Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 06:58 AM

3,815 posts, read 6,417,650 times

Advertisements

So in this thread I'm trying to get a feel for all the little things that wind up costing big when you move to a new state......in particular the DMV/OMV process for new residents in Arkansas. I skimmed over the website, but I also like to hear about the experience first hand from those who have been through it. How frustrating/expensive is it to get license plates, drivers license, etc., and what other regulations/expenses can one expect as a new resident of The Natural State? How would you compare the experiences with those of states you have previousy lived in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,633,026 times
I'm in Newton county so all the DMV business is done in Jasper which is a tiny town. I was transferring 4 cars, a boat, and boat trailer. It took a whole 20 minutes to complete, the driver's license took an additional 5 minutes. It cost about $250 for everything. The personal property tax on it all isn't due till early 2017.

I can't think of anything specifically that cost anything out of the ordinary. Coming from Louisiana, my auto insurance dropped about 65% and my property tax did as well.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm in Newton county so all the DMV business is done in Jasper which is a tiny town. I was transferring 4 cars, a boat, and boat trailer. It took a whole 20 minutes to complete, the driver's license took an additional 5 minutes. It cost about $250 for everything. The personal property tax on it all isn't due till early 2017.

I can't think of anything specifically that cost anything out of the ordinary. Coming from Louisiana, my auto insurance dropped about 65% and my property tax did as well.
The property taxes in AR are one of the main reasons we're considering coming there. I get that they make it up elsewhere, but I'd rather pay the income and sales tax than $5,000 a year in property tax like in TX, or even higher in other places we've lived, such as Illinois.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
The property taxes in AR are one of the main reasons we're considering coming there. I get that they make it up elsewhere, but I'd rather pay the income and sales tax than $5,000 a year in property tax like in TX, or even higher in other places we've lived, such as Illinois.
My sales tax in Louisiana was higher than it is here although I have no idea about the income taxes. I've heard property taxes in Texas was high. My auto insurance went from $560/month to $220/month.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:07 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,893,138 times
You will pay sales tax on your vehicles you bring and will pay personal property taxes on them annually. Of course the price of the tags is determined by the vehicle, and if you are a combat veteran or retired military the tags will be a little over $3.00 each. You can get only one set unless you are retired, and, have combat service, then you can get one for each qualifying service. Once you get everything set up you can do the annual renewal on-line, and the Web Site is user friendly. I don't have any current info on real estate tax because we sold out and moved to this old folks community several years ago.

I hope you decide to come join us, and if you do, Welcome to The Natural State .

Old 02-05-2016, 01:00 AM

340 posts, read 512,174 times
We moved to AR from TX about three years ago. And had moved to TX from UT eight years before that.

Moving to TX we got sticker shock. Nowhere else I've lived charged anywhere near as much as Texas for licenses, license plates,a big fee for transferring titles, etc.

Arkansas in comparison is dirt cheap, and a much simpler system to navigate. For example in Texas I paid separate fees for my boat, motor and trailer. In Arkansas the trailer is a lifetime registration and the boar registration thru the fish and game is cheap and good for several years.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:55 AM

Yes, Texas took us for a ride when we moved here with the vehicle stuff. Glad to hear Arkansas is much more reasonable in that regard.

Interviewing for a position in Bentonville next week. Not thrilled about the prospect after the initial phone interview, but they seemed excited, so figured I'd come up and sell myself. Am hoping to get additional callbacks between now & then so I can do as much as possible while I'm there. We have to be out of our rental here by the end of March, so don't have a real big window with which to make something happen, but also definitely not going to take anything offered just to move to AR (as badly as we want to). Has to be the right job......if it doesn't come about this time around we can hang back here for another 6 months to a year and then make another run.

That said, feeling pretty good about what I'm hearing as far as costs go. Rents seem to be cheaper up there as well. Very interested to see what the going rate is for my profession, as that'll play a big role in our decision, too. Texas pays very well on top of having no state income tax.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 02-05-2016 at 02:07 AM..

Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
You will pay sales tax on your vehicles you bring and will pay personal property taxes on them annually. Of course the price of the tags is determined by the vehicle, and if you are a combat veteran or retired military the tags will be a little over $3.00 each. You can get only one set unless you are retired, and, have combat service, then you can get one for each qualifying service. Once you get everything set up you can do the annual renewal on-line, and the Web Site is user friendly. I don't have any current info on real estate tax because we sold out and moved to this old folks community several years ago.

I hope you decide to come join us, and if you do, Welcome to The Natural State .
Old Fossil, I didn't pay any sales tax on the vehicles I brought from Louisiana.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:31 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,893,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Old Fossil, I didn't pay any sales tax on the vehicles I brought from Louisiana.

O.K., I have the bad habit of relying on my experience back when I was out and about in the real world . Now that I'm fully retired, changes slip by me unnoticed . Which can be good . Thanks for keeping me straight .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas