U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:13 PM

104 posts, read 401,604 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the good info, and by all means the more the better! I have posted on a few other states threads, but for some reason I have been drawn more and more to AR, your state looks beautiful, and very "outdoorsy", which I love. I really like the areas around water, with good hunting and fishing, I would like to be able to buy about 5 to 10 acres and build a house but live close enough to a decent size (not hugh) city to get the benifits(20,000+). Family, Family, Family, is very important to me, so saftey and community is a most.
Any info (names) on Power companies, EMC's, Telephone companies, Comunication companies, Cable companies would be greatly apperciates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM

5,981 posts, read 15,906,069 times
Oh, hon...there are more electric companies than you can shake a stick at. Some are little co-ops, then there's Entergy (the old Arkansas Power and Light). Telephone is the same way, unless you live in Russellville - then you have your choice of CenturyTel or CenturyTel. Cable is Suddenlink and Cox (NWA and Little Rock) - probably more, those are the only two I know of. Southwestern Bell is still the phone company for the major area around Little Rock. Alltel is headquartered in Little Rock, but of course they are primarily cell and whatever else it is they do.

I can't say enough good about Russellville and the river valley area...about 30K population, a decent college, and NOTHING crime-wise ever happens here. If it does it is truly a fluke. It's a slow paced town. The nuclear plant is here, Nuclear One - I'm wondering about some sort of job with them that might tie in with what you've done. The one thing I would say is that employment opportunities are tight in Arkansas and the economy isn't helping any...land your job before making your move unless you've got a substantial reserve.

There are a ton of parks here - lots of good hiking trails, Lake Dardanelle, the river...we still have a Veteran's Day parade, the Christmas parade...it's a very community-oriented place, but growing all the time. I think the land prices are quite reasonable, especially if you go over into Yell or Logan counties...you're still with a few miles of Russellville and still within 90 minutes of Little Rock even if you go all the way to Clarksville.

We absolutely love it here and think it would be a great place to raise kids...wish we'd had the opportunity, but ours were long grown by the time we got here. I hear parents of teens say there's really nothing for them to do, but hopefully that will change...of course, I hear that same song everywhere...

Old 02-12-2008, 07:50 PM

Do you know what the web site for SouthWestern Bell is? Is it AT&T, thats what keeps coming up when I google it? Thanks!! Does any one know any specific "Co-op's, EMC's, Power companines, phone Companies" in the north or north west area.....Thanks again

Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 AM

140 posts, read 422,505 times
Default Akransas ,"Naturally Great State"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy-n-Iraq View Post
Do you know what the web site for SouthWestern Bell is? Is it AT&T, thats what keeps coming up when I google it? Thanks!! Does any one know any specific "Co-op's, EMC's, Power companines, phone Companies" in the north or north west area.....Thanks again
Our Phone Company in this area,(flippin, or Yellville),North Central ARkansas- is Natco, electric is Entergy, those guys make good money if you work hard like the military , no problems. Look at Baxter Bulletin Online for Jobs, Mountain Echo is also local paper, but not online. Chamber of commerce sites can also help you, our county is Marion, next to Baxter County.Our area is a lot like Mayberry, and the schools have improved, with many families that would welcome yours. we live near the White River , not far from the Buffalo river, also very close to Bulls SHoals Lake.We raise a few chickens so we have fresh eggs, and grow Organic Veggies, its worth living rural , so many rewards for your family. The Tornadoes skipped over and around us, because we live in the hills, Tornadoes like flat land better. Plus our area has two large Lakes that seem to split the storms, our weather is much milder than just an hour north of us. WIldlife abounds, True Frogs, reptiles, Turtles, Deer, Fox, Eagles, herons, Woodie Ducks , BobWhites, Cotton Tail Rabbits, Red Cardinals, Blue Birds, JAys, Few Bats, Caves to explore, Clean Water and Air, very low crime, nice friendly neighbors who help and respect each other, Womens Mug CLub, VFD , Vets are very respected , thank you for Serving Freedom.Do contact us if you come to this area, your always welcome, and my Wife is a wonderful cook and host. Good Luck, and Best wishes.

Last edited by Greenmon; 02-13-2008 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: addtitions

Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,857,865 times
Quote:
Ozarks Electric Cooperative and SWEPCO

Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 44,802 times
I love Mt View also....wonderful small town...not sure about the lineman job..but would think at least in Batesville...about 1/2 hour away and there is a hospital in Mt View! Lots of music, if you like the old music...Donna

Old 02-13-2008, 08:03 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks, yall have been super helpful! Keep sending your oppinions, they have been great! The more info the better

Im kinda leaning toward the Fayetteville, and north Area. But not sure yet, me, my wife, and son are thinking about maybe taking a trip to the area after I get back from Iraq, for a vacation. When is a good time of year to come, and what kinda family things are there too do? Thanks again, God Bless

Whats the major power/telephone company in that area (is it the same as previously posted?

Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Thanks, yall have been super helpful! Keep sending your oppinions, they have been great! The more info the better

Im kinda leaning toward the Fayetteville, and north Area. But not sure yet, me, my wife, and son are thinking about maybe taking a trip to the area after I get back from Iraq, for a vacation. When is a good time of year to come, and what kinda family things are there too do? Thanks again, God Bless

Whats the major power/telephone company in that area (is it the same as previously posted?
all I can say, is thank you so much for the time you are giving to our country. God be with you and return to America soon.

We are re-locating to NW Ar in a few months. Although we are not experts about AR so really fell in love with the area. It offers the outdoor life, rural living and yet is close to medical facilities, good shopping, restaurants and the university.

Nita

Old 02-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Default (North, North West) Weather??

Any info about the weather would be greatly appreciated as well, (north, north west), thanks.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 AM

362 posts, read 1,089,173 times
[quote=Sam I Am;2796731]Cable is Suddenlink and Cox (NWA and Little Rock) QUOTE]
Just to make a correction, the Little Rock area is Comcastic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or