U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 2,373 times

Advertisements

You might want to reach out to Lisa Majors at Ecovillage AR. It's probably a few hours away give or take from Little Rock.

I don't know her face to face, but we connected because I was interested in visiting there.

Try to continue doing your research, visiting Craigslist/Meetup/Couchsurfing and posting in this forum to connect with people in advance. Try some mom meetup groups for playdates too. Tinder, if you specify you're strictly wanting to make friends, might help to meet some new folks rapidly. It helped when I went to Tennessee.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:32 AM

62,248 posts, read 68,218,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraharriette View Post
You might want to reach out to Lisa Majors at Ecovillage AR. It's probably a few hours away give or take from Little Rock.

I don't know her face to face, but we connected because I was interested in visiting there.

Try to continue doing your research, visiting Craigslist/Meetup/Couchsurfing and posting in this forum to connect with people in advance. Try some mom meetup groups for playdates too. Tinder, if you specify you're strictly wanting to make friends, might help to meet some new folks rapidly. It helped when I went to Tennessee.

Good luck!
When we moved here 8 years ago I found just being on CityData helped me a lot. There are so many ways to feel welcome even before the actual move. After the move, just getting involved with the kids activities and a church group can help a lot. I also met a lot of people just going to garage sales the first few weeks. picking up little things I needed for the house and visiting with others.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM

6,209 posts, read 5,578,914 times
Wow, Gloria, I guess I'm partly what you term "hillbilly" via my Scots-Irish/English/French/possibly Cherokee grandmother from NW AR, but I sure didn't realize I was probably "Romano-Judaic-Celtic" through my grandfather, whose Norman English and German grandparents came to southern AR from Alabama. But then, there were those Welsh Morgans way back in my grandfather's line, so I suppose that makes their descendents Celtic. Sort of.

Never heard of any of these good folks being either plantation royalty or white trash, however - instead, they were hardworking middle-class Methodist farmers who valued education, music and good behavior (basically kindness, honesty, and respectful manners). Of course, that describes my Scots-Irish etc. "hillbilly" ancestors quite accurately as well.

BTW, "hillbilly" is a term I find mildly offensive coming from those with no connection to either the Appalachians or Ozarks. I have both connections, and while some with these backgrounds use it frequently, I avoid it. Thanks for understanding - it's been used quite pejoratively in the past, and it rarely carries positive associations nowadays.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:16 PM

Also, Gloria, I wonder if your views about "Scandinavians" vs. "Celts" take into account that many Scots, particularly those from the Highlands and Islands, have Viking ancestry? I have a cousin whose paternal ancestry comes from the Isle of Skye - he is tall, rangy, blue-eyed and blond, with sharp features. Viking as they come in appearance. What would you term him? We share those Arkansas grandparents I described above - so is my cousin a Celt, a Hillbilly, a Viking, a Roman, a German, a Jew, or something else entirely in your view?

BTW, he lives in Little Rock, right on what you view as the border...

Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 9,504 times
We moved here a couple of months ago from California and we were nervous and terrified. But now that we are here we are loving it. I mean its far from California but I like the cheaper cost of living without sacrificing quality of life. We moved to the Cabot area which has top rated schools in the state. We bought a beautiful home for a fraction of what it would've cost back in Cali. I think moving here is not horrible and you'll enjoy it if you give it a chance.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:34 PM

464 posts, read 373,543 times
i have several friends and family that live in cabot. some of these families own weekends places at golf courses and lakes around the state, yet they have their homes in cabot. these people could live anywhere in arkansas they want, but they like the schools, churches and town of cabot for their families. it is one of those places that you can go to walmart, kroger or mcdonalds at 9 pm and be perfectly safe. you are 15-20 mins from north little rock and about 30-40 mins from anywhere in the little rock metro. (recently, one of these families just left an exclusive gated golf course home in west little rock and returned to cabot.)

Old 03-08-2016, 08:13 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,011,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Wow, Gloria, I guess I'm partly what you term "hillbilly" via my Scots-Irish/English/French/possibly Cherokee grandmother from NW AR, but I sure didn't realize I was probably "Romano-Judaic-Celtic" through my grandfather, whose Norman English and German grandparents came to southern AR from Alabama. But then, there were those Welsh Morgans way back in my grandfather's line, so I suppose that makes their descendents Celtic. Sort of.

Never heard of any of these good folks being either plantation royalty or white trash, however - instead, they were hardworking middle-class Methodist farmers who valued education, music and good behavior (basically kindness, honesty, and respectful manners). Of course, that describes my Scots-Irish etc. "hillbilly" ancestors quite accurately as well.

BTW, "hillbilly" is a term I find mildly offensive coming from those with no connection to either the Appalachians or Ozarks. I have both connections, and while some with these backgrounds use it frequently, I avoid it. Thanks for understanding - it's been used quite pejoratively in the past, and it rarely carries positive associations nowadays.
There seems to be a vein of German heritage in the Ozarks analogous to the Germans in the Texas Hill Country from whom I am partly descended. It makes sense to me that those immigrants apparently preferred the rolling hills in which to settle with their dairy cattle. Subiaco and Altus were German-Catholic areas, while Tontitown is an Italian settlment (although now it is Springdale Her-Ber West). While driving over to the Buffalo River area, a relative of mine remarked that he could tell Germans had settled parts of the Ozarks because of the quality of the older barns we drove past. Germanic barns are notorious for their longevity and quality of construction, apparently--at least according to some in my family.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:34 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,011,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was taught classy people don't talk about their salary.
At the risk of sounding unclassy, I resisted responding that I haven't made less than $110k myself in a few years. There is no paucity of well-paying jobs around here. I am in NWA by choice and find it to be a wonderful place to live.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:38 AM

62,248 posts, read 68,218,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
At the risk of sounding unclassy, I resisted responding that I haven't made less than $110k myself in a few years. There is no paucity of well-paying jobs around here. I am in NWA by choice and find it to be a wonderful place to live.
totally agree; you did resist didn't you.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
There seems to be a vein of German heritage in the Ozarks analogous to the Germans in the Texas Hill Country from whom I am partly descended. It makes sense to me that those immigrants apparently preferred the rolling hills in which to settle with their dairy cattle. Subiaco and Altus were German-Catholic areas, while Tontitown is an Italian settlment (although now it is Springdale Her-Ber West). While driving over to the Buffalo River area, a relative of mine remarked that he could tell Germans had settled parts of the Ozarks because of the quality of the older barns we drove past. Germanic barns are notorious for their longevity and quality of construction, apparently--at least according to some in my family.

My Arkansas ancestors of Protestant German heritage had been in Alabama, Georgia, and North Carolina (that's reverse chronological order) in previous generations, and first settled in Drew County when they first came to Arkansas. I expect they were pretty well "Americanized" by then - they were certainly strong Methodists by that time. They later moved to Sebastian County, closer to the Ozarks, where they farmed land which later became part of Fort Chaffee. I need to see if I can visit their old place now that the fort is not what it was - the land was inaccessible to civilians for quite a while.

Altus is a cool place - love to visit the wineries and gorgeous big Catholic church nearby (St. Mary's??) Need to check its name, but the artwork and architecture there are incredibly beautiful. My grandfather attended Hendrix College in Altus, prior to its move to Conway.

I'm planning a summer trip back to Arkansas - maybe I can get up that way and see some of these great NWA places once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas