U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 07:56 AM

2,278 posts, read 1,447,719 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be about 3 hours away from Hot Springs. Thank you for your write up. A lot of people have mentioned Hot Springs to me so it's possible I might move around that area if the area I'm going is not what I am expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 04:51 PM

2,722 posts, read 3,688,764 times
I couldn't agree with the OP more! As a Texan, I find this part of the country enchanting . First time in AR, we stayed at the Arlington and did the in -house baths. We still talk about that. Also , had the best catfish dinner at a folksy place, don't remember the name. Then on to Little Rock for convention with a side trip down to Pine Bluff. I had never been to AR and always heard it was hot and full of chiggers. LOL Well, I became a believer. The last trip through there, we had to stay on the Interstate and stayed at a Holiday Inn near the Little Rock airport. I saw a YELP recommendation for the Pioneer Diner right on I -30. Wow, the place wasn't much on the outside but the food was to die for. It was a place for locals as we could tell but the owners were happy that we came and we really enjoyed ourselves. Wife and I are talking about going back up into NW AR around Fayetteville. Have a friend at John Brown Univ in Siloam Springs. It is beautiful.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 AM

691 posts, read 755,228 times
Glad you enjoyed Hot Spings. My great grandparents moved there in 1911 from Milwaukee since great grandpa's health wasn't that great. They built a two story house out of concret blocks out where the national guard and airport is located. In fact the the National Guard is right behind what was their property.The airport was there when my dad lived in the old house which was built from leftover blocks from St.John's Catholic Church which great grandpa helped build and the family attended.
Hot Springs in the old days when day grew up there in the 1920s and 30s was one of the places to go for those with money,, along with Saratoga Springs and some other very old spa towns. My dad could remember when Al Capone was in town,,,,,, as he had men with guns on the top of the hotel he was staying in. He and Uncle Tom,his brother got to meet John D.Rockerfeller one day downtown.Old John D. used to hand out dimes to kids as a reminder of the first dime he ever made and to inspire thrift at an early age.I asked daddy,,Did you and Uncle Tom save your dimes?To which he replied No.We went and spent them on candy.Above what is the Tussad's Wax Museum on the upper floors used to be a gambling den where guys like Nick the Greek,and other professional gamblers would go.Daddy worked there for a while an errand boy until the day he came home with a big tip.When grandpa found out how much daddy got,, he quick put a stop to that job even though daddy was just an errand boy.
My Great Aunt Helen was a ladies massuer at the Buckstaff.She dated Johnny Mostril who played for the White Sox. They and the Milwaukee Brewers used to come to town for their summer camp.
Besides the alligator farm,,there was also an ostrich farm .Ostrich feathers on ladies hats in the 1900s were very popular.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
The question of the day is, what would you figure on spending for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home with a 2 car garage lets say at least 1,800 square feet of space in the home, maybe a place that is no older than 25 years old.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:35 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Hey does anyone have any experience going to the Garland County library in Hot Springs? My wife & kids love libraries and I'd like for them to have access to a good one if we moved there. Any other libraries in the area that are good?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The question of the day is, what would you figure on spending for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath home with a 2 car garage lets say at least 1,800 square feet of space in the home, maybe a place that is no older than 25 years old.
Easy way to find out is to check out realtor.com, redfin.com (limited areas, but Hot Springs and Hot Springs Village are covered), zillow.com, or trulia.com

Old 11-13-2015, 07:34 AM

124 posts, read 125,944 times
Just FYI, for travelers/non-residents, the Arkansas Grand Canyon is on Hwy 7 just south of Jasper.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmiii View Post
Just FYI, for travelers/non-residents, the Arkansas Grand Canyon is on Hwy 7 just south of Jasper.
And it's beautiful. Stop at the Cliff House Inn...you don't have to eat, there is a gift shop, but the food used to be pretty good (well, breakfast was all I ever ate there, I think). You can go out on their deck and enjoy the fabulous view.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,171,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Hey does anyone have any experience going to the Garland County library in Hot Springs? My wife & kids love libraries and I'd like for them to have access to a good one if we moved there. Any other libraries in the area that are good?
I haven't been to their library in a few years but the last time I was there, doing research, everyone was really, really friendly and helpful, and it appears to be pretty well stocked. I understand, but don't know for sure, lots of their historical/genealogy stuff has been moved somewhere else for the Historical Society library.

Malvern, about 30/45 minutes southeast, has a small library but has a pretty good inventory for it's size. They have lots of Civil War books that I donated, including a complete set of The Official Records.

Welcome to The Natural State.

Last edited by Old Fossil; 11-13-2015 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 11-18-2015, 08:23 AM

7,685 posts, read 3,408,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmiii View Post
I enjoyed our visit to the Grand Canyon, but we went up from Conway on 65 and then over west. It was a bit nerve wracking in a SUV because those mountain roads got so steep that I could hear the engine grinding and seemed like it would never end. There's no place to stop or get help if you get in trouble in that part of the country either! Next time, I'm driving up from Russellville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or