Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,109,953 times

Advertisements

Throughout these threads, I've noticed two words that have scared the bejeezus out of me - Dry County. Equally scary - Dry City. As a native Cali girl, I must have my occaisional glass of wine. Can someone please tell me where these places are? I don't necessarily want to avoid those areas, but I like to make informed decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Throughout these threads, I've noticed two words that have scared the bejeezus out of me - Dry County. Equally scary - Dry City. As a native Cali girl, I must have my occaisional glass of wine. Can someone please tell me where these places are? I don't necessarily want to avoid those areas, but I like to make informed decisions.
"Dry" Arkansas Counties
Ashley
Benton
Boone
Bradley
Clark
Clay
Cleburne
Columbia
Craighead
Crawford
Faulkner
Fulton
Grant
Hempstead
Hot Spring
Howard
Independence
Izard
Johnson
Lafayette
Lawrence
Lincoln
Little River
Lonoke
Madison
Marion
Montgomery
Nevada
Newton
Perry
Pike
Polk
Pope
Randolph
Saline
Scott
Searcy
Sevier
Sharp
Stone
Van Buren
WhiteYell

Old 02-14-2008, 10:10 PM

I probably should have asked which ones weren't dry. tee hee

Old 02-15-2008, 05:36 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Just about every place that is dry is within quick driving distance of a "wet" place...the law does not prohibit you from transporting liquor into the county for your consumption. It's actually a minor inconvenience, and most counties/cities will have private "clubs" or restaruants that you join for $5 a year or something if you feel you must go out and have a drink. But bars? Not so much. Here the bar is disguised as a supper club (but the food is fairly decent, so who's complaining???)

Old 02-15-2008, 05:49 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Just about every place that is dry is within quick driving distance of a "wet" place...the law does not prohibit you from transporting liquor into the county for your consumption. It's actually a minor inconvenience, and most counties/cities will have private "clubs" or restaruants that you join for $5 a year or something if you feel you must go out and have a drink. But bars? Not so much. Here the bar is disguised as a supper club (but the food is fairly decent, so who's complaining???)
We live close to Mo. It's to bad we have to take are business out of state for some booze and lotto ticket.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
We live close to Mo. It's to bad we have to take are business out of state for some booze and lotto ticket.
Isn't that true. One, but certainly one of the lesser reasons we have chosen Bella Vista is it's proximity to MO and for that reason as well as lower sales tax. We had a similar situation in Texas. We lived in a city that was dry with the exception of the "Private Clubs" that Sam mentioned. We were only 2 minutes from the next town that was wet. Not only did we shop for our booze (again mostly wine being Ca at heart) but we found ourselves doing most of our grocery shopping there as well. It was convenient to do it all. The $$s the city lost must have been unreal. Since then, that city has gone wet. I wonder why????

Nita

Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
There is a lot of variance in the "dry" counties as to the availability of liquor. Some counties have very few establishments that serve alcohol, and some counties have numerous restaurants that serve drinks. In Benton County many of the restaurants have bars, and while within the county there are no liquor stores, from practically anywhere in the county you are only minutes away from a liquor store.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM

The dinner club membership sounds like fun. I think I can handle $5 or so per year. And I'm glad to know I can fill my wine rack at home. lol. The more I'm learning about the Arkansas, the more excited I'm getting. I almost don't want to wait until next year.

Being from L.A., telling me I have to drive an hour to get something doesn't move me. Sometimes it takes me that long to get to/from work and it's only 25 miles away.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
The dinner club membership sounds like fun. I think I can handle $5 or so per year. And I'm glad to know I can fill my wine rack at home. lol. The more I'm learning about the Arkansas, the more excited I'm getting. I almost don't want to wait until next year.

Being from L.A., telling me I have to drive an hour to get something doesn't move me. Sometimes it takes me that long to get to/from work and it's only 25 miles away.
I know how you feel, the wait can seem so long. We decided last June to make our move, but not til spring. WEll, guess what? Our house goes on the market in 2 weeks. WE are just waiting for our new carpeting to come in.

Nita

Old 02-16-2008, 08:50 AM

77 posts, read 187,913 times
How do all the "dry" counties in Arkansas affect the live music scene? I'm considering taking a job with a company that has plants in western Arkansas, but I'm also a part-time musician.

Would it be difficult for me to find establishments that hire live bands in Arkansas? Do many of the private clubs have live entertainment? If so, which areas would be best/worst for a working musician?

Thanx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas