U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 11:05 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,364,834 times

Advertisements

Arkansas: The only state to require a coding education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 11:54 AM

10,562 posts, read 11,657,101 times
Great to hear!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:02 AM

3,972 posts, read 3,861,820 times
I learned BASIC during my junior year of high school and then Pascal during my senior year. My high school was near the bottom performers in AR back then (1980's) and still is now.

Rather than go to Fayetteville to get a degree in the IT field, I chose Arkansas-Monticello. Even though they didn't have the Arkansas programmer competition, the professor that leads the UAM team to victory year after year was my professor as well.

2015 1st & 2nd place - UAM Takes Top Two Places At 2015 Arkansas Collegiate Programming - MyArkLaMiss.com - KTVE NBC 10 - KARD FOX 14 - Your homepage for the latest News, Weather and Sports in the ArkLaMiss!
2014 1st & 3rd place - UAM student programmers finish 1st, 3rd at contest | Seark Today
2012 1st and 2nd place - UAM students take top two spots at Ark. Programming Competition - My Monticello News: Local News

There are already a lot of talented programmers in the state but this will only help.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 PM

82 posts, read 71,495 times
The latest NAEP results for 12th grade math show 18% at or above proficiency in AR. Hard to imagine much success teaching programming when basic HS math isn't getting through, but I hope this program proves me wrong. Maybe more hands-on coding content will be a good motivator for students.

Pretty cool stuff about UAM.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 AM

3,972 posts, read 3,861,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
The latest NAEP results for 12th grade math show 18% at or above proficiency in AR. Hard to imagine much success teaching programming when basic HS math isn't getting through, but I hope this program proves me wrong. Maybe more hands-on coding content will be a good motivator for students.

Unless you are doing math inside the program, it's not used much in coding. It's more about logic. For example, my wife took the basic math classes she had to at UAM to get her English degree with a business minor. A few years ago the company that she worked for had an opening in their small IT shop and she ended up getting the position with no background in IT. She came home after writing her first web form that interfaced with a back-end database and was more excited than I have ever seen her. She told me if she knew how much fun coding was she would have majored in it.

In the 90's if you changed insurance from Arkansas Blue Cross to somewhere else or you changed plans, you received a HIPPA notice. That's my code. If you had a prescription drug card through BCBS, my code would interface with the company that validated the card at the pharmacy. The math involved was near zero. I had to count to 12 because that was the max number of dependents allowed by the pharmacy validation system. My program crashed one day when a family added their 13th dependent. I don't remember the name but I can guess that they still live in NW Arkansas and are a little more famous now....Before I left, both systems had been updated to handle 99 dependents.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:

My or my, someone from ID butting into what is being taught in our state. Along with this program our currant Governor expects every child to have a computer at their disposal from a very early age on. Don't you think this will help those figures you think are important to quote and what do you know about our state? We do have a region in AR that has many problems thus it doesn't help the overall scoring in the state, but we also have some outstanding schools and some very advanced kids. Geeze!!!!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 PM

82 posts, read 71,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Unless you are doing math inside the program, it's not used much in coding. It's more about logic. For example, my wife took the basic math classes she had to at UAM to get her English degree with a business minor. A few years ago the company that she worked for had an opening in their small IT shop and she ended up getting the position with no background in IT. She came home after writing her first web form that interfaced with a back-end database and was more excited than I have ever seen her. She told me if she knew how much fun coding was she would have majored in it.

In the 90's if you changed insurance from Arkansas Blue Cross to somewhere else or you changed plans, you received a HIPPA notice. That's my code. If you had a prescription drug card through BCBS, my code would interface with the company that validated the card at the pharmacy. The math involved was near zero. I had to count to 12 because that was the max number of dependents allowed by the pharmacy validation system. My program crashed one day when a family added their 13th dependent. I don't remember the name but I can guess that they still live in NW Arkansas and are a little more famous now....Before I left, both systems had been updated to handle 99 dependents.
I think there is a pretty strong overlap between logical problem solving in programming and mathematics. There is some support for this idea: Mathematics and programming Just in my own experience, I have found the logical training from my HS/college math classes invaluable for understanding algorithms and writing good code.

Definitely agree that seeing practical applications can be a useful motivator. That may be what they are going for with this program. Nice story
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My or my, someone from ID butting into what is being taught in our state. Along with this program our currant Governor expects every child to have a computer at their disposal from a very early age on. Don't you think this will help those figures you think are important to quote and what do you know about our state? We do have a region in AR that has many problems thus it doesn't help the overall scoring in the state, but we also have some outstanding schools and some very advanced kids. Geeze!!!!
I wasn't criticizing Arkansas in particular. K-12 achievement is a problem for the whole country. I saw this on the main forum page and wanted to comment. Not sure why you are so defensive.

Tech in education is trendy (and expensive) but I guess I'm just old school. Doesn't seem like computers in the classroom will do much to correct the negative social and environmental factors driving poor educational performance in the core subjects, which was my original point. Regardless, the outcomes from this program will be interesting to watch.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:37 AM

69,382 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
I think there is a pretty strong overlap between logical problem solving in programming and mathematics. There is some support for this idea: Mathematics and programming Just in my own experience, I have found the logical training from my HS/college math classes invaluable for understanding algorithms and writing good code.

Definitely agree that seeing practical applications can be a useful motivator. That may be what they are going for with this program. Nice story

I wasn't criticizing Arkansas in particular. K-12 achievement is a problem for the whole country. I saw this on the main forum page and wanted to comment. Not sure why you are so defensive.

Tech in education is trendy (and expensive) but I guess I'm just old school. Doesn't seem like computers in the classroom will do much to correct the negative social and environmental factors driving poor educational performance in the core subjects, which was my original point. Regardless, the outcomes from this program will be interesting to watch.
Why am I so defensive? Well, not defensive as much as pointing out this is supposed to be a positive thing for our state. Reading a bunch of figrues and stats is a very simplified way to judge anything. Computers are the wave of the present and future. If you are in education you certainly know this. The time isn't so far away when most of jobs will require computer training. In fact most do now: eventually machines will replace people in almost every field. The people who will be have jobs will have the top computer skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or