U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:56 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,756,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My Arkansas ancestors of Protestant German heritage had been in Alabama, Georgia, and North Carolina (that's reverse chronological order) in previous generations, and first settled in Drew County when they first came to Arkansas. I expect they were pretty well "Americanized" by then - they were certainly strong Methodists by that time. They later moved to Sebastian County, closer to the Ozarks, where they farmed land which later became part of Fort Chaffee. I need to see if I can visit their old place now that the fort is not what it was - the land was inaccessible to civilians for quite a while.

Altus is a cool place - love to visit the wineries and gorgeous big Catholic church nearby (St. Mary's??) Need to check its name, but the artwork and architecture there are incredibly beautiful. My grandfather attended Hendrix College in Altus, prior to its move to Conway.

I'm planning a summer trip back to Arkansas - maybe I can get up that way and see some of these great NWA places once again.
We love to have people visit and see why so many of us, especially transplants have fallen in love with the region. I was thinking this weekend when we were touring the Open Road exhibit at Crystal Bridges, how many of us are lucky enough to be able to spend time in one of the country's best Art Museum, then, within a mile of two spend time at a great farmers market? NWA is so diverse. It is hard for people from other regions to realize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times
Hi Maggie, I too relocated here from the mid-west. North Little Rock and Little Rock area is highly concentrated with crime and the public school system needs major improvements. I currently live in NWA and the schools are good, low crime rate and inexpensive to live. It isnt necessarily the most diverse place to live here in NWA so there is still quiet a bit of racism here ( I dont know if this is or will be a factor for you). I just think that minorities should be aware of this. I know that as a parent of little ones; affordability , low crime and schools are important factor over diversity. So despite the racism, lack of diversity in the area I choose NWA for my families safety until I find somewhere else to relocate to. But if you are not a minority this will be heaven. I hope you find what youre looking for.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:05 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,825,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygurl2017 View Post
Hi Maggie, I too relocated here from the mid-west. North Little Rock and Little Rock area is highly concentrated with crime and the public school system needs major improvements. I currently live in NWA and the schools are good, low crime rate and inexpensive to live. It isnt necessarily the most diverse place to live here in NWA so there is still quiet a bit of racism here ( I dont know if this is or will be a factor for you). I just think that minorities should be aware of this. I know that as a parent of little ones; affordability , low crime and schools are important factor over diversity. So despite the racism, lack of diversity in the area I choose NWA for my families safety until I find somewhere else to relocate to. But if you are not a minority this will be heaven. I hope you find what youre looking for.
Can you expound a bit on the racism claim? I hope you aren't going there just due to the lack of racial or ethnic diversity, because that's wrong. It's also wrong to paint an entire region racist just because you had one or two negative encounters or because you saw a confederate flag hanging somewhere.

And remember.....racism goes more than one way.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygurl2017 View Post
sorry chevygurl but a couple things come to mind reading your post: 1-I doubt Maggie is still planning on relocating: she hasn't posted for months now and second, I have no idea where in NWA you live but you are seeing a side many of us do not. considering we have only about 1/2 million people living here, it is considered very diversified. Because of a few consulting firms and WalMart there are thousands of Indians and mid eastern people living here: we have the largest population of Marshalites in the world except for the Marshall Islands: every year the Asian population increases and the church my granddaughter and her family attends, which is very family oriented has dozens of mixed racial families that are very active in the church, plus the number of Hispanics is huge. We have grocery stores and restaurants that represent all these cultures. I have seen very little racism. Of course, no matter where you live there will be some but it isn't apparent here. Homosexuality though not as accepted as say, in Portland or San Francisco isn't frowned on like some places, as long as it isn't flaunted.

As you can see, you and I do not agree on what NWA is like. Of course I don't know what has happened for you to think we are not diversified, so maybe you could fill us in.

BTW: welcome to City data; I see this is your first posting.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:29 PM

3,577 posts, read 2,222,268 times
This thread has made me very curious about AR, particularly NWA. I'm looking for a retirement home, currently live in small town Minnesota after living in Minneapolis/St Paul for all my working life.

MN has changed a lot. There have been so many deaths of young people due to drugs. A lot from the area I'm in. I assume it's worse in the twin cities.

I was mugged in Minneapolis, how foolish of me, daring to walk to work. In St Paul, just 2 blocks down from where I lived there was a massive hunt for a gang member that shot & killed a policeman. Drugs were rampant.

The only thing I can figure out is that the person extolling MN's virtues has to be living quite a way out from the inner city.

I've been focusing on TN for retirement but think I better plan on stopping in NWA on my way to visiting there, Knoxville area.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This thread has made me very curious about AR, particularly NWA. I'm looking for a retirement home, currently live in small town Minnesota after living in Minneapolis/St Paul for all my working life.

MN has changed a lot. There have been so many deaths of young people due to drugs. A lot from the area I'm in. I assume it's worse in the twin cities.

I was mugged in Minneapolis, how foolish of me, daring to walk to work. In St Paul, just 2 blocks down from where I lived there was a massive hunt for a gang member that shot & killed a policeman. Drugs were rampant.

The only thing I can figure out is that the person extolling MN's virtues has to be living quite a way out from the inner city.

I've been focusing on TN for retirement but think I better plan on stopping in NWA on my way to visiting there, Knoxville area.
Well of course I am partial, but did want to throw this in: We checked out TN. spending a week there when we stared planning our retirement. We loved the state and its beauty, but when we visited Bella Vista something just clicked and we knew it was us. You might be surprised to learn how many seniors live here that grew up in MN. and Wisconsin. We have several friends from church that did and I play bridge with a couple of gals from Wisconsin. We have the best of both worlds: we are rural to a degree but within a few minutes can be eating in a great restaurant, shopping at a wonderful mall or telling a great doctor what you are there for. The activities are endless: golf, tennis, fishing and hunting, cards clubs, quilting groups, photography clubs, exercise classes, indoor and outdoor swimming and water walking. I don't think there is an activity you can't find here. Well I am sure there are some but the popular ones are all here. Property is inexpensive compared to most parts of our great country. And crime, it is almost non existent. I am sure you have heard stories of how Bible belt, in your face southerners are: well, they can be, yes, but for those who do not have or want organized religion no one will ever bother you about it.

Do we have problems? Of course, there is a section of NWA that does have a gang problem. I think almost every region has some. It is isolated enough here that many people are not even aware it exists.

Now I will jump off my high horse: just thought I would let you know how one person feels about living in NWA. Feel free to PM me if your have any questions.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:01 PM

138 posts, read 87,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry chevygurl but a couple things come to mind reading your post: 1-I doubt Maggie is still planning on relocating: she hasn't posted for months now and second, I have no idea where in NWA you live but you are seeing a side many of us do not. considering we have only about 1/2 million people living here, it is considered very diversified. Because of a few consulting firms and WalMart there are thousands of Indians and mid eastern people living here: we have the largest population of Marshalites in the world except for the Marshall Islands: every year the Asian population increases and the church my granddaughter and her family attends, which is very family oriented has dozens of mixed racial families that are very active in the church, plus the number of Hispanics is huge. We have grocery stores and restaurants that represent all these cultures. I have seen very little racism. Of course, no matter where you live there will be some but it isn't apparent here. Homosexuality though not as accepted as say, in Portland or San Francisco isn't frowned on like some places, as long as it isn't flaunted.

As you can see, you and I do not agree on what NWA is like. Of course I don't know what has happened for you to think we are not diversified, so maybe you could fill us in.

