U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:56 AM

365 posts, read 891,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
Thanks Jim, will probably take on your suggested route. We're looking for exactly what you describe, which as I'm sure you will know is very different to what we discovered in the Ozarks of MO & AR. Intend to travel back up to LR after Magnolia, do you know anything about an old Confederate cemetery situated in Camden?
I don't know of any Confederate cemetery in Camden but near there is Poison Springs State Park which is a civil war battlefield. There are large Confederate cemeteries in Helena (very scenic, overlooks the Mississippi river) and Little Rock. This website lists the civil war sites in Arkansas if it will help.

Civil War Sites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 08:03 AM

10,521 posts, read 11,632,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
When I was growing up in El Dorado my dad's second cousin owned the Spudnut Shop. I have had quite a few in my day and get more when I am down there.
When I lived in El Dorado, I remember having to stand in line early. If you didn't get there early, and I mean EARLY, you were out of luck. And the White House too for pork chop Thursday.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:05 AM

10,521 posts, read 11,632,560 times
Quote:
Thanks Jim, will probably take on your suggested route. We're looking for exactly what you describe, which as I'm sure you will know is very different to what we discovered in the Ozarks of MO & AR. Intend to travel back up to LR after Magnolia, do you know anything about an old Confederate cemetery situated in Camden?
The only Confederate Cemetery I know of is in Fayetteville.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:23 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,642,033 times
My mom is from Strong. We visited there last year. It was a small town when she lived there in the '20's and '30's. It's even smaller now. She was really disappointed to see its decline.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
My mom is from Strong. We visited there last year. It was a small town when she lived there in the '20's and '30's. It's even smaller now. She was really disappointed to see its decline.
Dang, we're almost related!! My mom is from Felsenthal and my grandmother lived in Strong from the 40s until she passed away in 1972.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:05 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,642,033 times
My great-uncle owned the Lion gas station in Strong. When the big oil company (I think it was Texaco) took it over, I wish that we'd had the foresight to save everything in the building that had a Lion logo on it.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 AM

3,949 posts, read 3,855,603 times
Quote:
Having experienced wonderful NE & Central AR last year, I'm already planning on coming back in '16 but with the idea of coming in from the east at Greenville MS and travelling west as far as Magnolia before heading north to LR. Is the Monticello, Magnolia line a good example of southern AR due to it's very distinct geography compared to the NE. I guess I'm obviously hoping to see a much flatter landscape and experience a different kind of "feel" in that part of the great State of Arkansas....
Before you get through Greenville, stop at DOE'S EAT PLACE and have a steak and some hot tamales. It's worth the stop.

Once you cross the new Greenville bridge The US 82 Greenville Bridge across the Mississippi River you will be on the south end of Lake Chicot - Lake Chicot State Park oxbow lake on Arkansas's Mississippi Delta flyway - Arkansas State Parks . I watched the sunset on a barge with friends on July 3.

Within a few miles you will hit a stop light that where you will continue straight to Lake Village. Turning left will take you to Eurdora but there's nothing there unless you know someone. I'll be attending a wedding reception there in a couple of weeks.

A few miles further will take you to the visitor's center - Lake Village Welcome Center (my father was one of the contractors who worked on the foundation of the building) You can follow the road that hugs the lake and end up at the state park (see link above).

Staying on highway 82 will take you into Lake Village proper which has nothing worth stopping for. Once you come to the last stoplight in town, take a left and head toward Hamburg. You will pass through Montrose which will have nothing worth seeing. A few miles past Montrose the scenery will change from farmland to pine forest.

I'm not very familiar with Hamburg. If you are traveling at night, then you can go to Crossett to see the light - Crossett Light - Encyclopedia of Arkansas If you go north of Hamburg, you will end up in Monticello. On the south side of town is the University of Arkansas - Monticello, the largest (in land area) state school in the system.

Slightly off your path is the town of McGehee (about 25 miles north of Lake Village). The museum World War II Japanese American Internment Museum - McGehee has garnered national coverage because George Takei (Star Trek) spent time at the internment camp as a child and is a frequent visitor now that the museum has been established.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:20 PM

108 posts, read 116,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btoverdrive View Post
I don't know of any Confederate cemetery in Camden but near there is Poison Springs State Park which is a civil war battlefield. There are large Confederate cemeteries in Helena (very scenic, overlooks the Mississippi river) and Little Rock. This website lists the civil war sites in Arkansas if it will help.

Civil War Sites
Thanks BT.... I came across this. Not an actual Confederate cemetery but an area sectioned off from the older original. Civil War Buff - Civil War in Arkansas

Managed to get up to Cabot last year to see Camp Nelson, so beautiful and peaceful.
Attached Thumbnails
Magnolia & Southern AR.-037.jpg   Magnolia & Southern AR.-039.jpg   Magnolia & Southern AR.-049.jpg  

Old 07-08-2015, 05:27 PM

108 posts, read 116,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Before you get through Greenville, stop at DOE'S EAT PLACE and have a steak and some hot tamales. It's worth the stop.

Once you cross the new Greenville bridge The US 82 Greenville Bridge across the Mississippi River you will be on the south end of Lake Chicot - Lake Chicot State Park oxbow lake on Arkansas's Mississippi Delta flyway - Arkansas State Parks . I watched the sunset on a barge with friends on July 3.

Within a few miles you will hit a stop light that where you will continue straight to Lake Village. Turning left will take you to Eurdora but there's nothing there unless you know someone. I'll be attending a wedding reception there in a couple of weeks.

A few miles further will take you to the visitor's center - Lake Village Welcome Center (my father was one of the contractors who worked on the foundation of the building) You can follow the road that hugs the lake and end up at the state park (see link above).

Staying on highway 82 will take you into Lake Village proper which has nothing worth stopping for. Once you come to the last stoplight in town, take a left and head toward Hamburg. You will pass through Montrose which will have nothing worth seeing. A few miles past Montrose the scenery will change from farmland to pine forest.

I'm not very familiar with Hamburg. If you are traveling at night, then you can go to Crossett to see the light - Crossett Light - Encyclopedia of Arkansas If you go north of Hamburg, you will end up in Monticello. On the south side of town is the University of Arkansas - Monticello, the largest (in land area) state school in the system.

Slightly off your path is the town of McGehee (about 25 miles north of Lake Village). The museum World War II Japanese American Internment Museum - McGehee has garnered national coverage because George Takei (Star Trek) spent time at the internment camp as a child and is a frequent visitor now that the museum has been established.
Thanks Robert... Will be sure to take in some of these locations en route.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks BT.... I came across this. Not an actual Confederate cemetery but an area sectioned off from the older original. Civil War Buff - Civil War in Arkansas

Managed to get up to Cabot last year to see Camp Nelson, so beautiful and peaceful.
Thanks, I travel through Camden when going to El Dorado or the lake house at Lake D'Arbonne in Farmerville, LA. I did not know it was there and will try to find it next time I go there. I wish they gave some address or GPS coordinates to make finding it easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or