U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 10:48 AM

10 posts, read 41,402 times

Advertisements

Is earthquake insurance needed in Little Rock area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:26 AM

395 posts, read 1,229,537 times
No........................

Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,855,441 times
No way! We're not that close to the New Madrid fault. I very seriously doubt you need it in Memphis either. That isn't to say you might not want to get some because nothing's built to an earthquake code and IF something were to start shaking then a good bit of the area will be a mess. However, I don't think there was much damage in LR even when the really big 1812 quake hit.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,523,352 times
Probably not in Little Rock, although there have been many reports of seismic events in central Arkansas. Little Rock didn't exist in 1812, so it would be hard to know what if any kind of damage happened in the area that year.
Back in 1990, there was a lot of hoopla surrounding the New Madrid fault, which is in southeastern Missouri, because a scientist, who's name escapes me, actually predicted that an earthquake would happen that year. Of course, it didn't. He did raise awareness about the fault, however. Buildings all over the region began to be built with earthquakes in mind. People got insurance for it.
The city of Memphis is particularly paranoid (for better or worse), because they are quite close to the fault, and the ground in that area is very soft and muddy due to it being in the Delta region. Not good tremor terrain.
Several of the surrounding states are affected by this fault. It is very active, although there hasn't been a major earthquake there since 1812. There are lots of small tremors... daily, I think. Most cannot be felt. It is reported that the one (actually a series) in 1812 cracked walls in D.C.
One interesting tidbit.... Paragould used to have an event called the "Earthquake Festival" in the early 1980's. It was a hokey homage to the local fault. The festival didn't last for very many years. Maybe the name scared people away. They now have the Loose Caboose Festival. Every bit as hokey, almost as scary, but there it is.

Last edited by northbound74; 01-31-2008 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,865 times
What do you think about north east Arkansas, Hardy area is it needed their??

Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,900,945 times
There was an article this week in the DG about building/rebuilding a bridge - two engineers fighting over whether it needed to be built for earthquakes or not. They were pretty ticked at each other! I'd copy the article link if I could, but the Democrat does that "pay for every eye that sees it" thing.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 AM

2,903 posts, read 8,587,634 times
Here is my spiel on earthquakes...and I am no expert, but I am very familair with quake prone areas, their buildings' construction techniques, and I have studied seismology as a hobby.

There certainly WILL be shaking strong, enough to cause damage, someday in the same areas that were affected by the 1811-1812 earthquakes. If there have been major quakes before, there will be major quakes again. The devil is in the details. We don't know if the next damaging quake will be in 20 years or 200 years. I would bet the later though, as these intraplate quakes that ocurr on the New Madrid Fault have long "rest" periods if you will, between major events...so most likely you will not live to experience the next big one, but that is speculation and it could very well happen tomorrow for all we know.

Unless you live within a mile of the fault zone, which very few people do, I would say skip the quake insurance. It usually has very high deductibles...and the damage isn't usually enough to justify it, even in Cali people forgo it...because the odds are that you will NOT sustain damage in an earthquake, only because damaging quakes are relatively infrequent and damage is usually localized to fault zones and areas with muddy soils like Memphis, as was previously stated. Maybe an extra cautious person buying in Memphis on sill soils, from the river deposits, would make this kind of investment and use quake insurance, or goverments building major bridges or buildings or schools...but for a single family home...which is usually smaller and cheaper in comparison, the damage could be quite less thus making the insurance unecessary.

U.S. construction codes are strong even if they aren't "up to" earthquake code. The moderate shaking that you *might* experience at your house would most liekly be only enough to cause superficial damage, say items tossed from shelves, but nothing structural.

In Little Rock I would pass on the EQ insurance.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:51 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,523,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
What do you think about north east Arkansas, Hardy area is it needed their??
Hardy is a little further west than the other places in northeast Arkansas that get more seismic activity. Tremors do happen all over that region, though.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,088,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch22 View Post
Is earthquake insurance needed in Little Rock area
No. Save your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas