Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 AM

61 posts, read 212,028 times

Advertisements

Which is the better family environment between Hot Springs or Little Rock ??? Is there a place I can live somewhere in the middle ???? Where is the best place to raise kids !!!! More bang for the buck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,206,535 times
I'd say Bryant, which is growing so rapidly and is now virtually a suburb of Little Rock. Look at this link from City Data:

Bryant, Arkansas (AR) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Schools are pretty good and there's an emphasis on family. The area around Hurricane Lake seems to be very popular.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM

264 posts, read 1,145,947 times
Benton is nice. Its growing pretty fast also. Hot Springs is awesome too, especially if you like the outdoors.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM

308 posts, read 1,613,002 times
I agree with Sam I Am and TN-rox--I'd go with the Benton/Bryant area between Hot Springs and Little Rock. They're more family oriented, their schools have a better reputation, and they are conveniently located to make a trip in either direction if needed.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM

113 posts, read 651,616 times
I used to live in Hot Springs many years ago. Often, I'd commute to Little Rock and Ft. Smith, often every week. It all depends on what you're looking for. First, go there, look it over, contact the Chamber of Commerce, ask questions, let your conscience be your guide and go from there. I've found that many times the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence. Get some first hand knowledge yourself, then make your own decisions. Personally, I'd recommend Hot Springs over Little Rock, but that's my opinion. With Little Rock, Little Rock is mostly Black, North Little Rock is mostly white. The Arkansas River separates the two.

The Benton area is nice too! It gives you the option of both places with a little effort. However, I like Conway more than Benton. Russelville and Clarksville are very nice too! I bought an old 1903 minnesota treadle sewing machine near Russelville which I still have..., originally that machine was sold thru the Sears and Roebuck catalog. To find where I bought that machine, you take a dirt road to go across I-40 to where there's a fork in the road. There's a tree there with a squirrell in it. Take the left fork. Go to an old house with lots of antiques laying all aroun' the place. The man there had a wife with the flu and he was ailin' too. He used to go to all the ol' auctions, buy out the place, keep d' stuff until someone like me came along an' bought it. I felt like I had taken a trip thru the Smithsonian Institute after seeing all d' stuff he had. LOL.

Last edited by in_the_gloaming; 04-03-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: addit'l info.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:50 PM

350 posts, read 1,282,969 times
"With Little Rock, Little Rock is mostly Black, North Little Rock is mostly white. The Arkansas River separates the two"

Huh? Neither is mostly black - LR is 40%, NLR 35%.

Hot Springs and Little Rock are higher than most of the state, the former mostly because of its status as a tourist town and a high number of rentals and vacation homes. Saline County, especially Benton, is a lot cheaper. I prefer Little Rock simply because there's a lot more to do but Hot Springs has plenty for families, including Magic Springs, Mid America Science Museum, Lakes Hamilton and Ouachita, etc. If you choose the Hot Springs area realize that you have two separate school districts - one as good as any in the state (Lakeside) and one as bad as any (Hot Springs). The Lake Hamilton district is solid as well. Bryant isn't a bad place to live but is suburban, you have to drive to LR to find much to do. Schools are good and the area's growing as fast as any city in Arkansas. It's not a "virtual suburb", it's just a few minutes from Little Rock.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
I really shouldn't be answering this as our experience is mostly from visits to the various areas and hear say, but I don't think Hot Springs would be the place to live as much as bryant and Benton for families. Any area that is primarily a tourist town isn't as good for kids. My humble opinion only.

Nita

Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,179,232 times
Keep in mind gas prices. They are only going to get higher! At $4-5 per gallon, do you really want to commute from Hot Springs? I would suggest Little Rock but if you are indeed terrified of the school district, go for Bryant. It is one of the fastest growing suburbs of Little Rock, and a recent report came out that showed that Saline County is one of the few counties in the state that housing prices are actually rising instead of declining.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:12 PM

154 posts, read 676,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRY_ANGEL_HORSE View Post
Which is the better family environment between Hot Springs or Little Rock ??? Is there a place I can live somewhere in the middle ???? Where is the best place to raise kids !!!! More bang for the buck

Hot Springs ... very scenic area. Good schools and lots to do outdoors for families.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:09 AM

288 posts, read 1,072,348 times
Hot Springs is in Garland County, Little Rock is in Pulaski County. Saline County is between them. I would highly recommend that you look somewhere in Saline County, including the towns mentioned previously such as Benton / Bryant. I'm in Hot Springs Village, in western Saline County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas