U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,530 times

Advertisements

For some background- I grew up in inner-city Milwaukee and now live in Metro Detroit. Growing up, I heard gunshots in our neighborhood once a month or so. Garages would get graffiti tags on them, and I had 3 bikes stolen. Our car was also stolen once or twice. I don't want to raise my kids in that type of environment. It seems Fort Smith has a high crime rate, but I'm wondering what that really looks like for the residents. Can anyone give me their impressions?

In Metro Detroit, people are not (what I would consider) friendly. People don't greet one another while walking on trails or at the park. Sometimes clerks will say something at store check-outs, but a lot of times nothing is said. People are very private and keep to themselves. It has also been difficult to foster deep friendships as a transplant to this area. Most people have lived here all their lives and are very busy. Everyone has weekends booked full of sport-events/kids' activities/family functions. And no one is the type to invite an outsider into these already-established social circles. We have made a few friends over 6 years, but we see them maybe once every 2 months because people are so busy. No one seems to just want to come over sporadically and hang out and share a beer or a meal. Any social interaction has to be planned months in advance and be an "event." My husband and I would like to live in an environment where spending time with people is valued. How does Fort Smith fair on this front?

Thank you for any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,543 times
Then you will LOOOVE Arkansas. There is nothing to do but sit down and visit with a beer. Nightlife is movies, high school and college football/basketball games some bars if you don't live in a dry county. No I am not from Fort Smith specifically but that is most towns in Arkansas. Not a lot of variety. Do you have family here? That seems to be the key for newbies. If you have family, or know someone you are in. Otherwise, just join a church or be outgoing. It is easy to make friends, just be outgoing and you will get invited everywhere. Also invite others to your home, the busybodies will be there in droves but you will make friends as well. But BEWARE, you may get volunteered for everything as well. Keep looking for specific Fort Smith info.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurryQuilt View Post
It seems Fort Smith has a high crime rate,
Ft. Smith has a high crime rate??? Where did you get that?

Old 09-16-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Ft. Smith has a high crime rate??? Where did you get that?
From here: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 06:52 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
From here: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Sorry, here is the link from city-data: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Arkansas.html

Old 09-28-2015, 04:31 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Sorry, here is the link from city-data: http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Arkansas.html
Stats do not always tell the entire story; Ft Smith certainly doesn't have a huge or even moderate crime rate. As for friendliness it is friendly like much of AR but is a little Bible thumping for some. This is just a matter of opinion of course

Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,845,135 times
We are coming to NWA in a couple weeks to check things out. I've talked to a few businesses online in the NWA area, including Ft. Smith. The folks I have talked to online have gotten back to me right away. Very friendly and personable. I too, want what you want.....someone to share a beer with, do activities with, etc.
The folks on here (City-Data) are very friendly and helpful as well to me.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,221,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Stats do not always tell the entire story; Ft Smith certainly doesn't have a huge or even moderate crime rate. As for friendliness it is friendly like much of AR but is a little Bible thumping for some. This is just a matter of opinion of course
Oh yeah no bible thumping in Bella Vista where I just had to quit my job because I was getting harrassed. But its ok I work in Springdale and its more tolerant and closer.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:27 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,277,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is true. Fort Smith is known as Fort Baptist in some circles. There are few if any places in the U.S. that are more fundamentalist and socially conservative than dry Crawford County, just outside of Fort Smith. If that doesn't bother you, it's a nice, charming town with a lot of history. There are pockets of crime on the north side but overall it isn't too bad, especially by city standards. Compared to Detroit, Fort Smith will seem like Mayberry.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:29 PM

4,384 posts, read 2,919,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is true. Fort Smith is known as Fort Baptist in some circles. There are few if any places in the U.S. that are more fundamentalist and socially conservative than dry Crawford County, just outside of Fort Smith. If that doesn't bother you, it's a nice, charming town with a lot of history. There are pockets of crime on the north side but overall it isn't too bad, especially by city standards. Compared to Detroit, Fort Smith will seem like Mayberry.
I'll mimic this poster. I'm born and raised in Fort Smith and it's a town that's trying to spur some growth and improve nightlife. There's A LOT of old money in this town with people holding on to it and not wanting to spend it.

You're also just a quick jaunt to NWA as well. Fort Smith offers a pretty low COL and if you want to eat, there's plenty of restaurants to tickle your fancy. Fort Smith isn't exactly known for it's nightlife atmosphere. People move here to raise families. The family aspect will likely never change, but we are making a push to make things more interesting here.

As it sits now, if you can't find a good place to eat or a place for your spiritual desires, you're just not looking hard enough. I really enjoy Fort Smith, even though it has its drawbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or