U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:42 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,102,445 times

Advertisements

I just moved to north Arkansas, 10 miles south of the tiny town of Jasper in the heart of the Ozarks. It's such a beautiful place and so far, the nicest people I've ever met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:55 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I just moved to north Arkansas, 10 miles south of the tiny town of Jasper in the heart of the Ozarks. It's such a beautiful place and so far, the nicest people I've ever met.
Sounds awesome. We very much want to move to Arkansas also. We're in a different boat, in that we're not retirees, but rather a family of 6 with young children. We need to be near Dallas because our daughter receives specialty medical care there, but we also want out of this terribly bland North Texas landscape with all the houses that look the same and sit practically on top of each other. Just can't fathom living the rest of our lives in such a setting. We want to be in the Hot Springs area to not only be close to Dallas, but closer to my family in Georgia as well. The Ouachita's just resonated with us like no place ever has. We're going back to introduce the kids to the area soon and see what they think, and I've begun researching everything else about the area that we'll need to do and know about, as we want to move this coming spring once our lease is up here.

It may or may not happen, but we're excited to have discovered the region, regardless.......and are thrilled that it will be there to experience whether we move there or not.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,171,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Sounds awesome. We very much want to move to Arkansas also. We're in a different boat, in that we're not retirees, but rather a family of 6 with young children. We need to be near Dallas because our daughter receives specialty medical care there, but we also want out of this terribly bland North Texas landscape with all the houses that look the same and sit practically on top of each other. Just can't fathom living the rest of our lives in such a setting. We want to be in the Hot Springs area to not only be close to Dallas, but closer to my family in Georgia as well. The Ouachita's just resonated with us like no place ever has. We're going back to introduce the kids to the area soon and see what they think, and I've begun researching everything else about the area that we'll need to do and know about, as we want to move this coming spring once our lease is up here.

It may or may not happen, but we're excited to have discovered the region, regardless.......and are thrilled that it will be there to experience whether we move there or not.
Ouachita's !

Old 11-04-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
Ouachita's !
I hear ya!

I'm looking at bringing the fam to Hot Springs in about a month while the light display is up & running at Garvan Gardens. Anyone been to that? Saw a YouTube video from someone who has, and it looks right down our alley. My wife is OCD Christmas, and my kids would surely love it as well. I figure it might be better to go Sunday through Thursday due to the crowds, yes? We would have a double stroller with us, is it stroller accessible?

Old 11-04-2015, 01:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
Loved reading this. When I was a kid my parents drove across the nation a couple times to visit my grand parents. They had retired to the area my grand father had grown up. I remember back in 1973 staying just outside of Hot Springs. My grandparents had a 5 acre lot with a stream going right thru it. My great grand mother lived in Hot Springs in a home that did not have a bathroom. She had been there since she was a little girl. My grand father and his brothers had a bathroom built on her lot, not connected to the house though. She thought that it was not sanitary to have a bathroom built into a home.

I would love to visit again. My wife and I have even talked about maybe moving to another area when our kids are grown. It has been so long since I have been there. Was so cool to read the OP's words. Thanks for that.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:21 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
I'm looking at bringing the fam to Hot Springs in about a month while the light display is up & running at Garvan Gardens.... We would have a double stroller with us, is it stroller accessible?
Very stroller accessible. Garvan Gardens is wonderful! I haven't been to the Christmas light display, but it's wonderful even without that. I would like to go someday, though, and take the "kids" (who are grown but would still enjoy it).

Old 11-04-2015, 04:46 PM

265 posts, read 270,138 times
We've been to Garvin Gardens at Christmastime a few times now. It's VERY impressive. The city of Hot Springs also has a nice Christmas light display downtown near bath house row.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Loved reading this. When I was a kid my parents drove across the nation a couple times to visit my grand parents. They had retired to the area my grand father had grown up. I remember back in 1973 staying just outside of Hot Springs. My grandparents had a 5 acre lot with a stream going right thru it. My great grand mother lived in Hot Springs in a home that did not have a bathroom. She had been there since she was a little girl. My grand father and his brothers had a bathroom built on her lot, not connected to the house though. She thought that it was not sanitary to have a bathroom built into a home.

I would love to visit again. My wife and I have even talked about maybe moving to another area when our kids are grown. It has been so long since I have been there. Was so cool to read the OP's words. Thanks for that.
My pleasure. It makes me happy that I was able to effectively convey our experience. Maybe we'll see you around there someday!

Old 11-09-2015, 11:43 AM

7,685 posts, read 3,408,012 times
Quote:
I hear ya!

I'm looking at bringing the fam to Hot Springs in about a month while the light display is up & running at Garvan Gardens. Anyone been to that? Saw a YouTube video from someone who has, and it looks right down our alley. My wife is OCD Christmas, and my kids would surely love it as well. I figure it might be better to go Sunday through Thursday due to the crowds, yes? We would have a double stroller with us, is it stroller accessible?
We went one year and really loved it. It is stroller accessible with lots of paved paths and the massive lit Christmas tree blew me away. If memory serves me correctly, you can get free hot chocolate and warm popcorn if the weather is chilly. Lot of cool holiday music playing while you admire the lights. We went on a Saturday night and took forever to find a parking spot.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
We went one year and really loved it. It is stroller accessible with lots of paved paths and the massive lit Christmas tree blew me away. If memory serves me correctly, you can get free hot chocolate and warm popcorn if the weather is chilly. Lot of cool holiday music playing while you admire the lights. We went on a Saturday night and took forever to find a parking spot.
I'm going to take us on a Sunday night with hopes that crowds won't be as big, but it sounds like we'll love it regardless. Free hot chocolate and popcorn alone is worth the trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or