BTW: welcome to City data; I see this is your first posting.
Chevygurl has a point. NWA is somewhat confusing for me. I do agree that NWA is the most diverse and desirable part of AR. Despite all the diversity, there are still a large number of folks who can't handle that diversity. Of course, there are crazy people everywhere, even Portland, but NWA isn't a safe haven by any means. For an area that is supposedly diverse and accepting, the people elect the most extreme political candidates possible, IMO. I'm curious though, what must one do to "flaunt" in your eyes? One person's perception of flaunting is completely different from another. When you tell an LGBT individual that they'll be fine as long as they don't flaunt, it's the same as telling them to stay in the closet and live in fear. They constantly have to check if their flaunting level is high enough to attract a physical or emotional attack from a bigot.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:19 PM

90 posts, read 56,258 times
I worked out of bentonville for 10 years, and i come from a small town call Malvern. So i seen it all in diversity. NWA is growing because of all the high tech jobs it is creating and fact that you have the razorbacks there. The smaller towns such as were the duggars live are more religous than the big town it self is. The town is trying to be hip and cool but doing so without the need to show off at the same time. Just take a drive and look for your self. Everybody has their own thoughts about this town. It is growing and their will be pockets of hatred in the town, but thats everywhere you go.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
Chevygurl has a point. NWA is somewhat confusing for me. I do agree that NWA is the most diverse and desirable part of AR. Despite all the diversity, there are still a large number of folks who can't handle that diversity. Of course, there are crazy people everywhere, even Portland, but NWA isn't a safe haven by any means. For an area that is supposedly diverse and accepting, the people elect the most extreme political candidates possible, IMO. I'm curious though, what must one do to "flaunt" in your eyes? One person's perception of flaunting is completely different from another. When you tell an LGBT individual that they'll be fine as long as they don't flaunt, it's the same as telling them to stay in the closet and live in fear. They constantly have to check if their flaunting level is high enough to attract a physical or emotional attack from a bigot.
Obviously there are bigoted people in NWA. There are some everywhere as you mentioned, but NWA is still the most diverse region of the state. I am not taking just LGBT, I am talking about religion, ethnicity, culture, income variety, race, etc, And no one is suggesting anyone stay in the closet, but there is a huge difference between staying in the closet and flaunting. No one needs to explain the difference. Can you tell me a region in AR that is more open to gays than NWA? We are discussing NWA and you agree it is the most diverse part of AR. That is my point as well. I certainly would not pretend it is the most open state in the union or liberal particularly, though there are liberal parts, like Fayetteville and Eureka Springs for starters. How about telling s which candidates we have elected that are extreme? There are a few on both sides that might not meet with everyone's approval, but we do have a balance. Yes, the majority are Republicans but most are not extreme.

I guess we just see things differently and that is what these boards are all about. My only concern is judging without giving examples.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:24 PM

138 posts, read 87,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Obviously there are bigoted people in NWA. There are some everywhere as you mentioned, but NWA is still the most diverse region of the state. I am not taking just LGBT, I am talking about religion, ethnicity, culture, income variety, race, etc, And no one is suggesting anyone stay in the closet, but there is a huge difference between staying in the closet and flaunting. No one needs to explain the difference. Can you tell me a region in AR that is more open to gays than NWA? We are discussing NWA and you agree it is the most diverse part of AR. That is my point as well. I certainly would not pretend it is the most open state in the union or liberal particularly, though there are liberal parts, like Fayetteville and Eureka Springs for starters. How about telling s which candidates we have elected that are extreme? There are a few on both sides that might not meet with everyone's approval, but we do have a balance. Yes, the majority are Republicans but most are not extreme.

I guess we just see things differently and that is what these boards are all about. My only concern is judging without giving examples.
That's your opinion. Again, unless you have walked that path, you don't know what it feels like to be told not to flaunt. Some men are feminine by nature and some women are masculine by nature. Whether they're gay or not, just being different is usually all it takes for a bigot to assume someone is flaunting.

As far as political candidates go, it's no secret how Bart Hester and Bob Ballinger feel about LGBT folks. Keep in mind, the majority of their constituents voted for them and they represent the mindset of the majority of people who live there. As for individual towns, Fayetteville is split down the middle. Voters repealed the LGBT civil rights ordinance by a 52% vote. Later, the voters passed another, similar ordinance by 52.74% vote. So half the town wants one thing and the other half wants something else. Asking me to compare NWA or the rest of AR is like trying to get me to choose between a cow patty and a horse apple. NWA is a more desirable place to live because of better roads, schools, jobs, etc. However, It's only diverse because people move there and water it down a bit, not because the natives want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas