddhists or hindus but they'll leave jews alone because most of them feel the jewish to be an integral part of the end times prophecy and thus they are both working towards very similar goals. All anyone would have to say is, "leave me alone," and they'll go on their merry way. I used to be one of those people going out to "spread the word" (a long time ago in a life far away ) and we never harassed anyone for not wanting to convert on the spot.

Come on, this is 21st century America! The idiots have been pushed to the margins everywhere. They still exist, but they still exist EVERYWHERE! I encountered more racism and more intolerance in Maryland than I've ever seen here in Arkansas. In fact, the only religious intolerance in Arkansas that I can think of off hand is the painting of pentagrams on christian churches by some teen age idiots. That usually seems to happen every few years here and there.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:09 AM

308 posts, read 1,443,907 times
Um, it actually depends upon where you're located in AR. I've had the misfortunte to be in some very intolerant cities/towns. I used to see people running around in white sheets for the KKK rallies/demonstrations being held at the town courthouse (they weren't all from out-of-town), and we actually did have a number of burning crosses set on people's lawns (non-KKK related and set by adults, not juvenile delinquents).

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Um, it actually depends upon where you're located in AR. I've had the misfortunte to be in some very intolerant cities/towns. I used to see people running around in white sheets for the KKK rallies/demonstrations being held at the town courthouse (they weren't all from out-of-town), and we actually did have a number of burning crosses set on people's lawns (non-KKK related and set by adults, not juvenile delinquents).

I grew up near Harrison...about 10 miles from Tom Robb's house (you know..the grand dragon) NEVER saw them EVER!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 AM

308 posts, read 1,443,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I grew up near Harrison...about 10 miles from Tom Robb's house (you know..the grand dragon) NEVER saw them EVER!
That's great for Harrison--They were probably all down in my lovely ole' town.

On a more serious note, as is likely with most states, there are going to be cities that are more/less tolerant. You cannot really describe the entire state as a safe-haven for those a bit more diverse than the typical ole' white guy. You could see people flying their confederate flags and getting into ... I'll just say "heated arguments" to be nice with individuals of the non-preferred race, religion, gender, etc., in several places I spent time in. This was on a daily basis. However, there are other places within the state that are considerably more tolerant for those different than themselves. Oh, wait. That doesn't necessarily count either because there are unfortunately people in the "better" places as well making life hell for others. Usually not to such an extreme degree, but if you think everyone & everything is peachy keen except for the occasional rambunctious teen, then you've got your head stuck in the ground or you stumbled upon a mecca. So, enjoy it while realizing that not everyone's experience is the same.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
That's great for Harrison--They were probably all down in my lovely ole' town.

On a more serious note, as is likely with most states, there are going to be cities that are more/less tolerant. You cannot really describe the entire state as a safe-haven for those a bit more diverse than the typical ole' white guy. You could see people flying their confederate flags and getting into ... I'll just say "heated arguments" to be nice with individuals of the non-preferred race, religion, gender, etc., in several places I spent time in. This was on a daily basis. However, there are other places within the state that are considerably more tolerant for those different than themselves. Oh, wait. That doesn't necessarily count either because there are unfortunately people in the "better" places as well making life hell for others. Usually not to such an extreme degree, but if you think everyone & everything is peachy keen except for the occasional rambunctious teen, then you've got your head stuck in the ground or you stumbled upon a mecca. So, enjoy it while realizing that not everyone's experience is the same.
I hate to think that I was trying to describe Arkansas as a mecca for tolerance. I did say there were idiots here but they are everywhere. As an aggregate whole it's not wildy less tolerant than most of the rest the US. As I said, I experienced more overt racism and intolerance in the supposedly educated east that I've ever seen here. In the past few years, the Baltimore-DC area saw several churches burned and several others, a jewish synagogue included, defaced with racial and anti-semitic symols. I saw muslim kids in a park be called "animals" by a white guy. That's my experiences in a place that likes to think of itself as diverse and tolerant. Honestly, I've never seen or experienced the like of that here in Arkansas. Perhaps you're a bit older than me and have had occassion to see more. All I can do is comment on my experiences. And, while not perfect, I find Arkansas to be a good deal more civil than the east coast.

And yes, this a sore topic for me because I've seen a bigot or two right here on CD spouting garbage solely to deter individuals from moving here. I do my best to give an honest appraisal of the current situation but I will err of the side of encouragement because we DO need to put our best foot forward and move beyond our poor image. I find it to be highly outdated.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,546,664 times
I find the more urbanized areas of Arkansas to be the most accepting of diversity. In Little Rock, for example, there's one synagogue, one Reform temple, a Unitarian Universalist church, and the Buddhist Ecumenical Society, along with many other groups and organizations. Fayetteville is also fairly diverse in this sense.

Of course, as with most other states, the rural areas and suburbs are less diverse in terms of faith. But I've never known anywhere outside of portions of North Central Arkansas to be less than tolerant.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,906,069 times
Paramour, I'm going to call you and raise you on this one - where is it you are at so that we might all be acquainted with this bastion of inequality and racism?

Sorry - I have lived in this state and Mississippi for 50 years and have yet to see a white sheet anywhere. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just need to know where so I can keep my molly-tail out of that town/city/county.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:58 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,970,893 times
In rural Arkansas they would probably say-"whatsa Bhuddist?" "Canya eat it?" "Go Hogs!"

Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
In rural Arkansas they would probably say-"whatsa Bhuddist?" "Canya eat it?" "Go Hogs!"
LMAO Dan!!! Good one! Thanks for the humor injection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or