U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:08 PM

3 posts, read 17,526 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job opportunity in El Dorado with the company he currently works for. Everything I have found on the web about this city is negative besides cheap housing. I don't mind that it is a small city (21,000) but the fact that it is a small city with high crime rates is not encouraging. I have looked at all of the surrounding cities, but can't find a decent town. They all have populations of about 800-2000! And even those have high crime and bad schools. Help! Our children are in private school now so we do not mind paying for private schools, but there must be somewhere to live around El Dorado that is not so miserable. HELP!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,674,173 times
I don't know that much about Eldorado, other than having a Grandmother that used to live there. Of course I visited regularly but have never lived there.
It surprises me to hear that crime is bad there. I have to question that a little bit. It has been a while since I have been up there, a few years, but last time I was there the main city square seemed to be getting some revitalization. There was a nice restaurant or two that had opened up, which is something that town desperately needed. It was short on restaurants, there was one small mall. There were really nice older homes off of Madison Street. There has been some growth going on there but it is a small, somewhat stagnant town. You might check out Monroe Louisiana. I think that is the next largest town. Sorry thats all I know.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:47 AM

296 posts, read 1,133,872 times
Default Hello

Hello from Camden which is 30 miles north east of El Dorado. We go to El Dorado alot to shop, dine or see a movie. El Dorado has a private school named West Side Christian Academy, I think. We have Camden Christian Academy in Camden a small private school. You can visit our website at www.camdenchristian.org (broken link) My kids go there. They love the school. There is also Victory Christian School in Camden. In Magnolia, there is Columbia Christian School which has around 300 students. I'll be glad to help answer any questions you may have. Crime seems to be everywhere, anywhere these days.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
Default El Dorado is comming around

Hi, I live in El Dorado (off Madison they are great old houses) and I would like to address you inquiry about our town.

Yes, El Dorado has become a very stagnet area, but I think we are finally trying to change things. Murphy Oil has established the El Dorado Promise which is great for the area see eldoradopromise.com. It established a scholarship program that is available to all students at El Dorado High School, any child can attend college with this program. We have also voted and approved a 1 cent sales tax increase to continue what Murphy has Started. These funds will go toward a "El Dorado Forward" program to rebuild El Dorado and make it a more appealing place to live and work.

I have had kids in the school system for a total of 16 years with 8 more to go, not one complaint, they offer so many opportunites and have a very professional staff.

I have lived in this area most of my life and I hope and pray for the town and that it will begin growing again and pull out of it's stagnet existance.

Happily living in El Dorado.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:02 PM

296 posts, read 1,133,872 times
Red face Praying that the South "Arkansas" will rise again!

I use to feel that I just couldn't wait till I could move from Camden. But the older I get the more I try and find that perfect place to live and then home starts to feel just as good. Camden has its' share of economic problems, crime, public school problems etc., but doesn't just about every place these days have its' own different share of problems? Camden is getting a Super Wal-Mart, Walgreens and I heard a Church's Chicken. Maybe we are slowing moving towards a economic gain. I hope so.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:23 AM

33 posts, read 117,986 times
Do not move to El Dorado. The job market has declined and keeps declining. I highly recommend moving somewhere else. You'll thank me for it.

It's not a bad place to live, but the crime rate goes up every year corresponding to the unemployment and declining jobs. People have to survive and without jobs what's left???????????? Crime. Some people have to resort to thieving for survival. Sad but true.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:18 AM

365 posts, read 890,884 times
Hey Trapped, what's keeping you in El Dorado? I am from El Dorado, still have family and friends there and I visit often, I'll be there in three weeks to see my Dad. I know Eldo is not the greatest town to live in and I could see that a long time ago and got the heck out of town, but I have lived in worse places.

There are always choices.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:54 PM

33 posts, read 117,986 times
That's what everyone keeps telling me. Go move somewhere else. Well here is the problem(s).

1. It takes money to move somewhere. What do you do if you don't have any money?

2. It takes a job to make money. What do you do if no one offers you a job and your out there filling out applications, sending resumes, doing interviews? How can you save up money to move? And the longer you're without a job, the more the bills pile up burying you more and more in debt.

Do you have a solution?

I hate thinking about mistakes, but I made a big one moving to El Dorado.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,264 times
Default blytheville arkansas

I am looking for info totwo familys that lived around the blytheville arkansas area around the late seventys an early eightys . Their names are Whittakers from the little town of half moon a suburb of blytheville .And the others familys name is phillips. Any info will be greatly appreciated

Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,898,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped In ElDorado View Post
That's what everyone keeps telling me. Go move somewhere else. Well here is the problem(s).

1. It takes money to move somewhere. What do you do if you don't have any money?

2. It takes a job to make money. What do you do if no one offers you a job and your out there filling out applications, sending resumes, doing interviews? How can you save up money to move? And the longer you're without a job, the more the bills pile up burying you more and more in debt.

Do you have a solution?

I hate thinking about mistakes, but I made a big one moving to El Dorado.
Trapped, all I can do at this point is make suggestions - in all honesty, I'm not sure you're open to the ideas, though.

There is a community college there - I don't know your educational level, but consider something you've never considered before. I was left alone with two small children in the late 1980's, high school education, and unemployed after leaving the police department after 10 years. Zero funds, no assistance with the kids. I was literally on my own. I took a plunge and attended Baptist Schools of Health in Little Rock (I was living in Cabot)......I worked 5 part time jobs to make it work. I filed for a medical company, I slung beer at the old Ray Winder Field during ball season, I waited tables during the lunch hour at a lunch only cafe, I babysat other people's kids on weekends, and I was a petsitter/walker......and I went to school 3 full days a week and after a year I had certification in medical transcription. I took a dyslexic surgeon's work because I was freakin' hungry and ready for some cash flow and no one else would take his work. I did that at night and worked a regular transcription job during the day....and I did that for 8 long years and still waited tables on the weekends. Fast forward 15 years....I run my own company, I employ others, I still work some grueling hours. I've remarried now in 1997 and my kids are grown - but in the meantime I put two kids through private school, and one through college and law school. It was never easy, I won't lie to you. I worked more 20 hour days than I can count.....but there IS a way out. My family decided I was an adult and could care for myself and my children - I didn't have anyone slipping me money. I put my head down and I plowed through. It was tight, very tight. It was never easy...but it worked. At some point I saved enough money to move myself and the kids back to Little Rock to be closer to my myriad of jobs and found that wasn't working for the kids and I went right back to Cabot and sucked up the cost on the commute.

I'm completely convinced that you simply have to think about things outside the standard job market - and you may drive yourself deeper into debt doing something new, I know I did - and I learned a lot of hard, hard lessons....but there's some job out there. It may not be what you want and it may not pay what you think you're worth, but it's out there. Take it. You can look for another job in your off hours.....but to be honest, you have kind of a defeatist attitude. If you're taking that with you to interviews I'd think it might play against you. Go the the temp agencies, go apply for any job in the world. The relief you have from having any kind of income will surely brighten your mood and will keep you from dwelling on the situation as it is today.

Maybe you made a bad decision in moving to ED, we can't know that for sure - but it was your decision and now it's up to you to either make it work or find a way out. I still consider myself unskilled labor, but I bill about $50/hour by myself. My name is out there, I'm in demand, and I've never had to look for a job since then. People come to ME because they know I will carry through on what I say I will, which is something I learned from having to carry through on promises or lose all the little jobs that were the glue holding things together.

You don't mention your age or your educational background but I doubt you could have found anyone less ready to raise two kids on their own and go into the workplace than I was at that particular point in time. You also don't mention if you have family that you could ask for help to get going the right direction. If you do, now is the time to do it...but hammering out your unhappiness on a forum is not making your situation any better and I think is probably depressing you even more.

Look into the school aspect - sometimes you can get loans that give you a stipend for living as well, or do a work/study program. The solution is out there, but you're going to have to look for it. I don't think opportunity knocks on our door, I think we have to go out and find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas