U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 11:11 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,236,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
Personally, I'd recommend Hot Springs over Little Rock, but that's my opinion. With Little Rock, Little Rock is mostly Black, North Little Rock is mostly white.
So your recommendation is based on "you don't want to live with Black people?" Granted, there are Black people who are not the most desirable neighbors; however, there are a good number of us who are hard-working citizens who contribute positively to society.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,853,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
So your recommendation is based on "you don't want to live with Black people?" Granted, there are Black people who are not the most desirable neighbors; however, there are a good number of us who are hard-working citizens who contribute positively to society.
It should go without saying that there are people of every size, shape and color who can be undesirable neighbors. I personally could care less what my neighbors look like just so long as they want to better our community for the sake of the community.

Not to be too self-righteous, but it's a shame not everyone feels the same way.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:01 PM

452 posts, read 1,490,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I really shouldn't be answering this as our experience is mostly from visits to the various areas and hear say, but I don't think Hot Springs would be the place to live as much as bryant and Benton for families. Any area that is primarily a tourist town isn't as good for kids. My humble opinion only.

Nita

I can't totally disagree with that statement, even tho it hurts a bit to see it.
I've talked with kids who moan and groan over "nothing to do" and think...for Pete's sake...put the skate boards in the closet and go to the museum or the art galleries down town; check out the animal shelter that needs volunteers or go to one of the plays at the Pocket Theatre or the Poetry Slam! We have coffee shops all over town and kids, today, HAVE to have thier coffee!
But, it's like they wait for someone to take them by the hand, instead of looking around at what's right at the end of their noses. Adults can be the same way.

I think, too, some folks gripe about our taxes (rightly so) but our services are wonderful...hospitals and schools and the roads are getting better We have that fabulous Arkansas School for Science and Mathmatics and all kinds of artsy things going on in the summer...the chalk drawings downtown for example. It's awesome!

Compared to the way it was here when my kids were in school, this city is amazing. BUT, Little Rock would has things to brag about also.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:43 PM

61 posts, read 173,036 times
Thank you!! Your trip to get the sewing machine sounds truly whimsical!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:18 PM

113 posts, read 561,287 times
I never said I didn't want to live with black folks..., thats something you felt! An incorrect conclusion on your part because you took it personal and that is wrong! Certainly, there are both good and bad people of all races, colors, nationalities or whatever! I said that Little Rock and North Little Rock are separated by the Arkansas River and that the predominant colors live either on the one side or the other, based on where they choose to live! Don't take it personal CE Speed!

When I lived in Hot Springs Arkansas, it also had two downtown areas..., one for blacks and the other for whites, but that was many years ago, I don't know how it is today because I haven't been there in many years. Even in my hometown, which is not in the state I live in now, I remember when the blacks and the whites didn't live in the same neighborhoods. A white person couldn't buy into a black neighborhood, nor could a black person buy into a white neighborhood. But, that is all changed since then! That was before all the issues of the Civil Rights Era came to the forefront! I even had a very close friend who marched with Dr. Martin Luther King on several occaisions in Alabama (Selma, Montgomery, and Birmingham), and I dearly respected their stand for what they stood for at that time! Today, both my friend and Dr. King are dead, and have been for many years.

As late as 1969 when I was in Knoxville Tennessee, they still had two areas in each public place, one for blacks and one for whites.

I remember those times very well! Maybe you don't! Maybe you are not old enough to remember!

I also had a brother who was in Alabama when those race riots of the 1960"s took place! He was in Little rock when a Freedom Rider was killed at the Greyhound Bus Station and my brother actually saw it take place! Back then, all you had to do was merely step off the sidewalk and bam, you were killed! People by the hundreds bolted their doors and cocked their guns, just waiting because the tension was so tense! I'm just glad those days are over! My father had a black woman beg him to take her out of the South back in the 1950's because she dearly feared for her life!!! She wanted to hide in the trunk of his car. I don't know my father's response to that lady. He was somewhere between Arkansas and Florida when that took place in the 1950's.

When I chose to marry, the person I married was of a different race than I. My Mother's relatives couldn't accept that, which was a major reason why I left that area! I was tired of in-law problems which my Mother's brothers and sisters created! If they couldn't accept my choice, I couldn't accept them either!

Every race has felt discrimination at one time or another..., don't forget it!

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-06-2008 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: change in the tense of a verb, present to past

Old 04-06-2008, 03:26 PM

362 posts, read 1,088,426 times
"I said that Little Rock and North Little Rock are separated by the Arkansas River and that the predominant colors live either on the one side or the other..."
Every incorporated city in Pulaski County (including Little Rock and North Little Rock) are majority white except for Wrightsville. Little Rock is only 40% black and North Little Rock is 34% black. I still don't understand where your idea about Little Rock being mainly black and North Little Rock being mainly white comes from.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 PM

Maybe you didn't live there when I lived there? If its changed, its changed.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,895,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRY_ANGEL_HORSE View Post
Which is the better family environment between Hot Springs or Little Rock ??? Is there a place I can live somewhere in the middle ???? Where is the best place to raise kids !!!! More bang for the buck

MODERATOR: This is the topic of this thread...not black and white, LR vs NLR, or who wants to live beside who. Could we PLEASE for the love of pete stop turning every thread into a race issue?

I'm going to have to ask everyone to stay on track with their conversations - we're starting to derail badly every time. Please remember the Terms of Service and don't hijack. I understand that threads take twists and turns, but we're way far from where we started from.

Thank you.

Sam

Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 PM

350 posts, read 1,124,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_the_gloaming View Post
Maybe you didn't live there when I lived there? If its changed, its changed.
I did. It was never that way, I have no idea where you got this from. NPP is right.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:18 PM

Default Not so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
I did. It was never that way, I have no idea where you got this from. NPP is right.
Moderator cut: edit For all conscerned...,

I had lived in Hot Springs quite awhile before my friend, a black man showed me where the downtown area was for blacks! During the time I lived in Hot Springs, which was quite awhile, I got to know that area extremely well! Maybe you don't know Hot Springs as well as I did!

The predominant area for Hot Springs is along Central Avenue, near where Mercy Medical Center is at, along where the bath houses and night clubs are located: The Tender Trap, The Black Orchid, the Caboret and the Vapors Supper Club. This is or was the predominant downtown area for whites. There was a man who owned several ducks (a military surplus amphibian vehicle for both land and water) which were painted dark green, who advertised his business by parking one of his ducks near Mercy Medical Center..., which was a tourist attraction.

The predominant downtown area for blacks is or was a bit to the east. If you'll go past the building which houses the city government offices, down hill, past an oval drive, forgot the name of the street because it wasn't important to me at the time, and a few blocks south from there, almost like if you were planing on going in the general direction of Malvern, you'll find another area which is or was at the time I lived there mostly black! That black area wasn't as well known and I didn't know of it until I had lived there almost two years.

I can still prove in writing that I used to live in Hot Springs because I still have my Arkansas Drivers License which has my Hot Springs address on it!

When I first moved to Hot Springs, I lived not far from Granny's Attic..., a place along the west end of Hot Springs which was down the hill and to the west of Wal mart, along U. S. highway 270, near the Bull Bayou bridge and Jim and Judy lacky's Grocery Store. Jim and Judy's Grocery Store had a hydraulic lift outside along the road that went to where I used to live. To find where I lived, which was next to Lake Hamilton, you'd take that road back into the woods five miles, turn to your left, and then turn to hour left again when you came to an old abandoned logging road that went up the mountain, under very tall grass that was taller than my car, hence, I'd drive thru and under the grass to get to my place, which was only about a five minute walk from unincorporated Lake Hamilton, which also had a volunteer fire department because it was slightly outside the city limits of Hot Springs proper. I moved from there because that place proved to be unsatisfactory for me! Then, I moved further south to a more incorporated area of the lake where at least I had neighbors I could rely on if I had a problem! Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-07-2008 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: addit' info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or