U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM

27 posts, read 134,534 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm Considering A Move To Hot Springs. Is It A Safe Place To Live? Where In The Hot Springs Area Would You Find The High End Shopping? What Areas Do The Upper Middle Class To High Class Residents Reside? I Sell Real Estate. How Is The Market In Hot Springs, And Do You Think It Would Be Quite Easy To Get A Job As A Realtor In The Hot Springs Area?

- Thanks To All That Can Help-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,362 times
I can tell you that real estate is not moving like it was. It used to be you just sat there and sold and never moved out of your seat. Now you have to work to sell.
Upper income people buy in red oak, and on lake hamilton.
There is no upper income shopping in hot springs. you need to move to NY city to buy crap at upper income inflated prices.
Your question is a bit condesending or at lest it sounds like it was.

Hot Springs is a great place for people who like the mountains, nature and history. It has a lot of people who are from the north and west so you dont get the usual you aint from these parts is you atttitude.

If you just ment where do you shop that is not a wal-mart then there is a mall that has some above wal-mart shopping.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,962,328 times
I dont think Hot Springs has the wealth that you seem to imply that you want to sell to or shop with. Alot of retired/fixed income folks and people working in the service/tourism areas who dont make alot of $$. Forgive me if I am misreading your post, but that "better than thou" attitude wont get you too far here in the south.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 PM

106 posts, read 406,369 times
Default How is Hot Springs?

I'm not taking the same tact on response, and will try to answer on points.

Q: I'm Considering A Move To Hot Springs. Is It A Safe Place To Live?

A: Compared to Dense Metro Area's, most locations in Hot Springs or state in General are nice laid back communities. Of course, there are area's that have crime, poor schools, and decay but there are very easy to pick out. Even the worst area's of Hot Springs would not come close to the truly scary parts of some of the other southern type Metro cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.

Q: Where In The Hot Springs Area Would You Find The High End Shopping?
A: Outside of a few shops here or there, almost entire state is lacking in what you would call "High End Shopping". I would guess that even trendiest area in Little Rock would not come close to High End Shopping compared to major metro area's. You would need to travel to Dallas for the closest shopping of that type to Hot Springs.

Q:What Areas Do The Upper Middle Class To High Class Residents Reside?
A: There are area's on Lake Hamilton that run into the millions but it's because it is a rare situation for a Core of Engineers type lake, where owners can still purchase property to the waters edge and have boat docks in and floating on the water. Property has sold by the running foot of shoreline for ages. In addition, recent years has brought increase in homes including features but most of these only range in the 200-300K range. Many buyers from outside the state see land, property, and homes in Arkansas as steals, which has driven up the prices in last 20-30 years. But what you can sell for 900K somewhere on the coasts, can be bought in Hot Springs for 300K loaded out. Also, many move to Hot Springs area but live in outside communities to take advantage of larger home land tracts including farms/acreage.

Q: I Sell Real Estate. How Is The Market In Hot Springs, And Do You Think It Would Be Quite Easy To Get A Job As A Realtor In The Hot Springs Area?

A: Yes, you can get a job as a Realtor but there will be competition. In the Hot Springs area, there are a number of family or multi generation Brokers. Things have slowed down in the past year on new builds. Much of the last few years sales rode same trends as other markets on refinancing, cheap rates, and low credit loans. The rental market was hot but slowing, with lots of buyers snagging up lower end housing/fixer uppers inventory as investment property. Check out the listings of local realtor.com for general area with something like 2900 listings for a tri county region (which isn't alot but again this is not a high population area).

Hot Springs Real Estate - Find Homes in Hot Springs at REALTOR.com

To close, Hot Springs has a more laid back lifestyles, with much of the community depending on tourism/racing/and retirement as staple's. If you truly want trendy in the state ... look elsewhere than Hot Spring ... maybe someplace like "The Height's" area in Little Rock.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:17 PM

27 posts, read 134,534 times
Hi Fasder,

Thank you so much for your help. You were a lot nicer than the other to post. I don't think I'm better than anyone or anything, just had a few questions. All my questions were answered by you. I'm also a very down to earth person you know as Realtor were paid strictly by commission, so I wouldn't consider myself rich, but I do pretty well.

Take Care

Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,236,060 times
In reading your response, I'm thinking that you were trying to figure out where higher income people are so you could sell to them and get higher commissions than the average sale. I'm from L.A. (soon to become an Arkansan) and I thought your original question was worded in a very condescending way. If you had read the sister site to this one city-data.com, you would have known that what you are apparently looking for does not exist in Arkansas. The site tells you the average price of homes, by the city or by the county.

Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 12,038 times
If you are moving from the LA area, you will find life here much, much slower. Safety is almost 360 degree difference than the LA basin. You will have to travel out of town for high-end designer gear. Real estate seems to be doing well, we have new developments popping up all the time (recently passed electric gaming). We moved from the Lancaster/Palmdale area 3 yrs ago and my kids love it!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 PM

350 posts, read 1,124,646 times
There is quite a bit of competition among realtors because it is a big second home market, lots of wealthy people from Little Rock, DFW, Texas, northern Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Mississippi own second homes or condos in HS and there's a large condo market. Because there are so many retirees and relocated people in HS, there are realtors who move there and succeed. It's not the good old boy network you see everywhere else.

Crime is not bad at all. Statistics are deceiving, being a tourist town means that at any time the actual population can be double and occasionally even triple the listed population. That will drive statistics way up, and there is some petty crime.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM

5,612 posts, read 13,236,060 times
I'm very much looking forward to my move to Hot Springs. Spring 2009 cannot come fast enough.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:16 PM

529 posts, read 1,402,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA01 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm Considering A Move To Hot Springs. Is It A Safe Place To Live? Where In The Hot Springs Area Would You Find The High End Shopping? What Areas Do The Upper Middle Class To High Class Residents Reside? I Sell Real Estate. How Is The Market In Hot Springs, And Do You Think It Would Be Quite Easy To Get A Job As A Realtor In The Hot Springs Area?

- Thanks To All That Can Help-
Was the post edited? I don't see anything there that is condescending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas